For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
md_sanjose's profile

Mentor

• 

70 Messages

Saturday, January 17th, 2015 7:15 PM

Will AT&T upgrade BPON customers to GPON automatically?

I'm not clear on the process; I see Gigapower is being slated for my area, but not clear if the upgrade will just "happen" or I need to do something?

In the interim, any hope of further performance for Internet on BPON?

ACE - Guru

• 

987 Messages

9 years ago

Yes you are correct. I was just upgraded from Bpon to Gpon (24mbps) and had to close my old account and open a new one along with ONT replacement and new indoor gear too.

My question is weather the 3801HGV should not have been upgraded to the nvg589 at the same time or is this only fir Gigapower customers?

I have been getting some strange dropouts since the Gpon upgrade which I did not get before when I was running at 18mbps.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

I don't know why the 3800/3801 wouldn't work fine with a GPON for 24 Mbps HSI.  

Mentor

• 

70 Messages

9 years ago

You can request a NVG589 (for both gigabit and "N" wireless networking support) when the premises tech is on-site if the supervisor approves it -- even for BPON.  Speed not being within range is a good reason, from what I've been told.

As for "gigapower" requiring a cancel -- this seems odd.  There's no gigapower in my neighborhood yet as far as I know, and if the choice is cancel and return -- well I might as well switch providers.  Does anyone from AT&T actually read these forums?  Seems like an obtuse policy.

Mentor

• 

70 Messages

9 years ago

I am currently on BPON with the 24 meg service -- it just seems odd to get GPON the customer has to cancel.  This is a really simple issue requiring a helper ticket or two.

Of course, I'm being somewhat facetious.  If Dante was alive today, the seven levels of "heck" (sorry, bad word filter triggered) would describe uVerse installation.  AT&T just dragged me to the seventh level and back again for nearly two months just to get an ONT installed for BPON.  I was just shocked to find out I may have the "joy" of going through all of this again to get GPON someday.  😞

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Hey there.. are you still running into this problem... where whole neighborhoods have conversions needed? if so get in touch with me.

Mentor

• 

70 Messages

9 years ago

Yep.  We are all on BPON still....awaiting GPON..

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.