Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted May 23, 2012
5:12:09 PM
View profile
Update 0x5cd

I noticed that at 2:39am this morning, my HR23, received an update,0x5cd. I also have noticed that the guide which use to show the posters of the programs, but now do not. Will they reappear, or is this a bug of the new update? Undecided

I noticed that at 2:39am this morning, my HR23, received an update,0x5cd. I also have noticed that the guide which use to show the posters of the programs, but now do not. Will they reappear, or is this a bug of the new update? Undecided

Update 0x5cd

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2012 6:39:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

This info takes a few days to download...

This info takes a few days to download...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Update 0x5cd

2 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2012 6:40:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

everytime the receivers gets a new software update, it wipes out all the guide data.  it takes approx 24 to 48 hrs for all the "stuff" to load.  

everytime the receivers gets a new software update, it wipes out all the guide data.  it takes approx 24 to 48 hrs for all the "stuff" to load.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2012 11:48:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

My HR22/100 downloaded software update 0x5cd this morning.  Now when I change channels I only get audio but no picture.  I have to turn off the tv and then back on to get the video.  Same thing when I try to watch a show saved on the hard drive.  Directv needs to update the software.  This is not a problem with my tv or my HDMI cable.

My HR22/100 downloaded software update 0x5cd this morning.  Now when I change channels I only get audio but no picture.  I have to turn off the tv and then back on to get the video.  Same thing when I try to watch a show saved on the hard drive.  Directv needs to update the software.  This is not a problem with my tv or my HDMI cable.

4 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2012 12:22:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

It's an HDMI incompatibility problem with your HDTV and/or AV Surround Receiver.  You can use Component Video cables as a work around until this hopefully gets fixed. 

It's an HDMI incompatibility problem with your HDTV and/or AV Surround Receiver.  You can use Component Video cables as a work around until this hopefully gets fixed. 

5 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2012 1:38:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, 0x5cd introduces a number of HDMI issues, hopefully there will be a new release soon that corrects these...

Yes, 0x5cd introduces a number of HDMI issues, hopefully there will be a new release soon that corrects these...

6 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2012 6:45:38 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have a HR23/700 and got 0x5cd this morning also. I'm also having the video dropout.
My question, since this is my first need to post, is what is everyone's collective experience when texasbrit says:
"...hopefully there will be a new release soon..."
What is "soon"?
I have a HR23/700 and got 0x5cd this morning also. I'm also having the video dropout.
My question, since this is my first need to post, is what is everyone's collective experience when texasbrit says:
What is "soon"?

7 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2012 6:56:19 PM
(0)
Contributor
Also, I have a second dvr, HR24/500 that has older 0x59e. Is there a way I can prevent the update from happening while we wait for the fix to 0x5cd?

AdTHANKSvance
Also, I have a second dvr, HR24/500 that has older 0x59e. Is there a way I can prevent the update from happening while we wait for the fix to 0x5cd?

AdTHANKSvance

8 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2012 7:13:59 PM
(0)
Professor
Quote: Originally Posted by wireguy 
What is "soon"?

See post # 5. Sure and probably a permanent fix. I run component cables to the TV and an Optical cable to my Yamaha for sound. You can run component cables to the TV and Red and White for Audio. Never have another  problem with HDMI connections.

What is "soon"?

See post # 5. Sure and probably a permanent fix. I run component cables to the TV and an Optical cable to my Yamaha for sound. You can run component cables to the TV and Red and White for Audio. Never have another  problem with HDMI connections.

9 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2012 7:15:14 PM
(0)
Professor

AdTHANKSvance

No. software automatic updates when it is sent from the satellite.

AdTHANKSvance

No. software automatic updates when it is sent from the satellite.

10 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2012 7:26:57 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thanks very much for your help. I just noticed that the first poster in this thread was from May 23...
Off to cablestogo.com ...
Thanks very much for your help. I just noticed that the first poster in this thread was from May 23...
Off to cablestogo.com ...

11 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2012 11:29:28 AM
(0)
Teacher

Same problem here, and it's been going on for about 10 days now (since the last software download on May 23)...and it also happened at the beginning of May after a previous software download, but engineering was apparently able to do something to correct it the first time but not this time. I've been on the phone with tech support three times and have been told that it has been "escalated to engineering" and no one knows how long it'll be before it's fixed. What's up with that? Does anyone have any newer information?

Same problem here, and it's been going on for about 10 days now (since the last software download on May 23)...and it also happened at the beginning of May after a previous software download, but engineering was apparently able to do something to correct it the first time but not this time. I've been on the phone with tech support three times and have been told that it has been "escalated to engineering" and no one knows how long it'll be before it's fixed. What's up with that? Does anyone have any newer information?

12 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2012 12:33:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It's a known issue and directv is aware.  It will be most likely b fixed one the national release.   In the meantime use component cables as a work around.

It's a known issue and directv is aware.  It will be most likely b fixed one the national release.   In the meantime use component cables as a work around.

13 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2012 12:34:14 PM
(0)
Teacher

Just FYI...

In reading other threads, I've discovered a workaround that has given me a temporary solution: I changed the supported resolutions in the Settings menu to 480 (unchecked the 720 and 1080 ones), and although the picture is lower res, it's ok to watch and I'm now able to switch directly between channels and DVR recorded programs...it beats trying to run new component cables down through a wall as a temporary solution! Please excuse my "yelling," but:

SURELY DIRECTV WILL GET SOMETHING DONE RIGHT AWAY. THIS IS ABSURD AND IT'S NOT WHAT WE'RE ALL PAYING FOR!!!

Just FYI...

In reading other threads, I've discovered a workaround that has given me a temporary solution: I changed the supported resolutions in the Settings menu to 480 (unchecked the 720 and 1080 ones), and although the picture is lower res, it's ok to watch and I'm now able to switch directly between channels and DVR recorded programs...it beats trying to run new component cables down through a wall as a temporary solution! Please excuse my "yelling," but:

SURELY DIRECTV WILL GET SOMETHING DONE RIGHT AWAY. THIS IS ABSURD AND IT'S NOT WHAT WE'RE ALL PAYING FOR!!!

14 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2012 2:30:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by draley  

Just FYI...

you don't need to run the component cables down the wall.  is a temp fix anyway.  and no need to "yell" at us.  as you probably know we are not DirecTV employees, just customers like yourself.  if you want DirecTv to see your complain, it would be best to send them an email.  they won't  see it here.

Quote: Originally Posted by draley  

Just FYI...

you don't need to run the component cables down the wall.  is a temp fix anyway.  and no need to "yell" at us.  as you probably know we are not DirecTV employees, just customers like yourself.  if you want DirecTv to see your complain, it would be best to send them an email.  they won't  see it here.

15 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2012 2:41:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

peds48_installs: thanks for the reply, and as I said, "please excuse my 'yelling'" but as I'm sure you can appreciate, the frustration level here (as with so many other DTV customers) is very high.  I did, in fact, email DTV after my last post...and that's in addition to the three rather lengthy phone calls to technical support in the last 10 days.  The first indication I had that the problem is so widespread was when I visited this forum today.  Again, hopefully DTV will provide a real solution quickly.

peds48_installs: thanks for the reply, and as I said, "please excuse my 'yelling'" but as I'm sure you can appreciate, the frustration level here (as with so many other DTV customers) is very high.  I did, in fact, email DTV after my last post...and that's in addition to the three rather lengthy phone calls to technical support in the last 10 days.  The first indication I had that the problem is so widespread was when I visited this forum today.  Again, hopefully DTV will provide a real solution quickly.

16 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2012 11:09:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have a Hitachi 42HDT51, and since 0x5cd, it will not show the output from my HR22 properly. On initial startup of the box after a reset, the image shows fine, but once it goes to live TV and regular menus from the DVR, the image acts as if there is a sync or handshake issue. When I change resolutions using the button on the box or the "format" button on the remote, it will change how the image is garbled (multiple repeats of the image squashed together horizontally, but with black lines interspersed, totally black, etc...). The only recognizable image comes when set for 480p (but colors are off and it is as if the image is overscanned), then when I try different resolutions through the setup menu, it seems to have handshake issues, and won't return to being viewable, even though it thinks it's going back to 480p. Has always worked fine up until this SW. I can reproduce this with other HR22s from elsewhere in my house. Phone reps are baffled and not really helpful, and insist that they have not heard anything at all about this issue. Really making me think of switching to cable after 10 years of DTV.

I have a Hitachi 42HDT51, and since 0x5cd, it will not show the output from my HR22 properly. On initial startup of the box after a reset, the image shows fine, but once it goes to live TV and regular menus from the DVR, the image acts as if there is a sync or handshake issue. When I change resolutions using the button on the box or the "format" button on the remote, it will change how the image is garbled (multiple repeats of the image squashed together horizontally, but with black lines interspersed, totally black, etc...). The only recognizable image comes when set for 480p (but colors are off and it is as if the image is overscanned), then when I try different resolutions through the setup menu, it seems to have handshake issues, and won't return to being viewable, even though it thinks it's going back to 480p. Has always worked fine up until this SW. I can reproduce this with other HR22s from elsewhere in my house. Phone reps are baffled and not really helpful, and insist that they have not heard anything at all about this issue. Really making me think of switching to cable after 10 years of DTV.

17 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2012 5:52:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

My work around for the HDMI video signal loss doesn't require component cables or reducing the resolution. I've got an HR21 with a Samsung TV.  In the "TV Resolutions" preferences under the Display Settings menu, select the highest screen resolution that your television will support. Go to the "Video" preferences under the Display Settings menu and turn the "Native" setting to Off. This will allow you to lock the resolution in on the receiver, forcing it to convert any signals to the resolution you specify. After exiting the menu, you can use the Format button on your remote to cycle through the different resolution/screen formats to get one you like.

My work around for the HDMI video signal loss doesn't require component cables or reducing the resolution. I've got an HR21 with a Samsung TV.  In the "TV Resolutions" preferences under the Display Settings menu, select the highest screen resolution that your television will support. Go to the "Video" preferences under the Display Settings menu and turn the "Native" setting to Off. This will allow you to lock the resolution in on the receiver, forcing it to convert any signals to the resolution you specify. After exiting the menu, you can use the Format button on your remote to cycle through the different resolution/screen formats to get one you like.

18 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2012 6:27:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

That's a great work around.  Just turned off native and it works great with HDMI cables.  It's the native feature that doesn't work with certain television with the latest Directv update.

That's a great work around.  Just turned off native and it works great with HDMI cables.  It's the native feature that doesn't work with certain television with the latest Directv update.

19 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 6:32:35 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having similar issues.

Unchecking Native and selecting 1080P 'seems' to be an acceptable resolution temporarily (so far). However, after choosing 1080P I'm only able to select 720 settings using the format button ... and my HR21/200 only displays that it's putting out a 720 resolution. Does anyone have any thoughts on why?

I'm also curious if this handshake issue from the 0x5cd update affects allDTV HD/DVR receivers.

Unchecking Native and selecting 1080P 'seems' to be an acceptable resolution temporarily (so far). However, after choosing 1080P I'm only able to select 720 settings using the format button ... and my HR21/200 only displays that it's putting out a 720 resolution. Does anyone have any thoughts on why?

I'm also curious if this handshake issue from the 0x5cd update affects allDTV HD/DVR receivers.

20 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 7:24:32 AM
(0)
Professor
Quote: Originally Posted by mongoose 

1080p is only for some PPV movies.

1080i is what should be checked. Since the program is not a PPV it is being downgraded to the next, in our case, 720p resolution.

1080p is only for some PPV movies.

1080i is what should be checked. Since the program is not a PPV it is being downgraded to the next, in our case, 720p resolution.

21 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 11:15:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

for the most part, Yes

for the most part, Yes

22 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 11:45:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The DVRs all use the same software, but that does not mean everyone's installation has the problems. Whether you have problems or not depends mainly on which model TV or A/V receiver is connected via HDMI to the DVR.

The DVRs all use the same software, but that does not mean everyone's installation has the problems. Whether you have problems or not depends mainly on which model TV or A/V receiver is connected via HDMI to the DVR.

23 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2012 3:15:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

The problems that all of you are experiening is do to the last update that Directv did. It cause havoc with all the HDMI functions. Some worse than others. This is what I wrote Directv and there response.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Update 0x5cd

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email(Aleiza N. (ID 100289191)) - 06/07/2012 04:04 AM
Dear Mr. Hill,

Thank you for writing. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the recent
software update. It is not the intent of DIRECTV to create problems for our
customers.

Normally, DIRECTV equipment and installations are very reliable. When we are
made aware of technical issues, our technical staff works diligently to get
those issues resolved as soon as possible. We are aware of the issue you are
experiencing. Our engineers are investigating and working quickly to resolve the
issue and restore your preferred DIRECTV programming to your television.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue for you, Mr.
Hill.

Sincerely,

Aleiza N. - 100289191
DIRECTV Customer Service

P. S. Football season is coming soon! Catch up to 14 games every week this fall
with NFL SUNDAY TICKET, now available at directv.com/nfl.

Customer By Web Form (Matthew Hill) - 06/06/2012 08:28 PM
Ever since this update came into effect, this update has caused a lot of
problems with a lot of people. I was told by a CSR that there was no known
problems with the update. A new reciever later, the box was find for 2 days
until udpate, then same problem with the HDMI. This is affecting the HDMI
interface with tvs not going to1080. This IS a known issue if you check the
forums. It is not acceptable to me to use the temp fix( component output). I pay
for the use of Sat on my tv at the setup the is best for me, which is HDMI.
Directv came out with this update that was supposed to been verified by your IT
dept. This needs to be fixed. I have been a loyal customer for about 10 years
and should not have to put up with inferior software updates that interferes
with my watching enjoyment. I
and proberly other customers, may want a refund on our services until this
problem is fixed.

[---001:001660:31891---]

No problems with anybodys tv's or recievers,or anything else. Just bad software update on Directv side. Hope this helps. I have been thru this for the last month. With a new box, no problem for 2 days until update, then problems again. It does not mater what kind of tv or a/v reciever you have, it will affect you somehow.

The problems that all of you are experiening is do to the last update that Directv did. It cause havoc with all the HDMI functions. Some worse than others. This is what I wrote Directv and there response.

Subject
Update 0x5cd

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email(Aleiza N. (ID 100289191)) - 06/07/2012 04:04 AM
Dear Mr. Hill,

Thank you for writing. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the recent
software update. It is not the intent of DIRECTV to create problems for our
customers.

Normally, DIRECTV equipment and installations are very reliable. When we are
made aware of technical issues, our technical staff works diligently to get
those issues resolved as soon as possible. We are aware of the issue you are
experiencing. Our engineers are investigating and working quickly to resolve the
issue and restore your preferred DIRECTV programming to your television.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue for you, Mr.
Hill.

Sincerely,

Aleiza N. - 100289191
DIRECTV Customer Service

P. S. Football season is coming soon! Catch up to 14 games every week this fall
with NFL SUNDAY TICKET, now available at directv.com/nfl.

Customer By Web Form (Matthew Hill) - 06/06/2012 08:28 PM
Ever since this update came into effect, this update has caused a lot of
problems with a lot of people. I was told by a CSR that there was no known
problems with the update. A new reciever later, the box was find for 2 days
until udpate, then same problem with the HDMI. This is affecting the HDMI
interface with tvs not going to1080. This IS a known issue if you check the
forums. It is not acceptable to me to use the temp fix( component output). I pay
for the use of Sat on my tv at the setup the is best for me, which is HDMI.
Directv came out with this update that was supposed to been verified by your IT
dept. This needs to be fixed. I have been a loyal customer for about 10 years
and should not have to put up with inferior software updates that interferes
with my watching enjoyment. I
and proberly other customers, may want a refund on our services until this
problem is fixed.

[---001:001660:31891---]

No problems with anybodys tv's or recievers,or anything else. Just bad software update on Directv side. Hope this helps. I have been thru this for the last month. With a new box, no problem for 2 days until update, then problems again. It does not mater what kind of tv or a/v reciever you have, it will affect you somehow.

24 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2012 3:46:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by madness10 

apparently you just were made aware of this issue.  DirecTV is already working on a fix

Quote: Originally Posted by madness10 

apparently you just were made aware of this issue.  DirecTV is already working on a fix

25 of 26 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2012 9:07:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problem with a 32" Sharp Aquos.

What worked for me temporarily was to disable all modes other than 480i on the Direct TV receiver.

The picture is not as good as before, but at least I still get a picture when I change channels.

I have the same problem with a 32" Sharp Aquos.

What worked for me temporarily was to disable all modes other than 480i on the Direct TV receiver.

The picture is not as good as before, but at least I still get a picture when I change channels.

26 of 26 (0 Views)