Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
ladiesman257's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, April 9th, 2014 2:06 PM

Traveling to the states, can I use a prepaid plan with my current phone? Residing in Asia.

Hi all, I will be taking a trip to the states for roughly a month. I currently reside in Asia. I want to be able to use my own smart phone while state side. I have heard about people buying sim cards off ebay, then going to an ATT store and buying a prepaid plan. How exactly does this work? Do I need an unlocked phone? I know that unlocked phones are illegal in the US, but legal if they were unlocked overseas. 

I have no experience in this area, guidance is needed : )  I'd rather use my own phone than buying a go-phone.  

Thanks in advance. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

10 years ago

You can go into any at&t retail store or pretty much any convineince store here in the us and purchase a prepaid phone for 30-100+ dollars , most have a 25.00 card with purchase and in 5 minutes you have a working cell phone, quite simple

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Where you will stay in USA ?? As you know USA is a big country.Some area got no mobile coverage.
You can bring your unlocked phone and use in USA with AT&T. Basic need GSM 850/1900.

Most Smart phones brought in Asia will work with 3G or H++ with data.You only need to play around with the APN setting.

Don't waste money buying sim cards off ebay ,they are free from any Corp. store of AT&T.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.