Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
FrancescaM's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 24th, 2015 2:01 PM

Closed

Why does my GoPhone refill date change?

I am perturbed, to say the least.  I began GO Phone service with AT&T a few years ago, with my payment being due on the 1st of the month.  I realized early on that if payment is not already received by the 1st, service is immediately terminated. Fair enough.  So, in an effort to avoid my service being interrupted, I paid a day early, which then began a new 30 day billing cycle.  OK, so say it was the 31st when I paid, my next rate plan change is now the 31st.  Again, I pay on the 30th to avoid service being interrupted on the morning of the 31st; now the billing cycle is the 30th.  And so on and so on, until this month where my payment date was 8/23.  This morning when I woke, my service was, of course interrupted. I attempted to visit an AT&T store on 8/23, it was too crowded and there was no parking.  I figured I'd take care of it today.  Nope, service was interrupted.  So, I call, make the payment, and ask the million dollar question--why does my payment day keep moving up by one day each month when I attempt to pay early so my service is not interrupted.  I got a line of {Inappropriate content removed} about the 30 days in the billing cycle.  The text message confirming my payment states the next payment is due 9/22.  My question--what ever happened to my payment being due on the 1st?  I'm certain if I decided to stay with AT&T (yes, this is a deal breaker for me--I feel I am being cheated out of days of service I have already paid for and being penalized for attempting to pay a day early to avoid service interruption) my payment day would eventually keep working backward until I get to the first of the month again.  Needless to say, I'm shopping around today to see whether I can get a more stable billing date through Sprint, T-Mobile or Cricket.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hello there @FrancescaM,

I understand that you have concerns with expiration dates on your GoPhone Account; I would be happy to assist you with this matter!

When you refill your account, the expiration date will be dependent on the refill amount.  Refill amounts: $10 to $24 refill cards expire in 30 days, $25 to $99 cards expire in 90 days, and $100 and higher cards expire in 1 year. 

The package you add to your monthly plan is good for 30 days (as long as your GoPhone account balance has not expired).  Please note: The monthly package balance rolls over if it’s renewed before the package expiration date.

You mentioned that you went to an AT&T Retail store to manage your account, however, the wait time was longer than desired.  I would like to share with you that our website allows you to schedule appointments to avoid the wait. From www.att.com you can click on the link “Store Locations & Appointments” (upper right-hand corner) to enter in your ZIP code to find the AT&T store nearest to you!

Thank you,

Charise

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

If this were the case then why is it in February, days are not added back the account? There is only 28 days inthe billing cycle!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have the same issue with my account. I started paying on the 23rd, and now my payment is up to the 18th. Also, I'm on autopay. I have only had an account for 5 or 6 months. The 30 day period is a bit silly. I had Virgin Mobile for years and always had the same payment date.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have been an AT&T user for many years, but I'm looking for another provider. Last month my prepaid bill was due on Oct.4th and I added money to my account on Oct. 4th. Now come Nov. 1st my bill is due. That is exactly 28 days in between billing cycles. If I don't pay my bill before or on the 1st, I lose service on the 2nd, 29 days AFTER i paid my last bill. AT&T prepaid billing cycle IS NOT 30 days, its only 28 days and on the 29th day you lose your service. By charging their prepaid customers every 28 days and shutting of their service on the 29th day, AT&T is actually able to charge customers for 13 months in a calendar year instead of 12. Every 28 days for 12 months comes out to 336 days for a year. Every 28 days for 13 months is 364 days for a year. Maybe I'm just stupid but that seems like a rip off to me.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@brianmad65 Prepaid "monthly" plans are 30 days, period.  Not 29, not 28, 30. There has to be some other explanation for your issue. Are you on a monthly (30 day) plan or a pay per use plan? If on a monthly plan and if your plan started on Oct 4, it expires on Nov 2. If you are on autopay, it is common for autopay to refill a day early so autopay taking your payment on Nov 1 is normal. That payment will sit as a credit on your account until it is actually used for the new plan, which should occur right at midnight on Nov 2.

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I see the same thing. AT&T Says they bill you every 30 Days so they can play with the date and hope you don't notice that by the end of the year, they get an extra monthly payment out of you. Last month it was 25 days, This month, it's 28 Days.

Also, If you have a prepaid phone that only charges you for the day if you use the phone, ( I had this a few years ago) They re-route wrong numbers to you so you will answer the phone and they can charge you for the day.

Phone company's are right up there with insurance companys, Banks, and Lawyers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.