Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Rickochet's profile

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

Friday, November 8th, 2013 10:37 PM

Prepaid Account Question

I just got a Gophone and paid for the first month upfront.  I haven't decided how to do future payments and have some questions.

1.  If I pay by credit card can I pay for multiple months in advance?  And if I decide to cancel service is the balance refunded?

2.  If I exceed the data limit is a new block of data automatically added and charge made if there are funds in the account or does data shut off until I manually buy more?

3.  If I need extra data is there a limit to how many blocks of data?

4.  If I decide to go to a contract plan is my prepaid balance transferred to that or is it one account?

Thank you,

Rick

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

Hey Rick,

1. Not sure if you can pay for multiple months in advance. IIRC, the way the automatic plan renewal system works is that it automatically renews your plan when it expires every month. If you decide to cancel service, be aware that charges/any remaining balance is NOT refunded.

2. Once data packages are used up, you have to manually add them. Kind of a good way to keep track of data usage. 😛

3. There is no limit on purchasing data. Use as much as you think you may need.

4. Should you decide to move to a contract/postpaid plan, your balance will not be transferred over nor refundable. You could still keep your current phone number, but any remaining funds and services on the account would be forfeited.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, you will have to keep track of two separate accounts, one for you, and one for your wife. Unfortunately, prepaid accounts cannot be tied together.

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the info.  If I do decide to keep the service I will also change my wife's service to ATT prepaid.  If I do that do I have to keep up with two separate accounts?

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Those are great answers, only one minor correction, if converting from prepaid to postpaid account, whatever balance may be on the phone will transfer to a new account in a form of a bill credit.

For more information on that go here.

I agree with Wild Banchi, it's better to keep your service on a month to month automatic renewal, rather than prepaying for few months in advance. You can technically do that, you can keep up to $400 on your balance at any time, and plan or feature charges will pull from that balance.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

Those are great answers, only one minor correction, if converting from prepaid to postpaid account, whatever balance may be on the phone will transfer to a new account in a form of a bill credit.

I was not aware of that. Thanks D! 

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

10 years ago

@ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

For more information on that go here.

I agree with Wild Banchi, it's better to keep your service on a month to month automatic renewal, rather than prepaying for few months in advance. You can technically do that, you can keep up to $400 on your balance at any time, and plan or feature charges will pull from that balance.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Thank you for the information.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.