Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Oct 29, 2013
5:04:59 PM
View profile
Sometimes my H25-500 box won't turn on.....

As the title says, sometimes my H25-500 box won't turn on after it has set for the day.  I've always turned it and the TV off with the remote every morning when I leave for work.  When I get home in the afternoon and turn the box and TV on, the blue DirecTV image comes on, but nothing happens.  If I turn the box off and back on, it comes on and works fine.  I know it isn't the TV because it comes on and the on screen setting comes on as it always does telling me that the HDMI setting for the satellite is waiting for the signal.  Is this somehow normal or should I call customer service to see about a replacement.  Or should I leave the box on and just turn off the TV?   If it makes a difference, I've had DirecTV for a little over 4 months.  The installer said I should turn off the box when I turn the TV off. 

As the title says, sometimes my H25-500 box won't turn on after it has set for the day.  I've always turned it and the TV off with the remote every morning when I leave for work.  When I get home in the afternoon and turn the box and TV on, the blue DirecTV image comes on, but nothing happens.  If I turn the box off and back on, it comes on and works fine.  I know it isn't the TV because it comes on and the on screen setting comes on as it always does telling me that the HDMI setting for the satellite is waiting for the signal.  Is this somehow normal or should I call customer service to see about a replacement.  Or should I leave the box on and just turn off the TV?   If it makes a difference, I've had DirecTV for a little over 4 months.  The installer said I should turn off the box when I turn the TV off. 

Sometimes my H25-500 box won't turn on.....

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 7:01:08 PM
(0)
Professor

That is not normal, there will be $20 shipping fee to replace a defective/no lights come on receiver or $50 for a tech to come out, both free if you have the protection plan.  

That is not normal, there will be $20 shipping fee to replace a defective/no lights come on receiver or $50 for a tech to come out, both free if you have the protection plan.  

Re: Sometimes my H25-500 box won't turn on.....

2 of 10 (36 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 7:45:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hold the phone!!  They are going to charge me anywhere from $20 to $50 to replace/figure out what's wrong with a box that is only 4 months old?  As I understand it, I am LEASING this box, not buying it.  It belongs to them already.  Why should I pay a darn dime, even if I don't have a "protection plan".  Doesn't the stupid box have some sort of warranty?  :smileyangry:

On a side note, I just received an email from DirecTV today asking me to fill out a "how are we doing" survey of some sort.  I was all set to give them all thumbs up. Maybe I won't now. 

Hold the phone!!  They are going to charge me anywhere from $20 to $50 to replace/figure out what's wrong with a box that is only 4 months old?  As I understand it, I am LEASING this box, not buying it.  It belongs to them already.  Why should I pay a darn dime, even if I don't have a "protection plan".  Doesn't the stupid box have some sort of warranty?  :smileyangry:

On a side note, I just received an email from DirecTV today asking me to fill out a "how are we doing" survey of some sort.  I was all set to give them all thumbs up. Maybe I won't now. 

3 of 10 (36 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 8:03:00 PM
(0)
Professor

90 day warranty and that is DTVs policy on replacements or repairs, contact DTV directly they may waive the fees.

90 day warranty and that is DTVs policy on replacements or repairs, contact DTV directly they may waive the fees.

4 of 10 (36 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 3:25:16 AM
(0)
Expert

Have you tried fresh batteries in the remote?  You'd be surprised at the odd behavior that marginal batteries will exhibit.

Have you tried fresh batteries in the remote?  You'd be surprised at the odd behavior that marginal batteries will exhibit.

5 of 10 (36 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 4:31:36 AM
(0)
Teacher

As I said in the OP, the box turns on.  It sometimes just doesn't do anything unless I turn it off and back on.  I doubt that it would do that if the batteries in the remote were bad.

As I said in the OP, the box turns on.  It sometimes just doesn't do anything unless I turn it off and back on.  I doubt that it would do that if the batteries in the remote were bad.

6 of 10 (36 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 4:34:29 AM
(0)
Teacher

Also, another thing that periodically happens is when I press the GUIDE button, the guide comes up instantly, but once in awhile it remains empty for up to 30 seconds, then works normally.  I always just attributed this behavior to weather conditions, but now I'm not so sure.....

Also, another thing that periodically happens is when I press the GUIDE button, the guide comes up instantly, but once in awhile it remains empty for up to 30 seconds, then works normally.  I always just attributed this behavior to weather conditions, but now I'm not so sure.....

7 of 10 (36 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 4:34:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The dish, wiring, splitters, etc becomes yours after they are installed by DirecTV and as such is your responsibility to maintain them.  DirecTV will replace defective receivers free of charge but you cover S&H without the protection plan.

The dish, wiring, splitters, etc becomes yours after they are installed by DirecTV and as such is your responsibility to maintain them.  DirecTV will replace defective receivers free of charge but you cover S&H without the protection plan.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 10 (36 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 5:08:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

So, what's the proper procedure for getting a replacement box?  Just call support, describe what's going on and request a new one?  Or do they need to send someone out to check it, knowing full well that it will probably never act up when they are here?  

So, what's the proper procedure for getting a replacement box?  Just call support, describe what's going on and request a new one?  Or do they need to send someone out to check it, knowing full well that it will probably never act up when they are here?  

9 of 10 (36 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 5:11:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

depends.  When you call they will run through some troubleshooting steps.  If the CSRs determines that the box is defective, they will drop ship you a new one>  If you have the PP, shipping is free, if not you pay to have it delivered to you.  If the CSR thinks that there might be a problem other than the receiver, they will schedule a service visit.  there might be a charge of $49.00 or free if you have the PP

depends.  When you call they will run through some troubleshooting steps.  If the CSRs determines that the box is defective, they will drop ship you a new one>  If you have the PP, shipping is free, if not you pay to have it delivered to you.  If the CSR thinks that there might be a problem other than the receiver, they will schedule a service visit.  there might be a charge of $49.00 or free if you have the PP

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 10 (36 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments