Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Mar 12, 2014
11:17:08 AM
DirecTV with the basic HD receiver.

I plan to order DirecTV with the basic HD receiver.

Is there a brand name or model for this receiver?

Does this device include an RF remote control and what is the model number of that device?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ray

I plan to order DirecTV with the basic HD receiver.

Is there a brand name or model for this receiver?

Does this device include an RF remote control and what is the model number of that device?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ray

DirecTV with the basic HD receiver.

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 12:02:41 PM
(0)
Expert

The basic HD receiver (no DVR) comes in a number of model numbers and they are all similar in performance.  The latest model is a H25.  The remote is not necessarily RF capable but you might be able to order an RF model when you sign up.  Personally though, I would seriously consider getting a HD DVR instead.  New installs are basically free but the DVR would cost you an extra $10 per month, but will change your life in a positive way.  It will change "hurry up and eat, the news is coming on" to "relax and enjoy your dinner, the news is recording and we can watch at our convenience".

The basic HD receiver (no DVR) comes in a number of model numbers and they are all similar in performance.  The latest model is a H25.  The remote is not necessarily RF capable but you might be able to order an RF model when you sign up.  Personally though, I would seriously consider getting a HD DVR instead.  New installs are basically free but the DVR would cost you an extra $10 per month, but will change your life in a positive way.  It will change "hurry up and eat, the news is coming on" to "relax and enjoy your dinner, the news is recording and we can watch at our convenience".

Re: DirecTV with the basic HD receiver.

2 of 12 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 1:14:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

When the DirecTV installer comes to set up your new equipment, just be sure they provide you with a remote control with model number ending " R" or "RX", such as RC65R or RC65RX.   That "R" denotes "RF capable". 

When the DirecTV installer comes to set up your new equipment, just be sure they provide you with a remote control with model number ending " R" or "RX", such as RC65R or RC65RX.   That "R" denotes "RF capable". 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 12 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 1:44:18 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't see a need for a DVR, it just adds more stuff to watch when i don't have time as it is.

If i do decide on a DVR I'll buy one and avoid the $10/month;  I'll recover the cost in less than two years.

Ray

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't see a need for a DVR, it just adds more stuff to watch when i don't have time as it is.

If i do decide on a DVR I'll buy one and avoid the $10/month;  I'll recover the cost in less than two years.

Ray

4 of 12 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 1:59:48 PM
(0)
Professor

The only DVRs you can buy are SD and made before 2006 when DTV went to leased anything after that are leased and the price is an up front lease fee and if HD will require the the additional fees.

The only DVRs you can buy are SD and made before 2006 when DTV went to leased anything after that are leased and the price is an up front lease fee and if HD will require the the additional fees.

5 of 12 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 2:30:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

whether your own or lease the DVR, you still have to pay the $10.00 a month for the DVR service

whether your own or lease the DVR, you still have to pay the $10.00 a month for the DVR service

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 12 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 2:34:20 PM
(0)
Teacher

I've done a quick web search and found this device:

Hauppauge HD PVR High Definition Personal Video Recorder USB Port 

here:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CJu1meT4jb0CFSqXOgodeR0ASg&Item=N82E16815116030&nm_...

Are you saying I cannot use this to record a signal from the DirecTV HD Receiver?

Not that i would buy this device, I'd do extensive research before buying.  But this seems to do what i want.

Ray

I've done a quick web search and found this device:

Hauppauge HD PVR High Definition Personal Video Recorder USB Port 

here:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CJu1meT4jb0CFSqXOgodeR0ASg&Item=N82E16815116030&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Video+Devices+%26+TV+Tuners-_-N82E16815116030&ef_id=UyDSAwAAABVz13Yk:20140312213043:s

Are you saying I cannot use this to record a signal from the DirecTV HD Receiver?

Not that i would buy this device, I'd do extensive research before buying.  But this seems to do what i want.

Ray

7 of 12 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 2:36:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm still learning but I think DirectTV charges for the DVR because they treat it as a second device, which allows the user to watch one channel and record from another.  I don't need that functionality.   I am assuming the HD Receiver produces a normal HD signal, which I can route into any HD DVR.

Ray

I'm still learning but I think DirectTV charges for the DVR because they treat it as a second device, which allows the user to watch one channel and record from another.  I don't need that functionality.   I am assuming the HD Receiver produces a normal HD signal, which I can route into any HD DVR.

Ray

8 of 12 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 2:42:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Correct, but assuming that you can get an HDDVR that can capture the HD component signal from the DVR, you can only record what you watch, not two things at once.

Correct, but assuming that you can get an HDDVR that can capture the HD component signal from the DVR, you can only record what you watch, not two things at once.

9 of 12 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 4:57:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You won't find many external digital video recorders that can record HiDef from external components, like a DirecTV Receiver.   Most of them are HD video capture cards that you must use with a connected PC.

You won't find many external digital video recorders that can record HiDef from external components, like a DirecTV Receiver.   Most of them are HD video capture cards that you must use with a connected PC.

10 of 12 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 1:43:55 PM
(0)
Professor

That should work  red/white yellow is a composite input and the svideo are both SD I just saw the back red green blue inputs.

The red/white red green blue component cable outputs are HD.

That should work  red/white yellow is a composite input and the svideo are both SD I just saw the back red green blue inputs.

The red/white red green blue component cable outputs are HD.

11 of 12 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 3:21:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Sure, that can work.  But not nearly as convenient as built-in DVR with your DirecTV Receiver.   Controlling channel changes at the right times to the correct channels is often flaky with these PC-card DVRs.  

Sure, that can work.  But not nearly as convenient as built-in DVR with your DirecTV Receiver.   Controlling channel changes at the right times to the correct channels is often flaky with these PC-card DVRs.  

12 of 12 (4 Views)