Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Mar 8, 2013
8:18:42 PM
View profile
Slow speeds, packet loss/high ping, terrible customer support.

I have had AT&T high speed DSL for several years now only because there are a lack of ISP's in the area but I have come here to voice my opinion and warn others with my experience and feelings on "High Speed" DSL by AT&T.  First year I had DSL, it was stable didn't get ping spikes and packet loss, it was pretty consistant.  The download speeds are god awful but the ping was consistant and I could deal with that.  As of now and for maybe the last year ive had horrible inconsistant ping averaging 200+ and spiking up to 1,000.  I use the internet for many things; browsing, gaming, watching movies ect.  While gaming I have horrible delay and its due to the high ping, it wasnt like this when I first had the DSL service.  I know it is not my equipment because I have tried 2 different modems and I have a spare router I have also tried.  Each produce the same result. Poor stability, high ping, at times very slow download speeds.   So with all of these problems ive been having, I decided to call customer support.  I called them and was connected to customer service, I explained my problems and he literally kept asking me to go to speedtest to give him the results, the download speeds were normal so he just brushed it off as if everything was working ok.  I had to explain that the ping was high most all the time and very inconsistant.  I repeated this at least 15 times before the call was over and he didnt even know what "ping" or "latency" meant, I had to define it for him.  Not only that but he was condescending.  So after talking to customer service everything was the same as it was before even talking to the guy, slow internet.  I let it slide for a couple weeks and was still having the same issues.  Called them again and was connected to a female, she was very polite, big change from the previous rep.  She was polite but nothing was really resolved.  Still have the same issues to this day.  I am very unsatisfied with this service and I feel as though I am being ripped off every month.  Most likely will be switching to another ISP in the area because this obviously is not working.  Unstable internet, high ping, slow download speeds, and bad customer service.  All of which I have experienced while using the DSL service.  I will most likely be switching services within a couple weeks unless something changes.  I won't be calling the customer service line anymore because its proven to be a waste of time.

I have had AT&T high speed DSL for several years now only because there are a lack of ISP's in the area but I have come here to voice my opinion and warn others with my experience and feelings on "High Speed" DSL by AT&T.  First year I had DSL, it was stable didn't get ping spikes and packet loss, it was pretty consistant.  The download speeds are god awful but the ping was consistant and I could deal with that.  As of now and for maybe the last year ive had horrible inconsistant ping averaging 200+ and spiking up to 1,000.  I use the internet for many things; browsing, gaming, watching movies ect.  While gaming I have horrible delay and its due to the high ping, it wasnt like this when I first had the DSL service.  I know it is not my equipment because I have tried 2 different modems and I have a spare router I have also tried.  Each produce the same result. Poor stability, high ping, at times very slow download speeds.   So with all of these problems ive been having, I decided to call customer support.  I called them and was connected to customer service, I explained my problems and he literally kept asking me to go to speedtest to give him the results, the download speeds were normal so he just brushed it off as if everything was working ok.  I had to explain that the ping was high most all the time and very inconsistant.  I repeated this at least 15 times before the call was over and he didnt even know what "ping" or "latency" meant, I had to define it for him.  Not only that but he was condescending.  So after talking to customer service everything was the same as it was before even talking to the guy, slow internet.  I let it slide for a couple weeks and was still having the same issues.  Called them again and was connected to a female, she was very polite, big change from the previous rep.  She was polite but nothing was really resolved.  Still have the same issues to this day.  I am very unsatisfied with this service and I feel as though I am being ripped off every month.  Most likely will be switching to another ISP in the area because this obviously is not working.  Unstable internet, high ping, slow download speeds, and bad customer service.  All of which I have experienced while using the DSL service.  I will most likely be switching services within a couple weeks unless something changes.  I won't be calling the customer service line anymore because its proven to be a waste of time.

Slow speeds, packet loss/high ping, terrible customer support.

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2013 10:21:17 PM
(0)
Professor
Cannot help you, unless you post pings & trace routes to the servers you are having issues with. 99.99% of the time, the issue is outside of the ATT network, and there is nothing ATT would be able to do to resolve the other party's issue.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"
Cannot help you, unless you post pings & trace routes to the servers you are having issues with. 99.99% of the time, the issue is outside of the ATT network, and there is nothing ATT would be able to do to resolve the other party's issue.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Re: Slow speeds, packet loss/high ping, terrible customer support.

2 of 5 (2,264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2013 11:08:13 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Apr 6, 2013 at 5:41:04 AM

I am so with you!  I have had the same issues.  At&t's response is to switch to U-Verse but why would anyone switch to U-Verse when Xfinity is so much better?

[removed link to infected website]

I am so with you!  I have had the same issues.  At&t's response is to switch to U-Verse but why would anyone switch to U-Verse when Xfinity is so much better?

[removed link to infected website]

[ Edited ]
3 of 5 (2,149 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 4:00:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

I had to switch service to another ISP just to even post this. Internet is horrible and that automated customer service line is worse.  Been trying to cancel my DSL service for a week now..the only way I can get through to "human" is to say I want to SIGN UP for service.  Done with AT&T.

I had to switch service to another ISP just to even post this. Internet is horrible and that automated customer service line is worse.  Been trying to cancel my DSL service for a week now..the only way I can get through to "human" is to say I want to SIGN UP for service.  Done with AT&T.

4 of 5 (1,962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2014 10:24:58 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have really long pings, and terrible download/upload speeds. When I do a tracert my first leg, the Uverse hop is fine, 1ms or less. The rest of the route is terrible:

1ms to         192.168.1.254 - dsldevice.att.net

1007ms to   104.49.220..3 - lightspeed.frokca.net - this is their router, probably local

next hop timed out

952 ms to      12.83.77.141

618ms to       12.122.136.181

next hop timed out, another route attempted

672ms to     216.239.49.168

934ms to     209.85.246.253

946ms to       72.14.232.63

450ms to       72.14.233.200 - these are probbaly in the same building

808ms to     216.239.48.165

889ms to         8.8.8.8

a ping is 900ms, a ping from another site, by another route, 11 hops is 23ms.

My conclusion is that Uverse, which I thought was my problem is working fine, it's ATTs routing and infrastructure that's the problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have really long pings, and terrible download/upload speeds. When I do a tracert my first leg, the Uverse hop is fine, 1ms or less. The rest of the route is terrible:

1ms to         192.168.1.254 - dsldevice.att.net

1007ms to   104.49.220..3 - lightspeed.frokca.net - this is their router, probably local

next hop timed out

952 ms to      12.83.77.141

618ms to       12.122.136.181

672ms to     216.239.49.168

934ms to     209.85.246.253

946ms to       72.14.232.63

450ms to       72.14.233.200 - these are probbaly in the same building

808ms to     216.239.48.165

889ms to         8.8.8.8

a ping is 900ms, a ping from another site, by another route, 11 hops is 23ms.

My conclusion is that Uverse, which I thought was my problem is working fine, it's ATTs routing and infrastructure that's the problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.

5 of 5 (1,420 Views)