rebranger's profile

Curator

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 12:49 AM

Why is the ATT network so slow, advertised speed 768 Mbps, actual speed 225???

Why is the ATT network so slow, advertised speed 768 Mbps, actual speed 225???

Check your speed at www.speedtest.com and see for yourself!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing slower speed than you expected. There are many factors that can contribute to your online experience. 

Check out this article on troubleshooting internet speeds: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401526#fbid=10u6wNlCTc7

Here's an article that discusses impact: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB408826#fbid=10u6wNlCTc7

I hope this information helps!

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

Not sure if there is that much differance between a DSL connect and a u-verse connect, but the most direct factor affecting your actual connect speed is litteraly how far you are from the network access point:. that is how long the line is, fropm your modem, to where the physical device that changes the line signal to the digital truck.

Ideal distance is like 700 feet, and drops fast if it's longer than that. over I think, about 2000 feet, the signal is so weak, it's not really usable.

Based on your results, sounds like you are someplace inbetween.. You get a usable signal, but it is not optimal.

To be fair, however, if your reported speed IS Mbps, and not Kbps, that is actualy VERY good, and should be way more brodband than you will likly use.

If, as I suspect, it is Kbps, that is a different story, but to be honest, that small amount of differance in the line speed is not really significant overall. Slow is slow, at any speed.

Seriously though, probably the best you can do in any case, is upgrade your phone lines to cat-5. That shoud at least maximize the signal quality if not the actual strength.

I am not really a tech, and others could tell this WAY better, but best i could share. Hope it has some value for ya. Goood luck

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

WHere does anyone get 768M??? I'm stuck with 3M DSL and AT&T lobbied to kill the cable franchises so they could sell U-Verse only they don't sell it here.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

I am sure it is a typo, and he was refering to Kilobytes, not Maega bytes. The top rated connects are only in the 100-300 megabite range.

What he described sounded like a low level DSL connect, and at 768 K, that is still very slow. Usable, still way better than dialup, but lots of sites will not even allow connections at those low speeds. I get 6Mbps with my DSL connect, and I find, it's actualy okay for my web surfing. My main concern deals more with keeping track of my data ussage, not my connction speed.

One last, minor point: If you click on the origional posters link for a speed test, first thing that site wants to do is download and install a program on your PC. Not sayinmg it is malicious or malware just unexpected amd sets off alarm bells in my head.

Have done speed tests in the past from several hosts, and NONE requre that you download and install an executable file first.

My two cents worth, keep the change.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I'm experiencing similar issues with my newly upgraded 45Mbps Uverse service. About a month ago, I upgraded from 12Mbps to the 45Mbps service. When I was on the 12 Meg service, I would consistently get anywhere from 9-12 Meg download, which I was happy with. When I wiched to 45, I had to get my modem and the line to my house replaced to handle the higher speeds. Since then, I have never seen over 20-25 Meg, and several times throughout the day, I would only get 1.5-2Mbps, which is almost impossible to even browse the internet. It seems like I was getting better service when I was on the 12Mbps service. I know that serveral things could factor in to the slower speed, but I have everything configured the same, and just as many devices connected as when I was on the 12 Meg service. I tried several troubleshooting steps, reset the router, cleared cache on internet browsers on all devices, moved closer to the router, etc. The biggest part that aggrivates me is when I'm trying to do something online, and I can barely navigate anywhere because my speed is less than 2 Meg. I'm really considering going down to a lower speed to see if I get a better consistency. I really don't want to switch to another provider, because I love the Uverse TV service.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

you're only supposed to get 70% speed of the package you applied for. there are many ways to boost the speed of your internet connection and one of the best solution I suggest if you're using a wireless connection is to change your wireless channel by accessing your guid.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

I don't fully understand this thruput thing, but i swear, I seem to load web pages faster on my system with a DSL 6mbps connection, than my dad gets on his system with an up to 50Mbps connect.

BUT, he has no data limits on his connection, and I do, so it is all a trade off.

If it matters, both systems are windows 7 pro, and firefox.

All other stats are pretty much the sma,e asside from the line speed.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

@pjacobs76 

Can you make a new thread here on the internet forums with your issues so that we can assist you better?

Is this a wired or wireless connection? If it's wireless, what do you get over wired?

If it's it's wireless, also do the following:

- Go to http://192.168.1.254

- Try wireless channels 1,6, or 11 and see what one works best. Do not use any other channel or you're asking for major trouble in the near future with worse performance than you have now.

- Raise your gateway as high as possible

- Make your gateway as centered as possible to our area you're trying to cover

pjacobs76, what device are you running these tests on? If it's a laptop or desktop, have you ever considered upgrading your wireless adapters?

@Tigereyze209 

Compared to AT&T DSL, U-verse has a slight increase of latency, but nothing enough to make much of a noticable difference. Your computer might just have more power than his and is able to process the pages faster. Also, if he downloads a lot of addons/extensions, it will bog down his browser.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

@Darknessrise  Sorry to take so long to get back to you, got sidetracked in life, other thigs, etc.

Did a check on system setups, etc. Truth is, my friends system's cpu is slightly more powerful than mine, all other characteristics being about the same.

My browser uses way more plugins, just 'cause I do more, where he mostly reads news, an occasional video, etc. so his is almost bare bones for extras.

The cable service is comcast, not u-verse. Never seen u-verse used even once, so have not a clue how it conpares to comcast cable.

Anyways, still noticing how my system setup seems to load a page faster than his does. Mind you, still gets there, and once connected, 50 mbps is gonna beat 6 mbps hands down any time.

Appreciate the feedback. Later

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.