realbs's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, January 9th, 2013 3:55 PM

Internet upload speeds

What are the upload speeds for the various internet plans (home not cellular), Pro, Max. Elite, etc.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

Just as a point of information, I did a speed test on my freinds internet connected computer, and he got speeds of 59 mbps up, and around 10 mbps down.

Not braging about the speed, my point is that even with this, the upload is only about ten percent of the download speed, even with "another" provider.

Funny thing (not) I was reading in the news, and you can google it, there was a fella who is head of some government think tank, and he is pushing two ideas that are kinda strange: One is, users DON'T need connection speeds over 20mbps, and for most, 6mbps is actualy more than they use, and Two, ALL service providers show get on the band wagon and caps the data limits for all customers.

And sadly, I think that guys ideas were being taken seriously.. (just not by the customers affected)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

As a counterpoint to all the haters in this thread, my plan is 18 down 1.5 up and consistently get higher than that.  Perhaps my chi is aligned.

speedtest.jpg

1 Attachment

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

9 years ago

I just had an AT&T rep (actually there were 3 of them) stop by my house (they also ignored my No Solicitors sign, but whatever). They were here to inform me that they were upgading the UVerse service in the area (sounded like they were converting from copper to fiber). She was trying to talk me into their service (I left Uverse for Comcast because of the upload speeds). She kept mentioning the 18mbps plan, when I told her I switched to comcast because of the upload and ask what that plan's upload was she stumbled a little bit, but then said she /thought/ it was 12mbps upload! 

Could this be true? Or were they just ill-informed? Is the 18mbps plan still at 1.5mbps up?

I would drop comcast in a heartbeat (I really hate the X1 platform), but I need something closer to my current 10mbps upload...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I switched from Comcast last week purely for the price point and will say the following:

I routinely got 100Mbps/40Mbps from Comcast but the service was spotty - I never had those " all the kids in the neighborhood are playing medal of honor" probems where it got bogged down.

I am getting 18Mbps/1.5Mbps and I honestly didn't bother asking what it was when they signed me up (I guess I just assumed it would be way better than it is) although so far no major issues.

Switching from comcast TV to Uverse is a bigger issue for me as the interface is really different and to be honest the Uverse one sucks.  They must have got an expert in how not to design a UI and then used them for the one they have, everything seems so complicated and although TV is never as easy as computer, if they could mimic their online display on the TV it would be a million times better.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

For those who end up here looking for the actual official speeds, you can get those here:

http://www.att.net/speedtiers

I have the 12Mbps plan and get 12Mbps down pretty consistently.  My upload speeds are pretty dismal at 800k - 1.2Mbps.  It sucks sometimes working from home, but I get by.

Sad really that the upload is so awful.  DSL has always been this way, since the very beginning almost two decades ago, not sure if it's a function of the underlying technology or if there is another reason.  Maybe to discourage people from hosting websites/media or seeding torrents and such?

I really can't complain though.  We live in a rural area outside of city limits.  Up until about 6 months ago, my only option was a rural wireless broadband company (Pixius) that used microwave radio towers and an antenna on the roof.  It was obscenely expensive ($130/month!), the fastest speed available was 4Mbps, and outages were very, very frequent, especially during inclement weather.  I am happy as a clam right now paying $39/month for a service 3x faster, 1/3 the price and 10x more reliable.

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

When I have an ftp outbound file transfer going it affects the incoming traffic.  What gives here!

If I do one or the other then they perfom OK.

Johnny S

uVerse 18Mb plan

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the info on up vs dn transports.

Johnny S.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Here are some in Colorado Springs. I used the SpeedTest.net app. I have a Galaxy S7 Edge, and I have the Unlimited Data plan due to having Direct TV as my cable provider.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByHU-srrnWMLcW1FUlFTZVlLSEk/view?usp=drivesdk

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I've been using AT&T DSL for the last 17 years.  Tried Comcast first, but the service was so unreliable, I switched to AT&T and never looked back.  Upload speed sucks, but I don't remember a single issue in 17 years.  And this is more important to me.  I have U-verse 18.  Max download speed is 22 Mbps (higher than what I'm paying for),upload is 1.4 Mbps.   HD movies are streaming fine.  And their Arris NVG599 modem/router is great.      

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.