Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
prlloyd's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, October 3rd, 2011 9:46 AM

Using Mobile Broadband Modem on Pre-paid

I am travelling to Atlanta from overseas.

I have got a 3G 2100/900 MHz modem will this modem work on AT&T pre-paid wirelss broadband on the 3G network and can I purchase a pre-paid SIM card from an AT&T store hen I arrive for this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

182 Messages

12 years ago

@prlloyd wrote:

I am travelling to Atlanta from overseas.

I have got a 3G 2100/900 MHz modem will this modem work on AT&T pre-paid wirelss broadband on the 3G network and can I purchase a pre-paid SIM card from an AT&T store hen I arrive for this?

No, prlloyd.  AT&T UMTS/HSPA cellular-data bands are Band II (1900MHz) and Band V (850MHz).  Not cvompatible with AT&T's air interface with your modem, regardless of brand.

The 2100MHz and 900 MHz bands on  your modem only work in Europe/Asia/Oceania and some parts of Africa.

You can buy data-only metered service (but with a different compatible modem) for data-only devices on a monthly schedule without a contract on here: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/data-connect-plans.jsp

Hope that helps.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Are you referring to a mi-fi device or an acutal modem? It would be great if you could provide the model/name of the device you're asking about. 

AT&T doesn't offer pre-paid plans for mi-fi devices. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

It's just an Hauawei modem 900/2100 mhz not sure the model number I am guessing I can buy a pre-paid sim card and slot it into that provided that's the frequency's your network operares on?

Scholar

• 

182 Messages

12 years ago

@prlloyd wrote:

It's just an Hauawei modem 900/2100 mhz not sure the model number I am guessing I can buy a pre-paid sim card and slot it into that provided that's the frequency's your network operares on?

Thanks for the acknowledgment, prlloyd.

Your Huawei USB modem is in here http://www.3gmodem.com.hk/Huawei/E160E.html  (or similar)  It does not matter.  It cannot be used on the AT&T network as a prepaid (no contract) device, even if the UMTS frequencies were correct,.

Instead, you can get a tablet that has UTMS/HSDPA 850/1900MHz cellular-data support.  Then you can get a "no commitment" DataConnect Plan in here http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/data-connect-plans.jsp

Although AT&T has 3G USB modems, they are only allowed onto the network with a two-year service commitment.  You cannot have cellular-data on tethered modems without a contract.  *sigh*

But tablets are a different ball of wax and do allow no-commitment cellular data.

This is the best you can do under AT&T.

Scholar

• 

182 Messages

12 years ago

A final comment:  I believe that you will do better with Verizon Wireless.

They do offer no-commitment cellular data on 3G/4G LTE USB modems in here http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plans/?page=mobileBroadband

And you can shop for compatible 4G/LTE USB modems in here http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneOverviewByDevice&deviceCategoryId=15

There is no overriding reason to use GSM technology as the device will be throw-away once you leave the US.  This holds true for either AT&T or Verizon.  And AT&T simply does not have the no-commitment data-plan for broadband modems.

Scholar

• 

346 Messages

12 years ago

A better option might be Sprint/Virgin Mobile's Broadband2Go. They have the following plans available:

• $10/10 days/100MB
  • $20/1 month/500MB
  • $50/1 month/Unlimited

Alas, you're going to need to buy a device. I believe the ZTE Peel 3200 ($29) can act as a wi-fi hotspot. Caveat, you can only use it with the $20/500MB plan.

It might be worth checking if T-Mobile supports 3G if you only have the 2100MHz band. I believe their 3G network works on 1700/2100.

Scholar

• 

182 Messages

12 years ago

@hnzw_rui wrote:

A better option might be Sprint/Virgin Mobile's Broadband2Go. They have the following plans available:

• $10/10 days/100MB
  • $20/1 month/500MB
  • $50/1 month/Unlimited

Alas, you're going to need to buy a device. I believe the ZTE Peel 3200 ($29) can act as a wi-fi hotspot. Caveat, you can only use it with the $20/500MB plan.

It might be worth checking if T-Mobile supports 3G if you only have the 2100MHz band. I believe their 3G network works on 1700/2100.

hnzw_rui,

Yes, you are right, I did not check on Sprint.  It may be a good option as he is going to Atlanta.  Regardless, Verizon or Sprint, my opinion is that he should buy a broadband modem retailed and supported by the carrier as an all-in-one package.  No sense dickering with pieces and parts when you are only for a short visit.

And, T-Mobile cannot use his modem.  Definitely, not with the "2100MHz" band (that is the IMT Band I)

T-Mobile uses Band IV AWS where 1700MHz is downstream and 2100 MHz is upstream.  The 2100MHz band mentioned on the Huawei is entirely a different animal, although people confuse it with T-Mobile's AWS upstream just because it says "2100MHz".

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.