Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 17, 2014
12:21:12 PM
View profile
I would like to buy a hd reciever, all I have is a standard def. dish, will I be able to have hd with the old dish

I've had Direct tv since 2001 only buying the nfl Sunday Ticket. They call that "stand alone". Now I would like to upgrade to HD, if I buy a HD box will it work with the old Direct TV dish. I want to view in HD. I see some HD boxes on EBay stating the cards are included, I'm not sure if that will work or not. My thinking is I will have to buy another card from Direct tv?

thanks

I've had Direct tv since 2001 only buying the nfl Sunday Ticket. They call that "stand alone". Now I would like to upgrade to HD, if I buy a HD box will it work with the old Direct TV dish. I want to view in HD. I see some HD boxes on EBay stating the cards are included, I'm not sure if that will work or not. My thinking is I will have to buy another card from Direct tv?

thanks

I would like to buy a hd reciever, all I have is a standard def. dish, will I be able to have hd with the old dish

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2014 12:25:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No, you won't get any HD channels with that old dish.   The easiest and cheapest way to do this is to call DirecTV and order your HD equipment from them.  As a long time subscriber you might get a very sweet deal.  And they'll install the new dish, too.  Don't buy used stuff off of eBay.  Lots of those are stolen or not properly deactivated and DirecTV won't let you use it.  Don't take the risk.

No, you won't get any HD channels with that old dish.   The easiest and cheapest way to do this is to call DirecTV and order your HD equipment from them.  As a long time subscriber you might get a very sweet deal.  And they'll install the new dish, too.  Don't buy used stuff off of eBay.  Lots of those are stolen or not properly deactivated and DirecTV won't let you use it.  Don't take the risk.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I would like to buy a hd reciever, all I have is a standard def. dish, will I be able to have hd with the old dish

2 of 5 (20 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2014 12:50:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Many of the boxes on EBay give the serial numbers so that you can check them out, many of the people say they are owned boxes.

Many of the boxes on EBay give the serial numbers so that you can check them out, many of the people say they are owned boxes.

Re: I would like to buy a hd reciever, all I have is a standard def. dish, will I be able to have hd with the old dish

3 of 5 (20 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2014 1:15:19 PM
(0)
Professor

You need the RID number to call DTV to check them and most HD receivers are leased since all receivers made after 2006 are leased and few pay the the extra price to Own them.

You need the RID number to call DTV to check them and most HD receivers are leased since all receivers made after 2006 are leased and few pay the the extra price to Own them.

4 of 5 (20 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2014 1:41:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Why take the risk when DirecTV can probably offer you a sweet deal on an HD upgrade that would include the price of the dish with installation for way less than you could do it yourself?   Have you called and asked?

Why take the risk when DirecTV can probably offer you a sweet deal on an HD upgrade that would include the price of the dish with installation for way less than you could do it yourself?   Have you called and asked?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (20 Views)