Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Sep 28, 2013
9:58:57 AM
View profile
Newly installed. Got H25 Receivers. NO Lan port. Are there any basic HD receivers with LAN? (Owners manual shows a version of one) thoughts?

Hello!

New to DirecTV.  The installer came yesterday and install 2 HR25 Receivers. Looks like basic model, really all we need.

I referred to the owners manual and it shows 2 versions. 1 with a lan port and 1 without.  How can I get the one with the Lan port?

Hello!

New to DirecTV.  The installer came yesterday and install 2 HR25 Receivers. Looks like basic model, really all we need.

I referred to the owners manual and it shows 2 versions. 1 with a lan port and 1 without.  How can I get the one with the Lan port?

Newly installed. Got H25 Receivers. NO Lan port. Are there any basic HD receivers with LAN? (Owners manual shows a version of one) thoughts?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2013 10:02:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

There are no H25 HD Receivers with a LAN port.  But the older (H21, H23) HD Receivers do have a LAN port.   But why do you want a LAN port?  There's not much that a non-DVR can do with a LAN port. 

There are no H25 HD Receivers with a LAN port.  But the older (H21, H23) HD Receivers do have a LAN port.   But why do you want a LAN port?  There's not much that a non-DVR can do with a LAN port. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Newly installed. Got H25 Receivers. NO Lan port. Are there any basic HD receivers with LAN? (Owners manual shows a version of one) thoughts?

2 of 7 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2013 10:04:08 AM
(0)
Teacher

Can you use your iPhone as a remote with a LAN port? Or is it just for movie ordering?

Thank you for your answer!

Can you use your iPhone as a remote with a LAN port? Or is it just for movie ordering?

Thank you for your answer!

Re: Newly installed. Got H25 Receivers.  NO Lan port.  Are there any basic HD receivers with LAN? (Owners manual shows a version of one) thoughts?

3 of 7 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2013 10:06:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The DirecTV iPhone App only acts as a remote with HD DVRs, not HD Receivers.   And typically DirecTV equipment is networked via the "Single Wire Multiswitch" satellite coax cables, not any LAN ports.   On a Receiver, there's really nothing you can do with the LAN port.   Remote movie ordering via DirecTV's web site or smartphone app sends a signal to the Receiver via the satellite feed, not a LAN/internet connection.

The DirecTV iPhone App only acts as a remote with HD DVRs, not HD Receivers.   And typically DirecTV equipment is networked via the "Single Wire Multiswitch" satellite coax cables, not any LAN ports.   On a Receiver, there's really nothing you can do with the LAN port.   Remote movie ordering via DirecTV's web site or smartphone app sends a signal to the Receiver via the satellite feed, not a LAN/internet connection.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Newly installed. Got H25 Receivers. NO Lan port. Are there any basic HD receivers with LAN? (Owners manual shows a version of one) thoughts?

4 of 7 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2013 3:29:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

there are apps that you can use your iPhone as a remote, but DirecTV never connects an HD only receivers set up to the net.  only when there is an HDDVR involved.  If you want your receivers connected to the internet, you will have to do it yourself.

there are apps that you can use your iPhone as a remote, but DirecTV never connects an HD only receivers set up to the net.  only when there is an HDDVR involved.  If you want your receivers connected to the internet, you will have to do it yourself.

Re: Newly installed. Got H25 Receivers.  NO Lan port.  Are there any basic HD receivers with LAN? (Owners manual shows a version of one) thoughts?

5 of 7 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2013 8:53:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

There are a few benefits to having an internet connected H25.  TVApps is a nice feature.  I use it occasionally for local weather and the weather channel radar.  IPPV (Impulse Pay Per View) would be enabled with an internet connection, meaning you could use your remote to purchase PPVs.  You could also use any of the smartphone apps to turn your phone into a remote.

As peds48 stated, providing an internet connection to the H25s would most likely be on you.  You could contact DirecTV and explain that you would like to be able to order PPV movies with your remote, but have no land based phone line.  They may offer you a free or discounted Wireless Cinema Connection Kit.

If not, there are plenty available online.  Here is a link to one at SolidSignal for $56.  http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=cck-w&d=directv-cck-w-wireless-deca-cinema-connection-kit-(cc...)

Cheaper on eBay.

Good Luck!!

There are a few benefits to having an internet connected H25.  TVApps is a nice feature.  I use it occasionally for local weather and the weather channel radar.  IPPV (Impulse Pay Per View) would be enabled with an internet connection, meaning you could use your remote to purchase PPVs.  You could also use any of the smartphone apps to turn your phone into a remote.

As peds48 stated, providing an internet connection to the H25s would most likely be on you.  You could contact DirecTV and explain that you would like to be able to order PPV movies with your remote, but have no land based phone line.  They may offer you a free or discounted Wireless Cinema Connection Kit.

If not, there are plenty available online.  Here is a link to one at SolidSignal for $56.  http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=cck-w&d=directv-cck-w-wireless-deca-cinema-connection-kit-(cck-w)

Cheaper on eBay.

Good Luck!!

6 of 7 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 10:04:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

you sure know your stuff!

you sure know your stuff!

7 of 7 (10 Views)