Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
JoeDan's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Friday, September 16th, 2011 4:19 AM

Question about changing from postpaid to prepaid

Heard news about AT&T starting to offer a $25 a month prepaid plan that allows for unlimited messaging and 250 minutes starting on the 18th. Figured this would be a great idea for me, but does anyone know, would I be able to transfer my number from my current AT&T iPhone to this GoPhone service? 

One of the main reasons is because I'd like to keep my iPhone, but I am wondering if AT&T allows a customer to keep an iPhone but have it not have a rate plan or text messaging included. Basically, I want to use my iPhone just for data and have my GoPhone be used for talk & text. Any help would be appreciated!

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@JoeDan wrote:
Hmmm, so much to think about! Only thing that makes this a dilemma for me is I'm absolutely addicted to the iPhone and have never liked any other phone more, and have tried a lot. But, saving money is important and that $25 plan does that for me in spades... It seems like having an iPod Touch (since wi-fi is plentiful around me) might be the closest thing to having a data only iPhone. Have a lot of thinking to do!

I could still use wi-fi on the Thrive even if I only get the minimum data package required, couldn't I?
I personally have an iPod Touch (4th Generation) to use as my supposed "iPhone", and I also have my prepaid Android smartphone to serve as my everyday cell phone. I would agree that getting/using an iPod Touch as a data-only "iPhone" is the closest you can get without using the iPhone as the real thing.

You can use your current iPhone, but you must have a rate plan. I would suggest the $0.10 a minute Simple Plan - you do not have to use it for voice calls at all, and you can use it for data only if you chose to. I just don't see the point of having two separate phone numbers when you can use the iPhone as an iPod Touch, using Wi-Fi only, of course. Then you can use an LG Thrive as your everyday phone where you can place/receive calls, send text messages, use data, etc.

Yes, you can use Wi-Fi only on the LG Thrive purchasing the minimum data package. You can even have a little extra for data if you're not near a Wi-Fi zone for data on the go (so long as you purchase the data package). 😉

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

I was referring to the prepaid plan saving me money over the current $85-$90 I pay for my iPhone now with regular rate plan, messaging, and data.

I totally forgot about using the Google Voice option. That really does sound like a good idea. At first, Google Voice didn't seem like the best option because I didn't want to have to change my number, but I just remembered Google gives you the option to port your number to Google Voice, so I could just use that for text messaging, phone, and the much better voicemail. That actually sounds perfect! 

But the person after you suggested doing a Simple plan where my rate plan would only be under a 10 cent a minute rate plan on my iPhone so I could then keep the data. Then I'd only pay $25 a month for each essentially, so it's still inexpensive. So much to debate!  lol

Scholar

• 

182 Messages

13 years ago

This thread has reached the "infinite loop" stage, Joe.  So this is my last ost on this, promised.  *grin*

Google Voice for the iPhone is certainly all aces.  And the iPhone as a GoPhone costs the same as any another plan over Android when using prepaid.  So, having two phones:  one for "data-only" and another for talk/text makes no sense to me.

Watch this comparison:

1. iPhone as a GoPhone without data feature package (WiFi data):  talk at 10cent-minute plan plus Google Voice free texting (domestic and intenational) plus WiFi only data
  2. iPhone as a GoPhone with data feature package (cellular data):  talk at 10cent-minute plan  plus Google Voice free texting (domestic and international) plus WiFi plus Cellular Data only for the Outdoors (GPS Navigation, Web Access, Google Maps)

Note:  Cellular data can be turned off anytime at will, esp. when you are indoors to avoid leakage.  With the cellular data soft-switch off, iPhone as a GoPhone = iPod Touch Fourth Generation.

So, please, tell me why do you need either two separate devices, and/or a data-only iPod?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

First off, let me say that i TRULY appreciate your time on this. I think there's a lot that's confusing me here which is causing the problem. The iPhone with Google Voice seems like the best option for me. I had the impression it would be difficult to use the iPhone as a GoPhone. But I can easily port my phone # over to Google Voice and then use Google Voice for free texting... That would allow me to cut $20 off my phone bill by removing unlimited texts. Then, I can cut off the rate plan by going to the 10 cents a minute. I guess the only issue now is to figure out exactly how to use the iPhone as a GoPhone and then to find out what data packages are available!  that would require me to get a new SIM card, I think you said, right?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

actually disregard part of what I said there, it'd be better to just use the Google Voice number instead of porting the iPhone # so I wouldn't have to cancel my contract.... I would just give people my Google Voice #. Then I would just cut my text off and go to the cheaper rate plan. Then I may not even need the GoPhone thing...
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.