aradley's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, August 9th, 2012 4:09 PM

AT&T Access ID and profile contact email issue

Yesterday, I converted to AT&T Access ID for my old wireless and Internet accounts (which I never used much). Now I want to begin paperless billing and online payments. I don't remember all of the details of why and how, but I was told that I had to convert to AT&T Access ID to accomplish that. Anyway, I'm getting used to navigating the thing, and it seems to work as hyped (accounts were linked, can see bills, made a payment). But can anyone clarify this message when I attempt to change my Access ID profile contact email address to my att.net email address (which also happens to be my Access ID, the old account's username)...

message.jpg

I changed my billing email addresses for all accounts to my att.net email without a problem. Only this Access ID profile contact address objects to being changed to the att.net address. The current profile contact email address is my aol.com address (also from the old account) which is still valid and will do. I just would like to know what's the problem with the idea? I'm too afraid to change my Access ID to see if that would matter.

1 Attachment

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

168 Messages

12 years ago

It's strongly recommended that you use an alternate contact email address in the event you need a password reset. You can Receive a temporary password via your alternate email address i.e. your AOL email account.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks. Your extra explanation helped push me through to understanding it better. In fact, I guess it makes me look sort of stupid now.

When I converted to Access ID and linked my phone, Internet, and wireless accounts to it, I wasn't even thinking about the email account. It apparently was sort of automatically linked to my Access ID, I guess. It's listed amongst the linked accounts anyway. But I didn't do it, or notice it at the time.

So if I had gone ahead with changing the Access ID contact email address to my att.net email address (which is now linked to my Access ID), and if I were to forget and need to reset my Access ID password, then I would not be able to log in to the email account to get the new password.

A long story, but telling it makes me feel better.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I would like to change ID for security reasons
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.