Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jul 30, 2014
9:10:57 AM
View profile
My local channels look like they are not in widescreen format.

My local channels look like they are not in widescreen format. All other HD channels look fine, it's just the local channels. I am new to DirectTV. On WFMY it says HD beside the name of the program but it's not looking like it is. I have reset the box and set the format to widescreen.

My local channels look like they are not in widescreen format. All other HD channels look fine, it's just the local channels. I am new to DirectTV. On WFMY it says HD beside the name of the program but it's not looking like it is. I have reset the box and set the format to widescreen.

My local channels look like they are not in widescreen format.

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2014 10:24:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

What model Receiver/DVR do you have?   Be sure you're tuning to the HiDef version of the channel, not the standard definition version.   Is this happening with just WFMY, or all of your local channels?  Note that DirecTV doesn't provide all of your local channels in HiDef.  And, of course, some older shows were never created in widescreen 16:9 HD format.

What model Receiver/DVR do you have?   Be sure you're tuning to the HiDef version of the channel, not the standard definition version.   Is this happening with just WFMY, or all of your local channels?  Note that DirecTV doesn't provide all of your local channels in HiDef.  And, of course, some older shows were never created in widescreen 16:9 HD format.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: My local channels look like they are not in widescreen format.

2 of 8 (122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2014 11:08:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

It is the Genie HD  HR44-500

I think that is where I am confused. It is happening with all of the local channels. There is only 1 channel for my local. I know when I was with TWC, I had 2 channels. 1 regular and 1 HD. Is this the way Direct should be? A friend of mine told me there were 2 but I do not have those HD channels showing up in my guide.

It is the Genie HD  HR44-500

I think that is where I am confused. It is happening with all of the local channels. There is only 1 channel for my local. I know when I was with TWC, I had 2 channels. 1 regular and 1 HD. Is this the way Direct should be? A friend of mine told me there were 2 but I do not have those HD channels showing up in my guide.

3 of 8 (122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2014 12:55:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

What's your zip code??

What's your zip code??

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 8 (122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2014 12:57:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

5 of 8 (122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2014 1:47:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

According to the DirecTV Local Channel lookup tool, you should be getting several HD local channels ...

http://www.directv.com/local

When was your equipment installed?  By whom?

According to the DirecTV Local Channel lookup tool, you should be getting several HD local channels ...

http://www.directv.com/local

When was your equipment installed?  By whom?

6 of 8 (122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2014 1:57:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

It was just installed Monday by Direct TV.

The screen just looks like it's zoomed in and the channel's logo that is ghosted in the bottom corner is almost in the center of the screen.... not sure what is going on. Just on the local HD channels. The local channels that are NOT HD look correct. Weird.

It was just installed Monday by Direct TV.

The screen just looks like it's zoomed in and the channel's logo that is ghosted in the bottom corner is almost in the center of the screen.... not sure what is going on. Just on the local HD channels. The local channels that are NOT HD look correct. Weird.

7 of 8 (122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2014 4:12:20 PM
(0)
Employee

does the guide and menus fit the entire screen? Or is the guide zoomed in as well?

Also just because the local channels are HD, it does not necessarily means that all the content is, specially syndicated shows tend to be on SD

does the guide and menus fit the entire screen? Or is the guide zoomed in as well?

Also just because the local channels are HD, it does not necessarily means that all the content is, specially syndicated shows tend to be on SD

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 8 (122 Views)