Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
fuzzyfuzball's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, January 3rd, 2009 4:27 AM

Closed

Roaming in Canada

I live in Canada and I have recently (Less then a month ago) bought a PayGo phone on the At&T network to use during my vacation to New York so I could call my family and friends. After my vacation, I still had a usable amount of money. When I came back to Canada, the phone didn't work because of the lack of signal. When one of my family members brings their non-PayGo phone back to Canada, it automatically switches to Rogers. Does anybody know how to use the roaming feature on my phone? (It's a Nokia 2610.)

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

15 years ago

@fuzzyfuzball wrote:

I live in Canada and I have recently (Less then a month ago) bought a PayGo phone on the At&T network to use during my vacation to New York so I could call my family and friends. After my vacation, I still had a usable amount of money. When I came back to Canada, the phone didn't work because of the lack of signal. When one of my family members brings their non-PayGo phone back to Canada, it automatically switches to Rogers. Does anybody know how to use the roaming feature on my phone? (It's a Nokia 2610.)

AT&T GoPhone accounts have no international roaming except in Mexico. If you have still some money left, you can try selling the SIM on eBay to recoup some of it if you don't plan to come to US any time soon.

Guru

• 

64 Messages

15 years ago

Note that T-mobile prepaid SIMs do allow roaming in Canada. If you're buying a prepaid to use in the U.S., and want it to be functional back in Canada, T-mobile may be a good choice. 

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

15 years ago

AT&T GoPhone accounts have no international roaming except in Mexico. If you have still some money left, you can try selling the SIM on eBay to recoup some of it if you don't plan to come to US any time soon.
have you heard it expressed anywhere that at&t may eventually consider adding roaming in canada for it's prepaid customers, as well??  i live close to canada, and would love to be able to use my phone to call the u.s. while i am there visiting family ... calling from mexico serves me no purpose, but from canada would ... just wondering ...

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

15 years ago

@4moonglow wrote:

have you heard it expressed anywhere that at&t may eventually consider adding roaming in canada for it's prepaid customers, as well??  i live close to canada, and would love to be able to use my phone to call the u.s. while i am there visiting family ... calling from mexico serves me no purpose, but from canada would ... just wondering ...

No, I haven't but it really doesn't mean anything. I have no insider info from AT&T marketing department which would most likely be the one to make the call.

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

15 years ago

this leads me to one other question ... in the US, if a phone becomes inactive, i believe it can still be used for 911, for emergencies ... i have also read that the same is true in Canada ... so, if someone from the US travels to Canada, while their phone may not work to make regular calls, would it still be able to be used to dial 911 in case of an emergency??  thanks ...

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

15 years ago

4moonglow wrote:

this leads me to one other question ... in the US, if a phone becomes inactive, i believe it can still be used for 911, for emergencies ... i have also read that the same is true in Canada ... so, if someone from the US travels to Canada, while their phone may not work to make regular calls, would it still be able to be used to dial 911 in case of an emergency??  thanks ...

Yes. GSM phones will attempt an emergency call regardless of whether or not regular calls are allowed. Some phones will even display “Emergency calls only” in this situation.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.