Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jan 4, 2012
8:01:14 AM
View profile
New HD GUI Guide

Over night I received the new guide and I must say it's awesome. This for sure makes watching and surfing the guide much easier and the look is by far too cool.

Over night I received the new guide and I must say it's awesome. This for sure makes watching and surfing the guide much easier and the look is by far too cool.

New HD GUI Guide

37 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(37)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 9:21:30 AM
(0)
Professor

Glad to hear someone on here  that likes it. Lots of people on here complaining that it is hard to read.

I am sheduled to get it on the 10th and i was beginning to worry a little bit.

Glad to hear someone on here  that likes it. Lots of people on here complaining that it is hard to read.

I am sheduled to get it on the 10th and i was beginning to worry a little bit.

Re: New HD GUI Guide

2 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 9:33:05 AM
(0)
Scholar

jimmie57, it's very easy to read. Now, it's allot different than the old one, so, that might be why others are saying that, but, mine is crystal clear. I watch on a Panasonic 50" Plasma, and have no issues at all. Maybe those whom are saying that have a smaller or even not a plasma. I know that plasmas are more clearer. so who knows. But, I will say that you will really enjoy the new look and how they have arranged the different sections.

jimmie57, it's very easy to read. Now, it's allot different than the old one, so, that might be why others are saying that, but, mine is crystal clear. I watch on a Panasonic 50" Plasma, and have no issues at all. Maybe those whom are saying that have a smaller or even not a plasma. I know that plasmas are more clearer. so who knows. But, I will say that you will really enjoy the new look and how they have arranged the different sections.

3 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 11:08:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I also like the new guide. Of course, you will normally only see posts here from people who don't like it.

I also like the new guide. Of course, you will normally only see posts here from people who don't like it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 11:22:40 AM
(0)
Scholar

texasbrite, I'd bet those whom complain also don't have HDTV that show the crispness or clarity, of the plasmas. Such as DLP's, and other types. But, I know, that this guide is a great upgrade for Directv.

texasbrite, I'd bet those whom complain also don't have HDTV that show the crispness or clarity, of the plasmas. Such as DLP's, and other types. But, I know, that this guide is a great upgrade for Directv.

5 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 11:25:22 AM
(0)
Teacher

Must agree.  New UI is crisp, scrolls quickly and looks great.  The old guide was slow and amateurish in appearance compared to the new guide.  Good job by Directv.

Must agree.  New UI is crisp, scrolls quickly and looks great.  The old guide was slow and amateurish in appearance compared to the new guide.  Good job by Directv.

6 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 12:31:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by sgkane 

I also like the new GUI.  is very snappy

Quote: Originally Posted by sgkane 

I also like the new GUI.  is very snappy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 1:11:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have LCDs and an old projection CRT system, and the new guide looks good on all of them.  My neighbor has DLP and the guide looks great also. I suspect some of the complaints are from people whose TVs are not calibrated very well, so the text is too bright and suffers from glare, or the blacks are not very black.

I have LCDs and an old projection CRT system, and the new guide looks good on all of them.  My neighbor has DLP and the guide looks great also. I suspect some of the complaints are from people whose TVs are not calibrated very well, so the text is too bright and suffers from glare, or the blacks are not very black.

8 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 5:40:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The new guide even looks good on my old Toshiba 19" CRT TV.   

The new guide even looks good on my old Toshiba 19" CRT TV.   

9 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2012 10:52:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just got the new HD GUI on all 3 of my receivers yesterday. Seems like a lot of DMA's should have been in that release based on the schedule. I would like to question the new status/progress/time bar at the bottom. It looks nice but is a step backwards for us that like to read the bottom info while skipping, FF'ing, RW'ing or pausing. Especially on sports programing with constant info at the bottom. Interferes with some Closed Captioning also.

Other than that the GUI is wonderful to me and definitely faster.

Agreed it's an easy step to "exit" out of the banner but why does it have to be so large and non-transparent in the first place. Was the decision to make it larger and opaque instead of transparent something required by the software design or coding? Or was it just a design choice that someone thought looked nice? IMO, it needs to be made smaller and/or transparent.

I just got the new HD GUI on all 3 of my receivers yesterday. Seems like a lot of DMA's should have been in that release based on the schedule. I would like to question the new status/progress/time bar at the bottom. It looks nice but is a step backwards for us that like to read the bottom info while skipping, FF'ing, RW'ing or pausing. Especially on sports programing with constant info at the bottom. Interferes with some Closed Captioning also.

Agreed it's an easy step to "exit" out of the banner but why does it have to be so large and non-transparent in the first place. Was the decision to make it larger and opaque instead of transparent something required by the software design or coding? Or was it just a design choice that someone thought looked nice? IMO, it needs to be made smaller and/or transparent.

10 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2012 3:41:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by kmsparkles 

this fix is in the works....

Quote: Originally Posted by kmsparkles 

this fix is in the works....

11 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2012 7:38:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well it's good you like the new guide but from what I read here there are a LOT of people that think it is hard to read and don't like it!

All directv needs to do is give an option to use the old guide and the issue would be solved.

Everyone that reads these posts and doesn't like the new guide needs to contact directv by email on their website and voice their concerns!

Well it's good you like the new guide but from what I read here there are a LOT of people that think it is hard to read and don't like it!

All directv needs to do is give an option to use the old guide and the issue would be solved.

Everyone that reads these posts and doesn't like the new guide needs to contact directv by email on their website and voice their concerns!

12 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2012 9:24:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by donsdirectv 

That's not an option we're likely to get. 

Quote: Originally Posted by donsdirectv 

That's not an option we're likely to get. 

13 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 10:17:00 AM
(0)
Teacher
This new UI is really an upgrade.
This new UI is really an upgrade.

14 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 6:01:47 AM
(0)
Guru
Quote: Originally Posted by cajazzman 

A lot of people don't like it because it can't be used with SD devises, TV, DVD recorder, etc. I don't like and can see it perfectly so it isn't just that we have inferior TVs to yours.

Quote: Originally Posted by cajazzman 

A lot of people don't like it because it can't be used with SD devises, TV, DVD recorder, etc. I don't like and can see it perfectly so it isn't just that we have inferior TVs to yours.

15 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 8:12:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by joed32 

It absolutely can be used with SD devices.   The easiest solution is a Component-to-Composite Video Converter, which will totally avoid the "Press Exit" pop up message.  But even without that, it's still possible to copy shows to your DVD Recorder by simply following the pop up message instructions to temporarily change to SD resolution. 

Quote: Originally Posted by joed32 

It absolutely can be used with SD devices.   The easiest solution is a Component-to-Composite Video Converter, which will totally avoid the "Press Exit" pop up message.  But even without that, it's still possible to copy shows to your DVD Recorder by simply following the pop up message instructions to temporarily change to SD resolution. 

16 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 9:31:20 AM
(0)
Contributor

When I read these comments as a viewer, they were mostly negative.  Now, after signing in, comments are positive. What gives?  In my opinion, the new guide is horrible.  The color scheme is the most depressing, goth looking, monstrosity I've ever seen.  Can't even see the channel numbers.  Who designs these things?

When I read these comments as a viewer, they were mostly negative.  Now, after signing in, comments are positive. What gives?  In my opinion, the new guide is horrible.  The color scheme is the most depressing, goth looking, monstrosity I've ever seen.  Can't even see the channel numbers.  Who designs these things?

17 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 9:44:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

I love the new guide. Crisp and clean looking.  Great contrast between the dark background and white lettering.  Everything is easy to read.

I love the new guide. Crisp and clean looking.  Great contrast between the dark background and white lettering.  Everything is easy to read.

18 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 11:38:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by gardenflag 

When I read these comments as a viewer, they were mostly negative.  Now, after signing in, comments are positive. What gives?

Because most people love the new guide.....just because is not your cup of tea, it does not mean it has to be the same for everybody else.

When I read these comments as a viewer, they were mostly negative.  Now, after signing in, comments are positive. What gives?

Because most people love the new guide.....just because is not your cup of tea, it does not mean it has to be the same for everybody else.

19 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 11:38:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Well, you stumbled on one of the few threads where someone took the time to post positive feedback.  Of course, most folks only visit forums when they have problems or something to complain about, so it should be no surprise that the negatives outweigh the positives here.  

If you're seriously looking for some help, I'll tell you that your TV's video settings are not properly adjusted if you can't see the channel numbers.  

Well, you stumbled on one of the few threads where someone took the time to post positive feedback.  Of course, most folks only visit forums when they have problems or something to complain about, so it should be no surprise that the negatives outweigh the positives here.  

If you're seriously looking for some help, I'll tell you that your TV's video settings are not properly adjusted if you can't see the channel numbers.  

20 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 2:46:42 PM
(0)
Professor

litzdog911

I think a lot of people run their TVs in the "DEMO" mode and get a super contrast that would make it difficult to read.

I remember when I fist got my HD I did that and in a short while it was hurting my eyes.

I then went into the TV settings and got it into the normal mode and even reduced the backlighting one notch or 2 and it is excellent.

If you adjust the backlighting immediately when you turn on the TV it will be too bright.

The TV need to have warmed up before adjusting the backlighting.

You get the same results on your PC Monitor if you are not careful.

litzdog911

I think a lot of people run their TVs in the "DEMO" mode and get a super contrast that would make it difficult to read.

I remember when I fist got my HD I did that and in a short while it was hurting my eyes.

I then went into the TV settings and got it into the normal mode and even reduced the backlighting one notch or 2 and it is excellent.

If you adjust the backlighting immediately when you turn on the TV it will be too bright.

The TV need to have warmed up before adjusting the backlighting.

You get the same results on your PC Monitor if you are not careful.

21 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 3:19:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

It's true that many people use their Tv in "torch mode" which is often the factory setting. If you read HDTV reviews, turning down the contrast setting is almost always the first thing the reviewer does.  If the contrast is too high, white characters can sometimes be much too bright.

It's true that many people use their Tv in "torch mode" which is often the factory setting. If you read HDTV reviews, turning down the contrast setting is almost always the first thing the reviewer does.  If the contrast is too high, white characters can sometimes be much too bright.

22 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 5:37:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yep, "torch mode" is the default on most TVs because the manufacturers want their TV's to "scream" louder then the other guy's while on the store's display so that they get your attention 

Yep, "torch mode" is the default on most TVs because the manufacturers want their TV's to "scream" louder then the other guy's while on the store's display so that they get your attention 

23 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 7:47:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

A good clue is when the background color appears as black.  On a properly adjusted TV, it's actually a dark grey.   I still have the old GUI on my HR34 and it really looks ugly and outdated compared to the new HD GUI on my other HD DVRs and Receivers. 

A good clue is when the background color appears as black.  On a properly adjusted TV, it's actually a dark grey.   I still have the old GUI on my HR34 and it really looks ugly and outdated compared to the new HD GUI on my other HD DVRs and Receivers. 

24 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 6:17:38 AM
(0)
Guru
Quote: Originally Posted by litzdog911 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 

I know all that but it's the reason that I don't like the guide. I can work around it but I can't say that I enjoy having it that way. I'm not whining about it at all, just some one who says if you don't have a Plasma or DLP may cause you not to see the guide is pretty far fetched I just junked my DLP for an LED 3D LCD and the picture is great. I also have 2 other TVs that are Sony LED LCD that I love and are even clear enough to read the text in the guide.

Quote: Originally Posted by litzdog911 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 

I know all that but it's the reason that I don't like the guide. I can work around it but I can't say that I enjoy having it that way. I'm not whining about it at all, just some one who says if you don't have a Plasma or DLP may cause you not to see the guide is pretty far fetched I just junked my DLP for an LED 3D LCD and the picture is great. I also have 2 other TVs that are Sony LED LCD that I love and are even clear enough to read the text in the guide.

25 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 11:23:09 AM
(0)
Scholar

I don't know how DTV selected the test people, obviously they are color blind. This new color is horrible, i'm sorry, i meant lack of color. White on a black background. HORRIBLE!

I don't know how DTV selected the test people, obviously they are color blind. This new color is horrible, i'm sorry, i meant lack of color. White on a black background. HORRIBLE!

26 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 1:03:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

I love this new H guide, but we see many that aren't. But, if you look at the different companies, such as cable, sat, etc..... You will see theirs is very similar to Directv's. So, what can we say about all of these others? That this is how you will see HD guides in the furture and beyond.

I love this new H guide, but we see many that aren't. But, if you look at the different companies, such as cable, sat, etc..... You will see theirs is very similar to Directv's. So, what can we say about all of these others? That this is how you will see HD guides in the furture and beyond.

27 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 1:46:19 PM
(0)
Scholar

The last time i saw Dish's Guide it was much more user friendly. I'd switch but i've heard a lot of horror stories about them & Comcast. Just waiting on ATT Uverse to switch.

The last time i saw Dish's Guide it was much more user friendly. I'd switch but i've heard a lot of horror stories about them & Comcast. Just waiting on ATT Uverse to switch.

28 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 1:49:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

What's so great about it? It's harder to see the white against black. I have a new HD that has a great pic. But with the new guide it's just not pretty, 2 colors, B&W. There needs to be more colors, harder to search for what i'm looking for. How did DTV come up with this?

What's so great about it? It's harder to see the white against black. I have a new HD that has a great pic. But with the new guide it's just not pretty, 2 colors, B&W. There needs to be more colors, harder to search for what i'm looking for. How did DTV come up with this?

29 of 38 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 1:58:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by thomasr1950 

If you're only seeing "2 colors, B&W", then your TV's picture settings are not optimized. 

Quote: Originally Posted by thomasr1950 

If you're only seeing "2 colors, B&W", then your TV's picture settings are not optimized. 

30 of 38 (16 Views)