Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Oct 16, 2013
3:30:38 PM
Why can't I get RetroTV Channel 8.1 with DirecTV Off-Air Tuner?

I live in Gardena, CA.  I have a DirecTV HR24 DVR with the DirecTV OTA Tuner and the Terk Amplified HDTV Indoor Antenna (recommended by, and works with Antenna TV).  I don't seem to get Retro TV Los Angeles Channel 8.1.  After 3 scans, I still don't see Channel 8 (or sub-channels) at all.

I've double-checked antenna troubleshooting.  It is extended and pointed towards Mount Wilson.  I also seem to be getting 100% signal strength on all the other channels and sub-channels from 5 to 40.

I contacted Retro TV and I was told: "Direct TV intenionally blocks all community tv stations,

including KFLA.  I suggest that you try connecting the antenna directly to

your TV and bypass the Direct TV DVR all together."

Is this true?  Is DirecTV blocking Los Angeles Channel 8.1 KFLA?  Or, is there something else I need to do to get this channel?

Thanks!

-ron

I live in Gardena, CA.  I have a DirecTV HR24 DVR with the DirecTV OTA Tuner and the Terk Amplified HDTV Indoor Antenna (recommended by, and works with Antenna TV).  I don't seem to get Retro TV Los Angeles Channel 8.1.  After 3 scans, I still don't see Channel 8 (or sub-channels) at all.

I've double-checked antenna troubleshooting.  It is extended and pointed towards Mount Wilson.  I also seem to be getting 100% signal strength on all the other channels and sub-channels from 5 to 40.

I contacted Retro TV and I was told: "Direct TV intenionally blocks all community tv stations,

including KFLA.  I suggest that you try connecting the antenna directly to

your TV and bypass the Direct TV DVR all together."

Is this true?  Is DirecTV blocking Los Angeles Channel 8.1 KFLA?  Or, is there something else I need to do to get this channel?

Thanks!

-ron

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 16, 2013 4:23:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

DirecTV does not intentionally block these channels. The DVRs rely on a database, if the channel is not on that database the channel would not appear on the DVR.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Why can't I get RetroTV Channel 8.1 with DirecTV Off-Air Tuner?

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 16, 2013 4:23:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

DirecTV does not intentionally block these channels. The DVRs rely on a database, if the channel is not on that database the channel would not appear on the DVR.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why can't I get RetroTV Channel 8.1 with DirecTV Off-Air Tuner?

2 of 21 (505 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 4:24:59 PM
(0)
Administrator

DirecTV does not deliver Sub-Channels to consumers.  Only way to pick them up, would be to put up an antenna in your attic or on your roof, to pick up the locals.

DirecTV does not deliver Sub-Channels to consumers.  Only way to pick them up, would be to put up an antenna in your attic or on your roof, to pick up the locals.

3 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 4:35:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That is what the AM21 OTA tuner accessory does, picks up the locals and where available in the guide data base, sub channels as well

That is what the AM21 OTA tuner accessory does, picks up the locals and where available in the guide data base, sub channels as well

4 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 4:52:20 PM
(0)
Administrator

From what I understand with the AM21, it does not pick up the Sub's, only the main channels. I have a Antennas Direct DB8 for UHF, Antennacraft Y5713 for Hi-VHF, and Channel Master CM-7778 Pre-amp.  I mainly had it for backup when my U-Verse service would go offline and to pick up the local sub-channels from three of the local broadcasters, that we did not get with U-Verse.

I have the whole setup in my attic, and can pick up all locals, and on a good night, can pick up the channels from Peoria, IL, which is around 80 miles away for their towers.

From what I understand with the AM21, it does not pick up the Sub's, only the main channels. I have a Antennas Direct DB8 for UHF, Antennacraft Y5713 for Hi-VHF, and Channel Master CM-7778 Pre-amp.  I mainly had it for backup when my U-Verse service would go offline and to pick up the local sub-channels from three of the local broadcasters, that we did not get with U-Verse.

I have the whole setup in my attic, and can pick up all locals, and on a good night, can pick up the channels from Peoria, IL, which is around 80 miles away for their towers.

5 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 4:59:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

gregzoll wrote:

From what I understand with the AM21,

Then you are not understanding. The AM21 "can" pick up sub channels, as long as they are in the guide database.  But because the stations got carried away with  so many sub-channels, DirecTV stopped adding any more to the already bloated guide database

gregzoll wrote:

From what I understand with the AM21,

Then you are not understanding. The AM21 "can" pick up sub channels, as long as they are in the guide database.  But because the stations got carried away with  so many sub-channels, DirecTV stopped adding any more to the already bloated guide database

6 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 5:05:36 PM
(0)
Administrator

I looked at the spec's for the am21, when I was getting Direct, and from what I read, it does not allow for sub's to be available, from what it states at http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=am21&d=directv-am21n-off-air-dual-tuner-(am21)&sku=8546300063...  More of a hit or miss, depending on the market, if the subs are going to be there or not with it.

I looked at the spec's for the am21, when I was getting Direct, and from what I read, it does not allow for sub's to be available, from what it states at http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=am21&d=directv-am21n-off-air-dual-tuner-(am21)&sku=8546300063&more=yes  More of a hit or miss, depending on the market, if the subs are going to be there or not with it.

7 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 5:13:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Again one last time.  you are NOT understanding.  back in the days, the H20 receiver used to do scan, and ANY channel that it found was added to the guide.  the HDVRs relied on a database, instead of doing an actual scan.  some markets were (are) able to pick up the main feeds plus some subs. When the HR34 came out, it had the ability to do a scan just like the H20, but this has been removed by DirecTV. So now all DirecTV receivers rely on this database.  THERE ARE subs but there might NOT be all of the subs that the station carry.

Again one last time.  you are NOT understanding.  back in the days, the H20 receiver used to do scan, and ANY channel that it found was added to the guide.  the HDVRs relied on a database, instead of doing an actual scan.  some markets were (are) able to pick up the main feeds plus some subs. When the HR34 came out, it had the ability to do a scan just like the H20, but this has been removed by DirecTV. So now all DirecTV receivers rely on this database.  THERE ARE subs but there might NOT be all of the subs that the station carry.

8 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 5:19:40 PM
(0)
Administrator

I fully understand, but going by what the info states about the AM21, it is going to be a hit or miss if the OP is able to use it to get the subs in their market.  For $50 and a return guarantee from Solid Signal, I say try it, and if it does not work for the OP, return for a refund.

I fully understand, but going by what the info states about the AM21, it is going to be a hit or miss if the OP is able to use it to get the subs in their market.  For $50 and a return guarantee from Solid Signal, I say try it, and if it does not work for the OP, return for a refund.

9 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 5:22:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

lol.  you still dont get it.  the OP already has the AM21, (s)he is not getting 8.1 for the reason that I explained.

Very funny

"I have a DirecTV HR24 DVR with the DirecTV OTA Tuner and the Terk Amplified HDTV Indoor Antenna"

lol.  you still dont get it.  the OP already has the AM21, (s)he is not getting 8.1 for the reason that I explained.

Very funny

"I have a DirecTV HR24 DVR with the DirecTV OTA Tuner and the Terk Amplified HDTV Indoor Antenna"

10 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 5:31:51 PM
(0)
Administrator

If they do have the AM-21, then they answered their own question, regarding that the unit is not capable of picking up Sub-channels from the locals, due to the limitations of the unit, as stated in the information given at Solid Signal.  No laughing or joking about it, so really if the OP wants a serious answer, they have it as to why they cannot get the sub's.

Really best way to do it, is just connect directly to the tv, or get a third party OTA tuner connected to their tv, if they use a Soundbar or Home Theater for audio, when listening to OTA.

If they do have the AM-21, then they answered their own question, regarding that the unit is not capable of picking up Sub-channels from the locals, due to the limitations of the unit, as stated in the information given at Solid Signal.  No laughing or joking about it, so really if the OP wants a serious answer, they have it as to why they cannot get the sub's.

Really best way to do it, is just connect directly to the tv, or get a third party OTA tuner connected to their tv, if they use a Soundbar or Home Theater for audio, when listening to OTA.

11 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 5:39:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Wow, I am done here!....lol

Wow, I am done here!....lol

12 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 5:42:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Before I leave, you might want to take a look at this,

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s230/sh/bad2e3ee-d519-4253-bd21-28e3f27ae7c4/bc9b61136b3aa653f88d4f03...

This is an spreadsheet showing what is available on the DirecTV database.

Before I leave, you might want to take a look at this,

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s230/sh/bad2e3ee-d519-4253-bd21-28e3f27ae7c4/bc9b61136b3aa653f88d4f03285233f1

This is an spreadsheet showing what is available on the DirecTV database.

13 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 5:49:24 PM
(0)
Administrator

To let you know, this was discussed back in April, regarding why not all markets have the Sub's available.  Does not matter what the database may or may not show, it is the limitations of the system, that they do not have enough room for every sub-channel in every market, to push through the Spot beams.  http://forums.directv.com/thread/11224515  It has been known for a very long time, that Direct, just like U-Verse and some of the other providers out there, they limit not having Sub-channels from local broadcasters available through their systems, so you have to resort to using an Antenna in your Attic or on the Roof, if you are not able to pick up locals with a antenna on top of your tv.

Since Sub channels do not fall under the "Must have", under FCC reg's, providers do not have to carry them.  They are only required to carry the main channels, and may choose to carry sub channels if they wish.

To let you know, this was discussed back in April, regarding why not all markets have the Sub's available.  Does not matter what the database may or may not show, it is the limitations of the system, that they do not have enough room for every sub-channel in every market, to push through the Spot beams.  http://forums.directv.com/thread/11224515  It has been known for a very long time, that Direct, just like U-Verse and some of the other providers out there, they limit not having Sub-channels from local broadcasters available through their systems, so you have to resort to using an Antenna in your Attic or on the Roof, if you are not able to pick up locals with a antenna on top of your tv.

Since Sub channels do not fall under the "Must have", under FCC reg's, providers do not have to carry them.  They are only required to carry the main channels, and may choose to carry sub channels if they wish.

14 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 5:59:49 PM
(0)
Administrator

For the OP, if you want a listing of what locals are available in your area, see the Spreadsheet at Transponder Maps: Domestic & LatinAm ~ Data Refresh 10/16/2013 - DIRECTV Tips and Resources - DBSTal...  And again, it really depends on the Spot Beam in your area if they have the room for all the sub's.  Remember that they are limited to a certain number of transponders for each market, and cannot carry every single OTA sub-channel that each local has for every market.

For the OP, if you want a listing of what locals are available in your area, see the Spreadsheet at Transponder Maps: Domestic & LatinAm ~ Data Refresh 10/16/2013 - DIRECTV Tips and Resources - DBSTalk  And again, it really depends on the Spot Beam in your area if they have the room for all the sub's.  Remember that they are limited to a certain number of transponders for each market, and cannot carry every single OTA sub-channel that each local has for every market.

15 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 6:10:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You are confusing OTA with satellite.  YES there are no sub channel on satellite, however this is why DirecTV came out with OTA (well not really the reason, but a benefit of it).  the OTA channels are not carry on the satellite they are picked up by the OTA antenna and integrated on the DirecTV guide

You are confusing OTA with satellite.  YES there are no sub channel on satellite, however this is why DirecTV came out with OTA (well not really the reason, but a benefit of it).  the OTA channels are not carry on the satellite they are picked up by the OTA antenna and integrated on the DirecTV guide

16 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 7:35:01 PM
(0)
Administrator

Not confusing anything.  You may believe that it is confusing as to what is being talked about, but I myself know how the system works, when it comes to how DirecTV & Dish deliver locals to their customers.  If you may not have heard the news a couple of weeks ago, Direct lost the major Fiber backhaul for spot beams, that uplinks locals in various markets, caused a major outage, because they were not able to deliver the locals from the microwave uplinks, to the spot beams.

As for the OP problem, they just happen to be in one of those markets that does not get the sub channels for their locals, so they are left using an antenna to get them.

Not confusing anything.  You may believe that it is confusing as to what is being talked about, but I myself know how the system works, when it comes to how DirecTV & Dish deliver locals to their customers.  If you may not have heard the news a couple of weeks ago, Direct lost the major Fiber backhaul for spot beams, that uplinks locals in various markets, caused a major outage, because they were not able to deliver the locals from the microwave uplinks, to the spot beams.

As for the OP problem, they just happen to be in one of those markets that does not get the sub channels for their locals, so they are left using an antenna to get them.

17 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 7:43:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

But OTA has nothing to do with spot beams or satellite for that matter!.  OTA is just that Over The Air.  you do not need satellite to pick up OTA

But OTA has nothing to do with spot beams or satellite for that matter!.  OTA is just that Over The Air.  you do not need satellite to pick up OTA

18 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 9:11:27 PM
(0)
Administrator

Yes that is correct, if you do not have CATV, U-Verse, Fios, Satellite service.  If you want the locals through your provider, then you get what they send through their system, for the locals that are in your area.  If you want the sub channels, such as what the OP is wanting, their only choice will be to use an Antenna setup on their roof, in their attic, or on top of their tv, to pick up said sub channel.

End of discussion.

Yes that is correct, if you do not have CATV, U-Verse, Fios, Satellite service.  If you want the locals through your provider, then you get what they send through their system, for the locals that are in your area.  If you want the sub channels, such as what the OP is wanting, their only choice will be to use an Antenna setup on their roof, in their attic, or on top of their tv, to pick up said sub channel.

End of discussion.

19 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 3:27:02 AM
(0)
Expert

Although well intentioned, the poster Gregzoll has his technical details wrong.  Directv carries no local sub channels on their satellites thus the info about spotbeams is totally irrelevant to your channel 8.1 question.  As Peds48 has posted, the Guide data for off air locals from the AM21 is contained in a data base.  If a particular channel is in the data base then the system will carry the Guide data and the channel will appear in the Guide on the HD DVR.  About a year ago, the Guide data was getting so bloated that Directv decided to cut back on adding any new sub channels (it had nothing whatever to do with any spot beam capacity).  The short of it is, if the channel is not there now, it won't likely ever be and your only choice will be to pick it up directly.

Although well intentioned, the poster Gregzoll has his technical details wrong.  Directv carries no local sub channels on their satellites thus the info about spotbeams is totally irrelevant to your channel 8.1 question.  As Peds48 has posted, the Guide data for off air locals from the AM21 is contained in a data base.  If a particular channel is in the data base then the system will carry the Guide data and the channel will appear in the Guide on the HD DVR.  About a year ago, the Guide data was getting so bloated that Directv decided to cut back on adding any new sub channels (it had nothing whatever to do with any spot beam capacity).  The short of it is, if the channel is not there now, it won't likely ever be and your only choice will be to pick it up directly.

20 of 21 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 5:42:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Wrong is an understatement!!!

Wrong is an understatement!!!

21 of 21 (505 Views)