Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)

Contributor

Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)

Hi

 

I have an ATT GoPhone number for my occasional trips to the US. My account summary is as follows:

 

 

 

Main Account Balance

$35.68

Account Status

Active 

Account Balance Expiration Date

02/28/2014 

Cancel Date

04/29/2014 

Rate Plan

$50 Monthly Unlimited Plan 

Rate Plan Status

Expired

Rate Plan Expiration Date

05/19/2013 

 

 

 

My questions are:

 

1. By when do I have to refill my account so that I can continue with the same number and rate plan?  And with how many dollars? 

 

2. My next trip to the US will not be for another 6 to 8 months at least, in the meantime, do I have to keep refilling my account with 50 bucks every month/ few months? Is there a way to maintain the same number that allows me to re-filI only when required? 

 

My main concern is maintaining the same number. 

 

I have read most of the literature available on the forum/ ATT website regarding this, but wasn't able to figure out a definite answer.

 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 32 (38,927 Views)
Master

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)

[ Edited ]

LG_21 wrote:
@ATTDmitriyCM That was what i was wondering about, if the balance gets to $0 then it would be closed in 60 days. Thats the problem of the lady above, she has $50 monthly plan. After 2 months it would take all of the $100 in her account balance, then it would start the grace period of 60 days, soon it will close. Thats just 5 months. The lady said she wont be back in the US for 6-8 months. When she will be back lo and behold her accounts closed. I was also thinking of the answer which is switching to .10c/m plan but i was not so sure then, but i think that's the best thing to do.

So for example given she changes to .10c/min plan and when its expiration date of 1 yr comes, and the $100 still remains intact. If she decides to refill for the minimum which is $10 to save the $100, then it would total $110 roll-over right? So will the expiry be good again for another full year? because it says in the at&t website the new expiration date will apply to all money in the account, (My understanding is the total amount) but i'm not so sure that is what it meant. Can you please shed light on this. Thank you

If she refills with only $10, she will receive the new expiration timeframe that is associated with that refill amount (it's 30 days I believe for a $10 refill).  The entire $110 account balance will roll over if she refills before the original balance expires, but she will only receive the additional time associated with the refill amount.  So at the end of the second expiration period she would have to refill again to keep the account balance alive.

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 16 of 32 (33,507 Views)
Contributor

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)

 

Great posts, very helpful to me as well... Thank you everyone so far!

- I'd love to confirm 2 points:

 

- Say I have put $130 on Sept 1st 2013, used up 2 months of prepaid monthly usage (at $60/month) by Nov 1st, switched to a per minute plan on Nov 1st  before going out of the country,  and kept the remaining $10  (non $0 balance) on my account:

Could you confirm that I then would be able to keep my cell number until Aug 31 2014 ?

 

- On my account summary there are several dates: "account balance expiration date" , " cancel date" and "rate plan expiration date": which one is associated with my phone number expiration?

 

many thanks

Best

LA

Message 17 of 32 (33,419 Views)
Master

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)


ptitelaure wrote:

 

Great posts, very helpful to me as well... Thank you everyone so far!

- I'd love to confirm 2 points:

 

- Say I have put $130 on Sept 1st 2013, used up 2 months of prepaid monthly usage (at $60/month) by Nov 1st, switched to a per minute plan on Nov 1st  before going out of the country,  and kept the remaining $10  (non $0 balance) on my account:

Could you confirm that I then would be able to keep my cell number until Aug 31 2014 ?

 

- On my account summary there are several dates: "account balance expiration date" , " cancel date" and "rate plan expiration date": which one is associated with my phone number expiration?

 

many thanks

Best

LA


I don't have access to a prepaid account summary at the moment, but it should be the "cancel date" - is that the date that is furthest out?  The "rate plan expiration date" is going to be the date associated with your current month's monthly rate plan payment, the "account balance expiration date" is the date associated with your last refill - so it may extend beyond the rate plan expiration date depending on the timing/size of your last account refill; and the "cancel date" should be 60 days beyond the account balance expiration date.

 

So yes, given the scenario you present, your account will remain active until 8.31.2014, assuming you made a $100 refill on 9.1.13.  And the cancel date that should be reflected on your summary would be 10.30.14 (60 days after account balance expiration).  If that is not what your summary indicates, I would contact customer service. 

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 18 of 32 (33,367 Views)
Contributor

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)

Hi

 

Thanks Doug

Unfortunately the cancel date shows nov 2014... although I called customer service yesterday...

What's the best way to reach customer service btw? 611 makes it very hard to have an operator on the line...

 

thank you..

Laure

Message 19 of 32 (33,322 Views)
Master

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)


ptitelaure wrote:

 

What's the best way to reach customer service btw? 611 makes it very hard to have an operator on the line..


You can, in fact, reach a live customer service representative by dialing 611. When you get to the main menu, say "customer service." Ignore all of the other automated voice prompts and keep repeating "customer service." The system will eventually give up and transfer your call to a CSR that should be able to help you with your inquiry. 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 20 of 32 (33,316 Views)
Master

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)


ptitelaure wrote:

Hi

 

Thanks Doug

Unfortunately the cancel date shows nov 2014... although I called customer service yesterday...

What's the best way to reach customer service btw? 611 makes it very hard to have an operator on the line...

 

thank you..

Laure


Hopefully a member who is currently using at&t's prepaid service can confirm, but the November date may actually be correct since you say you added $130 on 9.1.13.  If you made your refills as a $100 refill (365 day expiration period) and two $15 refills (30 day expiration period).  The $100 would take you to the end of August 2014, and I believe at&t may tack the new refill period on to the end of the existing one if you refill prior to the current period end.  (It used to be that wasn't the case, so you needed to refill right before an existing period was getting ready to expire to get the maximum benefit of the new refill period.)  If I'm correct about that, then the additional $15 refills would take you to 9.30.14, and then I would expect the account cancellation date to be 11.29.14.

 

Customer service should be able to confirm/clarify, and I would keep an eye on the information within your on-line account as well.  One thing that has bit me before with prepaid service is the number of days - when at&t says 30 days, they mean 30 days, not one month, which is important when the period extends over a 31 day month. Smiley Happy

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 21 of 32 (33,275 Views)
Scholar

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)

@hme83    As far as i know his $130 would still have an expiration date of 365 days. Your last refill expiration would not take effect if the current expiration is longer.  W/c in his case the last $15 refill good for 30 days could not beat the $100 good for 365 days. Not unless he's gonna refill days before the expiration date or much better a day before  to maximize the next expiry period.

Message 22 of 32 (33,160 Views)
Master

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)


LG_21 wrote:

@hme83    As far as i know his $130 would still have an expiration date of 365 days. Your last refill expiration would not take effect if the current expiration is longer.  W/c in his case the last $15 refill good for 30 days could not beat the $100 good for 365 days. Not unless he's gonna refill days before the expiration date or much better a day before  to maximize the next expiry period.


Thanks for the clarification. Smiley Happy  

 

That's definitely how it worked when I used at&t's prepaid service.  For some reason I was thinking at&t had changed things to allow you to stack one refill on the end of the existing period so that you don't have to wait until virtually the last minute to refill in order to maxmize the benefit from the refill.  It's been so long since I've had their prepaid service though - I may be misrecalling (or misunderstood) what I thought I saw.

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 23 of 32 (33,068 Views)
Community Manager

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)


ptitelaure wrote:

Hi

 

Thanks Doug

Unfortunately the cancel date shows nov 2014... although I called customer service yesterday...

What's the best way to reach customer service btw? 611 makes it very hard to have an operator on the line...

 

thank you..

Laure


Hello Laure,

 

Why unfortunately? You wanted to confirm that your number stays active until August 31st 2014, this confirms that it will be active until November 2014, 2 months after the date you want, right? $130 refill will be good for 1 full year, balance expiration date will be September 1st and if you don't refill at that time the number will get canceled in 60 days, November 2014.

 

To get in touch with a customer care rep, call 611, first say "More Options" and then "Representative", might have to repeat "Representative" couple of times, that's how I always get them on the line.

 

Dmitriy


Rethink Possible


Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 24 of 32 (33,055 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)

 Unfortunately not. Then it would be bad for business Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 32 (33,053 Views)
Voyager

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)

Hello,

 

In this case, I understand if I refilled $100 on 02/28 before Account Balance Expiration Date, Main Account Balance would become $35.68+100=$135.68 and Account Balance Expiration Date would be extended to 04/28.

My questions are:

01. As soon as I refilled $100 on 2/28, would Rate Plan Status be activated and monthly plan start on 2/28, even if my next trip to the US is on 6/1?

03. This means will $100 be wasted without using monthly plan?

04. Or can I keep Main Account Balance of $135.68 until my next trip and start monthly plan from 6/1?

05. If I refill $100, $50 monthly plan will be activated continuously for two months or can I divide into two, for example from 6/1 to 30 and 9/1 to 30?

 

Message 26 of 32 (27,816 Views)
Master

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)


goombay wrote:

Hello,

 

In this case, I understand if I refilled $100 on 02/28 before Account Balance Expiration Date, Main Account Balance would become $35.68+100=$135.68 and Account Balance Expiration Date would be extended to 04/28.

My questions are:

01. As soon as I refilled $100 on 2/28, would Rate Plan Status be activated and monthly plan start on 2/28, even if my next trip to the US is on 6/1?

03. This means will $100 be wasted without using monthly plan?

04. Or can I keep Main Account Balance of $135.68 until my next trip and start monthly plan from 6/1?

05. If I refill $100, $50 monthly plan will be activated continuously for two months or can I divide into two, for example from 6/1 to 30 and 9/1 to 30?

 


Assuming that 30 days went by out of the 90 day account expiration date from a prior refill, yes, your account expiration date would be extended to 4/28 of next year, i.e. 4/28/15.

 

1. It depends on the plan. If you are signed up for a monthly plan like you indicated below, your rate plan would become active and deduct $50 every month out of your balance as many times as the amount will allow. 

3. Yes, that is correct. 

4. Yes, you can do this. In fact, this is what I would recommend that you do in order to avoid forfeiting any funds or usage time. 

5. The plan would be active for two consecutive months (or however many the leftover account balance will allow). Unfortunately, the customer cannot pick the dates to divide the time. 

 

Hope this helps! 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 27 of 32 (27,712 Views)
Community Manager

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)

"In this case, I understand if I refilled $100 on 02/28 before Account Balance Expiration Date, Main Account Balance would become $35.68+100=$135.68 and Account Balance Expiration Date would be extended to 04/28."

 

No, while account balance accumulates, expiration dates DO NOT stock up on top of another, if you refill with $100, 1 year expiration, your expiration date will be 1 year from 2/28, so 2/28 of 2015.

 

Dmitriy


Rethink Possible


Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 28 of 32 (27,625 Views)
Voyager

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)

Thank you so much for your reply.

I understood that if I refill $100 on 2/28 2014 Account expiration date will be 2/28 2015 and cancel date when I loose my phone number will be 4/28 2015. 

01.  Is this correct?

02.  Does my one month for $50 plan start on 2/28 2014 automatically and end on 4/28 2014?

03.  I live out of the US and I do not use this plan from 2/28 to 4/28 2014. If my next trip to the US is 9/1 2014 for two weeks and another next trip is 2/1 2015 for two weeks, is there good way to use $100 just for both trip of 9/1 2014 and 2/1 2015 not loosing my phone number?

 

 

 

Message 29 of 32 (27,515 Views)
Master

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)


goombay wrote:

Thank you so much for your reply.

I understood that if I refill $100 on 2/28 2014 Account expiration date will be 2/28 2015 and cancel date when I loose my phone number will be 4/28 2015. 

01.  Is this correct?

02.  Does my one month for $50 plan start on 2/28 2014 automatically and end on 4/28 2014?

03.  I live out of the US and I do not use this plan from 2/28 to 4/28 2014. If my next trip to the US is 9/1 2014 for two weeks and another next trip is 2/1 2015 for two weeks, is there good way to use $100 just for both trip of 9/1 2014 and 2/1 2015 not loosing my phone number?

 

 

 


1.   Yes, that is correct. There is a 60 day "grace period" that follows the account expiration date that keeps the account from expiring altogether. After 60 days, the account would be ruled inactive, and eventually cancelled. 

 

2.   If you added money to your account on 2/28/14, then yes, the $50 plan would take effect for the MONTH - A.K.A. 30 days. The service for that particular month would end around 3/30/14; not 4/28/14.

 

3.   Yes, there is a way to get the most bang for your buck per a $100 refill. The best thing to do would be to temporarily switch your rate plan from the $50 monthly plan to the $0.10 per minute pay per use plan. This way, you would avoid having to add even more money because the account would remain active, but no money would be deducted - provided that nobody excessively calls and/or texts your phone number.  When you return to the U.S., you have the option to switch back to the $50 plan whenever you like. 

 

Depending on if you are using a smartphone, which I presume you are based on your rate plan selection, you may not be able to take advantage of the traditional way of switching your plan by calling 611. If you are using a smartphone, you will have to call customer service and ask them to switch the plan(s) over for you.

 

Hope this helps! 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 30 of 32 (27,505 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.