ProdigyUser's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, February 27th, 2015 9:31 PM

Keep Prodigy email address and messages on server

I have a decades-old (1994) Prodigy email account and email address that was eventually adopted by AT&T and Yahoo!.  (It's a dial-up service!!!)  I maintained the dial-up service because I thought I had to do so in order to retain the Prodigy email address and access to my Prodigy message files.  I no longer need the dial up access.  Have not used dial up for years.  But, I want to keep the family Prodigy email addresses and be able to access old mesage files.  Now I understand that, under current rules, I can cancel the Prodigy/AT&T dial-up service and still access our prodigy email files and use the prodigy email addresses.  Is that true?  FYI, I now achieve generall access the internet via Verizon DSL...or a common site.  So, presently, I use ATT only for the Prodigy email.  In short, I want to drop dial up and still keep the Prodigy email addresses and files.  (FYI, the web site stuff is confusing with talk of "merger" and talk of "access".....)  I need some clarification.   

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I received a notification via email that my prodigy.net account was suspended when I tried to sign in, this account I've had for probably 20 years or more and I was paying about $20 a month for ONLY THE EMAIL no dial-up, no connection, we are undercontract with another company for TV and computer services.  ANYWAY I spent over and hour or maybe 2 calling dead end mostly voice activated menu driven crap until I was ready to scream, then finally, a matter of fact voice of a real person told me that my credit card had expired (like last december and I am just now being suspended?) but anyway I signed back up and she told me it would be $30 a month and I just said no way an email is worth $360 a year. 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Sounds familiar.............good luck.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I am sorry I was rude under the guidelines set forth by AT&T.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I did finally get my prodigy email re-established, however, all of my contacts were lost, all of the history of emails was also not there, it is a completely new email but it now costs nothing.  That is a huge trade off for something I had paid thousands of dollars over the years to maintain but such is the digital age where all can be gone in an instant. That being said, I am still not sure of how the new account came about but posting on this Forum did at least get the email back.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks.  Several of us are planning to make this switch.  Details are critical.  ATT, if you are monitoring this forum, which I believe you are, please clarify the details. 

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

There are ATT employees who read these forums on their own time, in an unofficial capacity ( @mythoughts is an excelent example that comes to mind) by no one at ATT monitors it much beyond insuring that the posts compy with the community guidelines for content, etc.

But, only contacting an ATT service department accomplishes anything.

The ATT Customer Care team is available thru here, and often reads messages posted here, but even they require that you contact them first, before they can do anything. (Mostly becuase they need to find out who you are, to help. It also helps them if they can find out what has already been tried, so they don't waste effort and resolve your issues faster.)

But, no, it is unlikly ATT management followes these posts. Intended for customer to customer interacction.

And, to be fair, in a LOT of cases, another custmer CAN help resolve simpler issues. Or at the very least, point on in the proper direction: place, etc. to find the help needed.

Sometimes, knowing what a problem is propperly called is a BIG help in getting the proper resolution.

And too, once in a while, we just share info and just plain chat.

My two cents worth.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

@ProdigyUser I forget where it is buried in the paperwork, but any customer or former customer can keep their att related e-mail for free indefinatly. The main differance is, suport is only by automated tools if it's a free account, while you can get living persons to help you, if it's a paid for account.

Prodogy is almost an odd bird in the ATT family, in that they inherited it, and later tried to sell it off, but no one wanted it, so, it's kinda like the red headed step child of ATT.

Previous posts already list the prodigy contact numbers, so there is at least that.

I have to wonder if prodigy e-mail is also suported by yahoo like regualr att e-mail accounts are.

I don't know, and thats kinda why i'm asking.

In any case, good luck.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have had a prodigy.net email with ATT for a long time. As of the 24th or 25th of May 2017 my email is blocked. When I use the ATT email app now all I get is a page with my email address at the top with edit to the right side and on the bottom a bar to add an account. Can't use it and don't want to add an account. Have used tech access to no avail. Much time and still can't get into my

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

7 years ago

Okay, most of this is speculation on my point, and not anything official:

Yahoo has been in transition for sale to Verizon.. and they are about to formally close the deal.

While ATT has moved all of their web business to other providers (Synacore mainly) for whatever reason, they chose to keep their e-mail services hosted by Yahoo.

Not that it should matter, as they are all under one umbrella, ATT has and maintains several legacy e-mail domains. Prodigy, of course, being one of them.

I kind of expect that there is a little bit of unintentional issues cropping up, hopefully only temporary, while they actually change ownership hands.

This is what my intuition is telling me. Obviously, I have no clue if I am actually right or not, but based on past experiance (Yahoo changed out all of the old servers they were using for ATT's mail service to new ones, and things were a little wonky at first, until they finally got most of the issues addressed.

I know it might not have been what you wanted to hear, but I am suggesting that you be patient with them for say a couple of weeks, and see if the problem goes away.

One issue you have is, your e-mail account is in free status, and the company policy is, you are only entitled to automated self help and not live in person assistance.

I do not have the links handy, by you can send a private message to u-verse care, and they can help you with e-mail issues, usually.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Yes prodigy needs to stay.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.