Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
geney's profile

Explorer

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, December 14th, 2013 4:42 PM

Smartphone and 10 cent per minute plan

I am currently on the 10 cent per minute plan with a flip phone. I would like to purchase an at&t radiant z740, and transfer my sim card into it to use for voice and wifi only. No Data.  I had a chat session with an at&t rep, who insists that smartphones cannot be used with that plan. She says I can try it but it is not sanctioned by at&t.

I dont want to spend the money on the phone only to be shut down by at&t for violating the terms of use. Can anyone (preferably someone from at&t) tell me if using a smartphone an the 10 cent per minute plan violates at&t guidelines. Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@geney wrote:

I am currently on the 10 cent per minute plan with a flip phone. I would like to purchase an at&t radiant z740, and transfer my sim card into it to use for voice and wifi only. No Data.  I had a chat session with an at&t rep, who insists that smartphones cannot be used with that plan. She says I can try it but it is not sanctioned by at&t.

I dont want to spend the money on the phone only to be shut down by at&t for violating the terms of use. Can anyone (preferably someone from at&t) tell me if using a smartphone an the 10 cent per minute plan violates at&t guidelines. Thanks

Yes, you can certainly do this "legally." The rep you spoke to was right, you can do it but it is not encouraged by AT&T to do so. This past July I activated an iPhone 4 on the $0.10 per minute plan for a family member and the individual has not had any problems/discrepancies with the rate plan, service, etc.

Be aware that you will have to either get a new SIM card or trim your existing one to fit the smaller SIM slot of the Radiant. You can do this by going to an AT&T corporate store or purchasing a microSIM cutter (less than $5 on eBay). 

Good luck! 

Scholar

• 

110 Messages

10 years ago

Yes you can use the 10c/ min on a smartphone. Dial 611 on your handset , press 6 then 0 or say customer service. Get the IMEI number of the radiant(dial *#06# on handset) and simcard number of new sim(usually starts with 8901) give it to the rep and tell them to update it on your account. Once the change is being processed the call will get disconnected, prepare an alternate line for the att rep to call you.

Scholar

• 

110 Messages

10 years ago

Just one thing Wild Banchi, you can change rate plan by dialing 611. say Rate plan or pres 3. But when you dial 611 it would detect that you're using a smartphone. It wont give you the 10c plan. The alternative is transfer your sim card to a basic phone if you have sim adaptor so the system would give out the plan. BUT its much faster to call CS haha! But you know just an alternative
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.