Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Morgan.C's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, August 28th, 2011 5:48 AM

Question About The HTC Aria (Aka HTC Liberty) On The AT&T Prepaid Network

I Recently Acquired An HTC Aria Which (As Y'all Know) Is Used On The AT&T Postpaid Network. I'm Wondering If It Is Possible To Get This Phone Working On The Prepaid Network. I Recently Read On A Yahoo! Answer That You Can No Longer Put Prepaid SIM Cards In Phones Other Than The One You Bought To Use With The Prepaid Account. Can Anyone Verify This As True Of Flase? And If It Does Happen To Be True (Which Would Be Terrible), Is Their Any Work-Around? Just Wondering Since I Recently Came From A Sprint Simply Everything Plan For $80.00 A Month, And Where I Live AT&T Is Pretty Much The Only Option. Any And All Ideas, Solutions, Or Suggestions Are Welcome, And Greatly Appreciated.

~ Casey

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

182 Messages

13 years ago

Hello Casey,

The HTC Aria will work as a GoPhone (Prepaid plan) no problem.  What you read on Yahoo!Answer was simply obviously wrong information.  It will work just fine.

The GoPhone Plan:  No Unlimited Data for Smartphones

Your  HTC Aria is a nice looking smartphone (Android 2.1) by reading the specs.  You need to take this into account when you select your GoPhone plan.  As you are coming from an unlimited $80-month Sprint plan, I imagine that you want the use of cellular data, in addition to free-use WiFi data.

But there is no unlimited cellular data for smartphones under the GoPhone plans.  The best you can do is the 500MB-month data feature plan for $25-month.  If you exhaust 500MB before the 30 day window, cellular data will stop, or you can refill with another 500MB for additional 30 days -- your choice.

Need a SIM Card?

You do not say if you have a fresh, inactivated SIM with your HTC Aria. Not a problem, either way.

• But one at eBay for $2.79, free shipping.  You only need an AT&T 3G SIM, and it does not have to be specifically GoPhone branded.

Example that I have used successfully:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-AT-T-3G-SIM-CARD-NEVER-ACTIVATED-CINGULAR-/350332270081?pt=SIM_Cards&hash=item51916e3601

Activate SIM

You need to activate your SIM under the GoPhone Plan.

1. GOTO:  http://att.com/activations (Browse now with your desktop, and get socialized with the steps, if you want.)
  2. Select the "Pay-as-you-Go"  radio button and the easy-to-follow instructions.

If you get in a bind, call 800-331-0500 for assistance in setting up your new SIM.  Others may fill-in to these steps, but you are well in your way, Casey.  Good luck.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Thank You So Very Much! You're An Absolute Saint! And Yes I Do Have A Prepaid Sim Card Ready To Go, I Was Just Leery Of Activating It Without A Phone That It Could Be Used In. Phew, I'm So Glad It'll Work... Once Again Thank You So Much, And Have A Good One (:

Scholar

• 

182 Messages

13 years ago

You too Casey.  Glad to be of help.

One more detail.  If you want to get the most bang for your recurring dollars, read my "Lesson Learned" at:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Lesson-Learned-How-to-Feed-my-iPhone-as-a-GoPhone/td-p/2842367

Granted, my example uses 100MB-month data feature plan together with 10cent-minute pay-as-you-go.  This may not apply to you at all, but the use of a (digital, web-bought) refill card does, as it will help you avoid AT&T "discretionary" surcharges (sales tax, per-line charges, E911 fees, ...), which AT&T levies to the maximum allowed by law.

Good luck.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Enjoy your new prepaid smartphone - I know I am! 😄 The best part is, there's no mandatory data plan requirement!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.