Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Wednesday, September 14th, 2016 2:50 PM

When Will Prepaid/GoPhone Allow for WiFi Calling?

I recently bought a iPhone 6E, which is WiFi calling-ready. However, because I went with a prepaid account, it doesn't appear I can enable WiFi calling. This is disappointing since the AT&T sales person said there is no difference in prepaid vs. postpaid accounts in terms of service capabilities, data speeds, etc. This apparently was not true. So now I am wondering whether AT&T is planning to permit WiFi calling on prepaid accounts sometime soon, or am I going to already have to bail out of the GoPhone service and seek something else.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@jim101  Gophone is the bargain priced service.  Typically 20-30 % cheaper than the comparable postpaid plan.   HD voice, and wifi calling are just 2 of the features Gophone doesn't include.   

I am on postpaid and have a work and personal phone.  GS6 from ATT, with wifi calling and until recently a Nexus 6p.  The 6p had neither HD voice or wifi calling and performed equal to the GS6 without these features.   A superior phone may make a difference no matter what service you have.

These are apps like Google Duo which make video calls over wifi with your existing phone number and google Allo for text.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Hello everyone I am new to the GoPhone and I read everything here. I was with Metro PCS and had one of their basic phones that cost $100 it had Wi-Fi calling fast internet and decent reception for the price. Used it for work and i'm on the road everyday and eventually needed a better phone. Better mapping to be exact. I couldn't spend the $650 for a new Samsung at the store so I bought a AT&T branded... carrier un locked new Samsung s7 for 300 on Craigslist.. I tried it with Metro and the reception sucks so I went to go get a GoPhone chip because they actually had a decent price with the rollover gigabytes and I noticed the reception sucks too I thought it was a Metro but it was also AT&T. Really it has to be the phone. the reason I'm even mentioning any of this is because I have a branded AT&T phone AT&T service and I still can't use Wi-Fi calling. So I'm not sure if I misunderstood somebody here but I think I read that it will work on a branded AT&T phone which I'm here to say does not work I have a brand new phone Samsung S7 and I can't use Wi-Fi calling and not only that this phone sucks for reception. So I think their way of saying water resistant really means no f****** reception and no Wi-Fi calling if you're on a go plan or any other plan because obviously the Metro chip wouldn't let me use Wi-Fi calling you on a branded phone. anyways I never write anything on these kind of things but I had to say something. It seems like no matter where I go with this unlocked branded phone I'm going to get s*** reception. And I've heard of other people having same issues with Samsung. No wonder people are getting rid of them for cheap

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

Has it occurred to you, you got ripped off with a faulty phone?  While it won't use wifi calling on Gophone, the reception problem makes me think it was defective.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

So if it is likely that AT&T will restrict WiFi Calling to postpaid it would be a training opportunity for sales personnel so customers can make an informed decision. It appears AT&T would prefer the sales personnel continue to spread misinformation to sign up more prepays.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

"HD-voice compatability is a must for utilizing wifi calling, pre-paid account holders are not authorized hd-voice service?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

Its to bad they dont offer HD voice and WiFI calling on the go phone plan with an iphone.Since I was told that ATT has the 20 dollar "device fee" for phones not purchased at ATT (branded). I have a another phone on another carrier that has WiFi calling thats also not purchased from their store( unbranded) .I will probably in the near furture switch my other phone to them. That carrier doesnt have the 20 dollar "device fee" or any hidden charges and works fine.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

30% cheaper? This is quite funny and it makes me wonder that att has any loyal customers, or stock holders @ all

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@David18 wrote:

Its to bad they dont offer HD voice and WiFI calling on the go phone plan with an iphone.Since I was told that ATT has the 20 dollar "device fee" for phones not purchased at ATT (branded). I have a another phone on another carrier that has WiFi calling thats also not purchased from their store( unbranded) .I will probably in the near furture switch my other phone to them. That carrier doesnt have the 20 dollar "device fee" or any hidden charges and works fine.

@David18   Don't know what you were told, but it's wrong.  I have all 4 non branded phones and there is no extra fee.  In fact, it costs more to purchase a phone from ATT because they charge a one time $20 upgrade fee.   

You might be referring to the line fee.  The "line fee " is your phone number.  This fee is charged by every carrier and every plan.  The line fee is different based on what is included.  

On gophone, your line (phone number) fee includes talk text and data.

on the unlimited plan the line fee includes your data plan and access to the shared unlimited talk and text.   On the shared data plan, the line fee includes unlimited talk and text and access to the shared data plan.  

All cellular devices have a line fee of some kind.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

Overall, ATT is falling behind on services all other carriers are allowing.  Even Verizon has HD voice and full services for non carrier branded phones.  

Im unlikely to change because I can't get the price I have now if I give up this plan.  But I will continue to make a fuss on the subject.  

Its a shame that employees don't know enough about the products and services to inform customers correctly.   

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@David18 wrote:

What fee is that? Who told you that? (Their competition?)

That is incorrect. (Just in case my rhetorical questions weren't clear)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.