Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Jan 18, 2014
12:06:56 PM
775 message can't detect swim. Which way is the swim supposed to be connected?

I recently connected a HD receiver to my HD TV.  I have a slimline satellite dish.  I purchased a PI as I was told,  but I have no instructions as to which way it should be connected. 

I recently connected a HD receiver to my HD TV.  I have a slimline satellite dish.  I purchased a PI as I was told,  but I have no instructions as to which way it should be connected. 

775 message can't detect swim. Which way is the swim supposed to be connected?

29 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(29)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 12:21:49 PM
(0)
Professor

The power inserter connects to the red power pass though port on the SWM splitter or if that is the only receiver you have then the coax from the dish connects to the "TO SWM" port and the other port goes to your receiver.

The power inserter connects to the red power pass though port on the SWM splitter or if that is the only receiver you have then the coax from the dish connects to the "TO SWM" port and the other port goes to your receiver.

Re: 775 message can't detect swim. Which way is the swim supposed to be connected?

2 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 12:25:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Does your LNB has one or four outputs?

Does your LNB has one or four outputs?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 775 message can't detect swim. Which way is the swim supposed to be connected?

3 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 12:33:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

Please forgive ahead of time.  I am retired and my husband is no help, but I do pretty much all our electronic stuff.  I have one wire coming from the LNB.  I have a place up in the attic where a connection of the coax cable was made.  I bought a SWiM and I put it in that location, but not exactly sure which way it goes as what points to the receiver and what goes toward the dish. 

I had my HD receiver working but just not in HD.  I had chosen round dish and multi switch.  But my dish is oval and has slimline written on it. Do I need to change the dish set up?

Please forgive ahead of time.  I am retired and my husband is no help, but I do pretty much all our electronic stuff.  I have one wire coming from the LNB.  I have a place up in the attic where a connection of the coax cable was made.  I bought a SWiM and I put it in that location, but not exactly sure which way it goes as what points to the receiver and what goes toward the dish. 

I had my HD receiver working but just not in HD.  I had chosen round dish and multi switch.  But my dish is oval and has slimline written on it. Do I need to change the dish set up?

4 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 12:43:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You need to answer my question if you want accurate advice.  Remove the LNB and see if it has one or four connectors.

You need to answer my question if you want accurate advice.  Remove the LNB and see if it has one or four connectors.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 12:53:17 PM
(0)
Teacher

ok, my son is driving over here to help me.  He will have to climb up there and remove it.  From what I can see , there are three of those white round things.  One of them looks like it has a hood over it. But there is only one wire coming from there. Does that help any?   

ok, my son is driving over here to help me.  He will have to climb up there and remove it.  From what I can see , there are three of those white round things.  One of them looks like it has a hood over it. But there is only one wire coming from there. Does that help any?   

6 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 1:04:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Unfortunately it does not.  You could have a legacy 4 port LNB with just one cable coming down

Unfortunately it does not.  You could have a legacy 4 port LNB with just one cable coming down

7 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 1:10:55 PM
(0)
Teacher

ok,   as soon as he arrives I will get him  to climb up so he can tell me. 

ok,   as soon as he arrives I will get him  to climb up so he can tell me. 

8 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 1:38:17 PM
(0)
Teacher

ok, he climbed up and took it off to look.  It has 4 connectors and the wire is connected to the second one.

ok, he climbed up and took it off to look.  It has 4 connectors and the wire is connected to the second one.

9 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 1:59:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

He connected the PI in the attic with the Swim going toward the dish and the ird it toward the receiver.  We are now getting a 771 Error. What do you suggest we do or do we have the PI connected wrong?

He connected the PI in the attic with the Swim going toward the dish and the ird it toward the receiver.  We are now getting a 771 Error. What do you suggest we do or do we have the PI connected wrong?

10 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:01:52 PM
(0)
Professor

You have a standard LNB that doesn't need the power inserter you need to rerun sat set up select multiswitch first then the dish type if there is only 1 knob is is a 3 LNB if 3 it is a 5 LNB.

You cannot use any splitters with a standard LNB you need to run separate coaxes to each tuner.

You have a standard LNB that doesn't need the power inserter you need to rerun sat set up select multiswitch first then the dish type if there is only 1 knob is is a 3 LNB if 3 it is a 5 LNB.

You cannot use any splitters with a standard LNB you need to run separate coaxes to each tuner.

11 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:03:21 PM
(0)
Expert

In that case put the Power Inserter away, you cannot use it with your dish.  Re run the satellite setup and when you get to dish type, select the Slimline 5 (or SL5) option and Multiswitch and that will give you HD.  Be sure you set the display to "hide SD channels"

In that case put the Power Inserter away, you cannot use it with your dish.  Re run the satellite setup and when you get to dish type, select the Slimline 5 (or SL5) option and Multiswitch and that will give you HD.  Be sure you set the display to "hide SD channels"

12 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:05:00 PM
(0)
Teacher

What do you mean by knob?  Those white things on the end of the arm?

What do you mean by knob?  Those white things on the end of the arm?

13 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:06:05 PM
(0)
Professor

Yes

Yes

14 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:11:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

What model Receiver did you get?  Look for model number on the rear panel, or behind the front panel access card door. 

Since you do not have a SWM dish, your Receiver may require a "BBC Module" in order to receive the HD channels with that dish.  It depends on what model Receiver you have.

Also, if the HD Receiver is an H25 model, then you cannot use with that dish.  The H25 only works with a SWM setup.

What model Receiver did you get?  Look for model number on the rear panel, or behind the front panel access card door. 

Since you do not have a SWM dish, your Receiver may require a "BBC Module" in order to receive the HD channels with that dish.  It depends on what model Receiver you have.

Also, if the HD Receiver is an H25 model, then you cannot use with that dish.  The H25 only works with a SWM setup.

15 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:13:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

He is going back up in the attic to remove the PI

I just went to dish set up and chose "Slimline 5"  and multiswitch.

I have sojme red X in boxes on the installation status.  and it says Errors foun on Tuner 1

He is going back up in the attic to remove the PI

I just went to dish set up and chose "Slimline 5"  and multiswitch.

I have sojme red X in boxes on the installation status.  and it says Errors foun on Tuner 1

16 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:14:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Please see my recent post.  We need to know more information about your Receiver model.

Please see my recent post.  We need to know more information about your Receiver model.

17 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:14:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

My receiver has H24 on it.

My receiver has H24 on it.

18 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:15:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

H24-100

H24-100

19 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:16:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The H24 HD Receiver will require a B-Band Converter (BBC)  model in order to Receiver HD channels.  Call DirecTV and they'll send you one.   In the meantime, you'll only receive SD channels. 

I'm curious, though .... What model Receiver did your H24 replace?  You already had an HD dish, but no HD Receivers or DVRs?

The H24 HD Receiver will require a B-Band Converter (BBC)  model in order to Receiver HD channels.  Call DirecTV and they'll send you one.   In the meantime, you'll only receive SD channels. 

I'm curious, though .... What model Receiver did your H24 replace?  You already had an HD dish, but no HD Receivers or DVRs?

20 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:21:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

I had an old one that wasn't HD.  I have called Direct to exchange my old ones with new HD, but they want to charge me for the receivers or pay intallion for Genie.  I don't want Genie.  This is an HD receiver that i had at home.  I am now back at the Lake House trying to get HD to work with my new HD tv that I got for Christmas. 

I had an old one that wasn't HD.  I have called Direct to exchange my old ones with new HD, but they want to charge me for the receivers or pay intallion for Genie.  I don't want Genie.  This is an HD receiver that i had at home.  I am now back at the Lake House trying to get HD to work with my new HD tv that I got for Christmas. 

21 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:22:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

What is B-Band Converter and where does it connect?

What is B-Band Converter and where does it connect?

22 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:30:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The BBC goes inline between the coax and the dish

The BBC goes inline between the coax and the dish

23 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:35:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm confused.  It goes at the end of the LNB?  The coax starts there. It runs into the house and there is a connector in the attic, where I assume they original owners ran out of cable and just added more.  It coax continues on to the back of the receiver.   I'm not sure I understand because I see the coax starting at the LNB. Please explain again?

I'm confused.  It goes at the end of the LNB?  The coax starts there. It runs into the house and there is a connector in the attic, where I assume they original owners ran out of cable and just added more.  It coax continues on to the back of the receiver.   I'm not sure I understand because I see the coax starting at the LNB. Please explain again?

24 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 3:07:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The BBC module connects into the satellite coax cable, right where the cable connects to the SAT INPUT on your HD Receiver. 

The BBC module connects into the satellite coax cable, right where the cable connects to the SAT INPUT on your HD Receiver. 

25 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 3:11:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Sorry, I should have said "The BBC goes inline between the receiver and the coax from the dish

Sorry, I should have said "The BBC goes inline between the receiver and the coax from the dish

26 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 3:30:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

ok, now, I understand.  Once I install this BBC thing, will I need to run dish set up again or just restart by pressing the red button on the receiver.? Also, do you know if they charge anything for this BBC thing?

ok, now, I understand.  Once I install this BBC thing, will I need to run dish set up again or just restart by pressing the red button on the receiver.? Also, do you know if they charge anything for this BBC thing?

27 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 3:38:49 PM
(0)
Professor

No once you have it set up you don't need to rerun it or do a red button reset when you get the BBC and there is no charge for it.

No once you have it set up you don't need to rerun it or do a red button reset when you get the BBC and there is no charge for it.

28 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 4:13:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

thank you

thank you

29 of 30 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 7:07:28 PM
(0)
Professor

Red Xs mean that the signal doesn't meet DTV requirements and the dish needs aligning unless they are on the HD sats until you get the BBC.

Red Xs mean that the signal doesn't meet DTV requirements and the dish needs aligning unless they are on the HD sats until you get the BBC.

30 of 30 (243 Views)