realbs's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, January 9th, 2013 3:55 PM

Internet upload speeds

What are the upload speeds for the various internet plans (home not cellular), Pro, Max. Elite, etc.

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

realbs,

I have included two links below, the first is for DSL Internet the second Uverse Internet. I'm not sure what service is in your particular area.

DSL Plans

Uverse Plans

Thank you,

James

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Well, thanks for the response, and sorry I didn't mention that I am interested in the Uverse packages...but where on that page (or anywhere else) does it say anything about Upload speeds.  I've searched the site and much of the forums and can find nothing referring to upload speeds for the various Uverse plans.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Another forum member posted the following U-Verse upload speeds:

24 Mbps down provides 3.0 Mbps up.

18 and 12 Mbps down provide 1.5 Mbps up

6 Mbps down provides 1.0 Mbps up

I too looked all over the ATT website and could not find any mention of upload speeds.  This is probably because they are not proud of their slow upload speeds.  I constantly get around 4.0 Mbps upload speeds with Charter (cable) basic internet service.  ATT cannot match that speed even with their fastest U-verse package.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

While other ISPs have consistently offered upload rates at 50% of download rates at any tier of service - for the past 20 years - AT&T seems to have broken new ground by providing their customers with upload speeds at 10% of download speeds, as a matter of rigid policy. They then, as another posted here, conceal this information from customers and prospects by simply omitting their upload speeds from any other their sell copy and technical copy. I just asked a tech support rep if there is an option to upgrade the upload rate only (something closer to the standard 50% would be acceptable) and he confessed no such option exists. Even at the impressive dowload tier of 24 Mb/Sec, their upload rate would only be a greuling 3 Mb/Sec. For those of us who work on the web, the 50% standard has always been a painful reality; however, this new "standard" of 10% is going to drive me to a competitor, regrettably. Sadly, their support rep was not at liberty to offer any remedy to help retain this customer.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I'm disappointed as well. I have the Max Plus which advertises as 18 up and according to you guys, 1.5 down. However in practice, I receive 15 up (very good) and .90 down (horrible). Very disappointing. It is a marketing gimmick. Consumers don't realize how important upload speeds are and that 900 MBPS download means nothing if your upload speed is .90 MBPS. my goodness...

My area doesn't support anyone else but Uverse. Cannot wait to switch to someone else.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

ATT speeds suck.  I signed up for 12 and it was slow.  Upgraded to 18 and it's slower yet (2 to 5 MBPS).  Google is coming in a few months and I can't wait to ditch ATT.  They have been out here many times (and many hrs, which was terribly annoying) and they just say it can't be fixed.  Took them 2 days to hook it up!!!!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

If you're smart you'll sign up with anyone BUT ATT.  Their speeds suck.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

Good news! I think I may be moving sometime next year. The new neighborhood will support Cox internet! It's a miracle!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Very interesting. I'm an independent consultant working with a customer this morning because upload speeds are slow on their at&t uverse connection. I contacted AT&T support to find out what this customers internet speeds should be, especially the upload speed.

AT&T Rep: What is your result with speedtest.net

Me: .43

AT&T Rep: That's within the contracted range of upload performance

Me: .43 is within range? That seems very low. What's the range?

AT&T Rep: .5

Me: Okay then, I'm not in range ... I said I'm at .43

At&T Rep: It is in range, I said .5 and you're getting .43

Me: I know what you said. .43 is lower than .5.

AT&T Rep: That's correct, you're range is .5 and you're getting .43.

Me: Oh, so you're telling me I should not be getting anything over .5Mbps?

AT&T: That's correct, that's your range.

Me: I'm used to people telling me the minimum and not the maximum performance expectation or at least the full range and not just the best case scenario.

After I hung up I realized the AT&T rep never offered to tell me what the minimum upload speed rate should be. And then I read this thread and realized why. Embarrasment. I still don't know ... may have to dig out my US Robotics 56k modem to give these people some performance.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

So sad. It is 2015 and AT&T has such horrible upload speeds for home consumers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.