Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Apr 5, 2014
1:26:19 PM
TV won't access DirecTV box when turned on

OK just had my direcTV installed today and everything seemed to be working fine.  Then the installer left and I finally decided to turn the TV off (the remote has been programmed to turn off both the TV and DirecTV DVR box).  Both items turned off appropriately.  Later, I went to turn them back on again - both the TV AND the box turned ON, but there was nothing showing on the TV.  The TV is definitely on the correct HDMI source.  If I unplug the HDMI cable at the back of the TV or the back of the DVR box and plug it back in, the program shows up immediately.  Why won't my TV access the DVR box when turning them both back on?

Thanks for any input

OK just had my direcTV installed today and everything seemed to be working fine.  Then the installer left and I finally decided to turn the TV off (the remote has been programmed to turn off both the TV and DirecTV DVR box).  Both items turned off appropriately.  Later, I went to turn them back on again - both the TV AND the box turned ON, but there was nothing showing on the TV.  The TV is definitely on the correct HDMI source.  If I unplug the HDMI cable at the back of the TV or the back of the DVR box and plug it back in, the program shows up immediately.  Why won't my TV access the DVR box when turning them both back on?

Thanks for any input

TV won't access DirecTV box when turned on

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 1:35:58 PM
(0)
Guru

Try adjusting the resiloution

from the front panel button

Try adjusting the resiloution

from the front panel button

Re: TV won't access DirecTV box when turned on

2 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 1:36:23 PM
(0)
Administrator

What model receiver do you have?

On the front of the receiver, there should be a RES button, and some coordinating lights to the right of it/numbers that show what it's set on.

When you unplug the hdmi cable, see if the light changes to a different number. Try and cycle through resolutions when you're receiver and tv are both on after you've pressed the on button on your remote.

What model receiver do you have?

On the front of the receiver, there should be a RES button, and some coordinating lights to the right of it/numbers that show what it's set on.

When you unplug the hdmi cable, see if the light changes to a different number. Try and cycle through resolutions when you're receiver and tv are both on after you've pressed the on button on your remote.

3 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 1:56:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

Adjusting the resolution did not change the results.  HR44-700 is the model #

Adjusting the resolution did not change the results.  HR44-700 is the model #

4 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 1:57:19 PM
(0)
Administrator

What if you turned the receiver on first, then the tv? By just pressing power on receiver, then power on tv

What if you turned the receiver on first, then the tv? By just pressing power on receiver, then power on tv

5 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 2:06:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

That did not make a difference either.

That did not make a difference either.

6 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 2:22:34 PM
(0)
Guru

Try component or composite cables.maybee the hdmi port

Is malfuncfioning

Try component or composite cables.maybee the hdmi port

Is malfuncfioning

7 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 2:23:50 PM
(0)
Guru

Also try red button reset on reciever front right panel

Also try red button reset on reciever front right panel

8 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 3:01:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have used the red reset button with no success.  I don't believe it's the HDMI port - I plugged the cord into a different port and it did the exact same thing.  And I don't see how it could be the HDMI cord because I know it does work, just not without unplugging and plugging the cord back in.

Could it be a setting issue on the box or TV?  I'm out of ideas.

Thanks everyone

I have used the red reset button with no success.  I don't believe it's the HDMI port - I plugged the cord into a different port and it did the exact same thing.  And I don't see how it could be the HDMI cord because I know it does work, just not without unplugging and plugging the cord back in.

Could it be a setting issue on the box or TV?  I'm out of ideas.

Thanks everyone

9 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 3:05:30 PM
(0)
Employee

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 3:09:29 PM
(0)
Administrator

He has a HR44-700.

He has a HR44-700.

11 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 3:15:07 PM
(0)
Employee

missed that. Thanks

to the OP.  since you have reset the receiver, are you getting a picture now?

missed that. Thanks

to the OP.  since you have reset the receiver, are you getting a picture now?

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

12 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 3:21:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah I can get the picture to come up.  But not without unplugging the HDMI cord and plugging it back in.  The TV is on and I'm getting picture, then I turn it off.  When I turn it back on, it's basically the TV is not recognizing the box.

Yeah I can get the picture to come up.  But not without unplugging the HDMI cord and plugging it back in.  The TV is on and I'm getting picture, then I turn it off.  When I turn it back on, it's basically the TV is not recognizing the box.

13 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 3:33:01 PM
(0)
Employee

What happens if you leave the HR44 ON and turn the TV OFF?

What happens if you leave the HR44 ON and turn the TV OFF?

14 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 3:45:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

Same issue happens.  This has got to be a problem with the TV right?  I consider myself pretty tech-savvy but this is maddening.

Same issue happens.  This has got to be a problem with the TV right?  I consider myself pretty tech-savvy but this is maddening.

15 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 3:48:35 PM
(0)
Employee

Yes, it points to a handshake issue

Yes, it points to a handshake issue

16 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 4:11:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

Any idea what setting on the TV would do this?  I've been through them and nothing seems to be relevant or has fixed it.

Any idea what setting on the TV would do this?  I've been through them and nothing seems to be relevant or has fixed it.

17 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 4:12:53 PM
(0)
Guru

What brand tv is it and is it full 1080p capable

What brand tv is it and is it full 1080p capable

18 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 4:19:48 PM
(0)
Guru

Try a different hdmi cable i was just recentley on a service

Call with the same issue and that solved the problem

Try a different hdmi cable i was just recentley on a service

Call with the same issue and that solved the problem

19 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 4:40:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

It is a Sony Bravia KDL-46EX500.  I'm confident it is 1080p capable

It is a Sony Bravia KDL-46EX500.  I'm confident it is 1080p capable

20 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 5:36:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

I really would say, after looking at all the other info, that you would do best to try replacing the HDMI cable. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you'd want to switch to component cabling as it would then be proven to be a handshaking issue.

I really would say, after looking at all the other info, that you would do best to try replacing the HDMI cable. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you'd want to switch to component cabling as it would then be proven to be a handshaking issue.

21 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 5:26:08 AM
(0)
Guru

It is.

It is.

22 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2015 5:39:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

my resolution changed every time I cut the TV/Box on.  Called the service center and a technician came and installed a new dvr receiver.  Same problem.  All settings were correct.  Technician said it was my TV-- my TV was not getting  DTV signal=- unless I changed it manually by the box.  I discoved it was the sequence of turning the tv and DTV box on.  If I leave the box on all the time-= and push  on the on button the remote--it  works correctly.  If I cut the DTV  box off by the remote- and when I cut the tv back on it says no signal.  I have to go to the box and manually reset the resolution correctly.  This happened overnight-nothing was changed. So now-I never touch the off button on the remote--the "on" button cuts the TV off and on.  Comes back normal=---weird.

my resolution changed every time I cut the TV/Box on.  Called the service center and a technician came and installed a new dvr receiver.  Same problem.  All settings were correct.  Technician said it was my TV-- my TV was not getting  DTV signal=- unless I changed it manually by the box.  I discoved it was the sequence of turning the tv and DTV box on.  If I leave the box on all the time-= and push  on the on button the remote--it  works correctly.  If I cut the DTV  box off by the remote- and when I cut the tv back on it says no signal.  I have to go to the box and manually reset the resolution correctly.  This happened overnight-nothing was changed. So now-I never touch the off button on the remote--the "on" button cuts the TV off and on.  Comes back normal=---weird.

23 of 24 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2015 9:23:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

+1 good loading answer.

+1 good loading answer.

24 of 24 (542 Views)