shs1451's profile

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

Tuesday, June 19th, 2012 10:14 PM

Keeping DSL without phone service

At&T is my service provider for my land line as well as my DSL. I am thinking about porting my number to a VOIP provider other than AT&T. Since AT&T has my DSL service, customer service is telling me that if i cancel my phone service with them, i will lose the dsl service since "it comes in over the phone lines associated with the number". The "stand alone" DSL service, on the AT&T web site for the same service i have now, is 19.00 less per month!!!...I need to keep the at&t e mail adresses, since it's one used by my wife's business. HELP..I can port the number, and cancel all of my AT&T services, and then apply for new DSL service, right? As "standalone". What happens to my at&t e mail addresses? any advice/suggestions, etc will be appreciated. (the monthly savings with going to VOIP and reduced charges for DSL comes out to over 50.00/month!)

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

At&t has u verse dsl stand alone. I've had it for over a year. We just renegotiated our renewal from 51.00/mo to half (25.50).
Good luck..

Sheldon

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

wondering if everyone is getting this issue resolved.  I want to keep my current DSL service (we have been well pleased) and discontinue our landline which we never use.  If this cannot be accomplished we will cancel both and go with another internet provider.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

debilou9559, Were you able to drop your land line and keep your DSL?  That's what I want to do, but it has always been a nightmare dealing with AT&T.  The last time I made a change to my service it was because some rep called ME and the bundle he sold me sounded good but my next 8 bills were enormous and full of errors and things I did not even order. I had to call and stay on the phone with them for hours at a time every single month until my bill was corrected and I still ended up losing out because of disconnect fees, etc. because this went on for several months past the time I had to cancel these unauthorized charges that I did not even know what they were. Conveniently, the rep that lied to me was "no longer working there, Joe Barczak".   Now it has been correct for the past 6 months or so and I don't know what to do. 

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

Yes you can drop your land line and keep dsl but you'll have cancel both first and place an order for new del service. They should be able to coordinate the 2 within a couple of days of each other. Your new dsl will be u verse service. In order to get the best price make sure you let them know that you have other options for service and check those out.  I'm getting 50% off every month. 
Good luck. 

Sheldon

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for the info.  The only thing is I do not want u-verse, I've heard it is not as good as DSL.  Why are they making everyone switch to u-verse when they want to change something, is it better?  

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

U verse is all they have now. It's still dsl.  I don't find it any better or worse. You can always check other options like time Warner or whoever else in your area provides that service. 
Good luck

Sheldon

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I just checked my phone # and address on AT&T and it says U-verse is not available.  Is it not every where now?  Back in 2001 I started my own real estate business and I've always had a home office.  I wanted my phone # to be in the phone book under my business name so I switched my home phone # to a business phone #.  Could that be why it is coming up as "not available", because it is considering my address a business?  Is it not available to businesses? Now I plan to drop my landline so there is no need for a business phone #.  How can I go back to a residential plan if that is what the problem is?  I appreciate all your help, thank you!  

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

I suggest you contact at&t directly. Apparently u verse has not been implemented in all areas yet. I doubt it has anything to do with the account type. 

Sheldon

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I was told it would be best to call and cancel everything and then start all over with ONLY DSL.  Do you think that is the way to go?  How do I keep from losing my bellsouth.net email address if I do that? 

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

Yes. That's the only way it can be done unfortunately. I assume that bellsouth is at&t in your area? You will not lose your email address. It will remain the same. Again, please make sure to verify that with the rep that you speak to. 

Sheldon
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.