Cakewzrd's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, January 25th, 2013 4:28 AM

DSL overages

Just started receiving emails regarding our internet service.  The emails stated that we were exceeding the 150GB cap that att had.  We didnt even know this policy had changed  which I found out by googling it after receiving the emails.  Because we can not figure out what, when or why we are suddenly supposedly using so much internet data usage I went online to see what was causing this.  From ATT's site I was able to see only that we have more than tripled our usage from any other month since this policy change, but not specifically what or why.  So......I am completely stumped as to what is the cause of this sudden spike in usage.  My son isnt even getting on the internet lately due to slow internet speeds and the internet constantly shutting off.  We have a technician coming out tomorrow to replace the lines outside due to our line being damaged by our  yard cutter.  We are hoping that stops our poor internet service.  We live out in the country so we do not have many choices for internet service.

Is anyone else having this problem of high data usage spikes without a known cause?  Is there anywhere that we could see more specific usage details? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

@Cakewzrd wrote:

Just started receiving emails regarding our internet service.  The emails stated that we were exceeding the 150GB cap that att had.  We didnt even know this policy had changed  which I found out by googling it after receiving the emails.  Because we can not figure out what, when or why we are suddenly supposedly using so much internet data usage I went online to see what was causing this.  From ATT's site I was able to see only that we have more than tripled our usage from any other month since this policy change, but not specifically what or why.  So......I am completely stumped as to what is the cause of this sudden spike in usage.  My son isnt even getting on the internet lately due to slow internet speeds and the internet constantly shutting off.  We have a technician coming out tomorrow to replace the lines outside due to our line being damaged by our  yard cutter.  We are hoping that stops our poor internet service.  We live out in the country so we do not have many choices for internet service.

Is anyone else having this problem of high data usage spikes without a known cause?  Is there anywhere that we could see more specific usage details? 

Cakewzrd,

In my opinion sites where you watch videos especially in HD will use the most bandwidth. I have included a link from ATT that goes into more detail on broadband usage. I hope your repair goes well and your service is back up and running at it's peak.

Broadband Usage Facts

James

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Mine also has gone off the chart. Not sure why it has doubled when our usage hasn't doubled.  This started about 3 months ago.  I am NOT a happy customer.  And now DSL is completely out.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Mine went out on Dec 7th and will not connect.  I don't even get a connection light. Spent 45 minutes on hold last night.  And over an hour this morning. I am one perturbed customer.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

You all are the only ones. We too are having sudden heavy spikes in ours. most uverse members dont get charge the overages like us people who have to have the dsl.  With hardly any other services in areas, we are the ones who are getting stuck with this policy, that is controlling how we use the internet. which btw is not a cell phone

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I want information on how to see my DSL usage.  I have tried everything and all I end up with is information on what can cause high usage and other information that I am tired of seeing!  I even had a support person on "chat" tell me that information is unavailable!  I have wasted hours trying to get this information.  I was even told my plan had 1024 GBs which is obviously incorrect.   I found useless instructions entitled "Data calculator" and it says Monitor your use regularly if you use a lot of data.  However, it eventually states not for DSL!  That's the only internet service available with ATT where I live.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I follow all the instructions to check my DSL internet usage and I get nowhere.  This is the message I see when going to:

DSL Internet Details > DSL Internet Past Usage Report!

Usage Reports

"We're unable to display your usage right now. We'll alert you via email whenever you're nearing your data plan limit. 

To learn more about how to manage your usage, please visit www.att.com/internet-usage."

I HAVE SPENT HOURS TRYING TO GET A REPORT!  I do not need information of what generates usage.  I have printed and literally read a book of ATT's  info that does not give me anything I need.  I may not have written this in the proper place but I cannot seem to find where to go with my question/problem!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Did you ever figure it out

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.