Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Jun 6, 2014
3:48:09 PM
View profile
Why does DTV not have certain HD channels?

It's frustrating that DTV does not provide HD for Outdoor Channel and Sportsman Channel when Uverse and Comcast do. What prompts DTV to exclude certain channels from their HD lineup? Cost cutting measure I am sure. Any reason other than that?

It's frustrating that DTV does not provide HD for Outdoor Channel and Sportsman Channel when Uverse and Comcast do. What prompts DTV to exclude certain channels from their HD lineup? Cost cutting measure I am sure. Any reason other than that?

Why does DTV not have certain HD channels?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2014 4:08:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Transponder space probably. HD channels take up a lot more space than SD channels. They could add more HD channels but only at the expense of downgrading picture quality on the ones they already have. Not a good idea.

DirecTV has two more satellites planned (D14 and D15) and although some of that new capacity will probably be used to replace existing capacity, there are almost certainly going to be transponders available for new channels.

Transponder space probably. HD channels take up a lot more space than SD channels. They could add more HD channels but only at the expense of downgrading picture quality on the ones they already have. Not a good idea.

DirecTV has two more satellites planned (D14 and D15) and although some of that new capacity will probably be used to replace existing capacity, there are almost certainly going to be transponders available for new channels.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why does DTV not have certain HD channels?

2 of 9 (44 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2014 4:21:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

Well, I would like to see them takeaway a couple of the HD news, Disneys, or other overdone channels before they neglect the outdoorsman by providing $h!&&y SD for The Outdoor Channel and Sportsmans Channel.

Well, I would like to see them takeaway a couple of the HD news, Disneys, or other overdone channels before they neglect the outdoorsman by providing $h!&&y SD for The Outdoor Channel and Sportsmans Channel.

3 of 9 (44 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2014 6:20:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It also has to do with contract negotiations

It also has to do with contract negotiations

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (44 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2014 6:56:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

benstroh - other people probably would not....

benstroh - other people probably would not....

5 of 9 (44 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2014 6:58:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I certainly have never watched that channel

I certainly have never watched that channel

6 of 9 (44 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2014 4:45:18 PM
(0)
Mentor

you must not be an outdoorsman or enjoy things like hunting and fishing then, a.k.a., reality t.v. for men.

you must not be an outdoorsman or enjoy things like hunting and fishing then, a.k.a., reality t.v. for men.

7 of 9 (44 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2014 6:10:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'd like to see them add Universal Sports in HD...the SD picture is so bad I prefer to just stream the channel from universal's website, which is HD.  The way I see it, if I'm paying extra for the channel(sports Pak) then it should be in HD.

I'd like to see them add Universal Sports in HD...the SD picture is so bad I prefer to just stream the channel from universal's website, which is HD.  The way I see it, if I'm paying extra for the channel(sports Pak) then it should be in HD.

8 of 9 (44 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2014 6:39:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

you are right, I dont like to kill animals for fun!

you are right, I dont like to kill animals for fun!

9 of 9 (44 Views)