L2P's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Wednesday, December 4th, 2013 6:48 PM

I want to switch from U-verse to dry loop DSL.

I live in Monterey, have U-verse HSI Pro (3.0 Mbps down), and want to switch to DSL without home phone.

After a little browsing, I found the DSL without home phone page, which suggests I can get service similar to what I'm getting now for $29.95/month for 6 months. (The fine print mentions a $5/month promotional discount, so I'm assuming the subsequent price is $34.95/month.) I clicked Check Availability and entered my address, but the site just redirected me back to the DSL page. I called AT&T three times (just to make sure), and each time, a rep told me I can only get U-verse.

Next, I called Red Shift (a DSL reseller local to Monterey) and asked about DSL without phone service. The rep said Red Shift offers dry loop DSL only with business service. The higher price compared to residential service prevents me from considering business service, but the existence of a dry loop option from Red Shift suggests AT&T should legally have to offer dry loop DSL too.

Does anyone in Monterey or anywhere else in Norcal have dry loop DSL? If so:

• How did you get it?
  • What is the above-the-line price after the promotional period?
  • What are the below-the-line taxes/fees?
  • Can I use my own modem? If not, is there an equipment rental fee like there is for U-verse?

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

As far as I know, DSL rollout has ended some time ago and U-verse is the only expanding service. DSL might still be available in some areas, based on existing infrastructure, but I don't believe any expansion is expected in a future.

Dmitriy

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

If Red Shift can offer dry loop DSL to me, AT&T should legally have to offer dry loop DSL to me too, right?

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Not necessarily, each company would need to have its own equipment and infrastructure present in your area to provide services, any ISP's availabily would have no effect on what another company can offer, since they don't share their HUBs (Central Offices)

Some of requirements are explained in the article here.

Dmitriy

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

Whether I can get it or not, I still want to know the pricing for the 3.0 Mbps down DSL without home phone. It appears to be $29.95/month for 6 months. The fine print mentions a $5/month promotional discount, so I'm assuming the subsequent price is $34.95/month. Is this correct? What is the above-the-line price after the promotional period? What are the below-the-line taxes/fees? Can I use my own modem? If not, is there an equipment rental fee like there is for U-verse?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks, my thoughts! I'll call to ask about buying the equipment instead of renting.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Kudos for a rare bit of honesty from an ATT CSR
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.