Old Cingular SIM & replacement GoPhone

Tutor

Old Cingular SIM & replacement GoPhone

I need to replace my wife's aging GoPhone.  The SIM is an old Cingular-branded SIM (that's how old it is!).  If I get a new AT&T GoPhone from Best Buy, will I be able to put the Cingular SIM in there and keep the phone number & balance?

Message 1 of 11 (3,055 Views)
ACE - Guru

Re: Old Cingular SIM & replacement GoPhone

 As far as I know,it will still work.
 I had been using Cingular SIM until mid 2012.
 But you better get it switch over to an AT&T SIM .

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11 (3,034 Views)
Tutor

Re: Old Cingular SIM & replacement GoPhone


adidaskid808 wrote:

 As far as I know,it will still work.
 I had been using Cingular SIM until mid 2012.
 But you better get it switch over to an AT&T SIM .



Thanks for the response, but I'm confused (not unusual for me).  If the Cingular SIM will work, why would I need to switch it?

Message 3 of 11 (3,009 Views)
ACE - Guru

Re: Old Cingular SIM & replacement GoPhone

 The reason I change from a Cingular SIM to an offical AT&T 3G SIM in mid 2012 because of the better reception in MT State for my AT&T  LG P506 smart phone.
  Last year,2013, I changed my AT&T SIM card 3 times,because my phones are using Micro SIM,and they are easy to get lost Smiley Sad 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 11 (2,996 Views)
Highlighted
Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author jfwp
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Old Cingular SIM & replacement GoPhone


jfwp wrote:

adidaskid808 wrote:

 As far as I know,it will still work.
 I had been using Cingular SIM until mid 2012.
 But you better get it switch over to an AT&T SIM .



Thanks for the response, but I'm confused (not unusual for me).  If the Cingular SIM will work, why would I need to switch it?


You can continue to use the older Cingular SIM, but it may be a good idea to consider upgrading the SIM to one that is more current for best overall performance. Depending on which phone your wife may be upgrading to, it likely will support 3G technology or even 4G LTE as opposed to only 2G or EDGE.  Generally speaking, 3G is significantly faster than EDGE, but EDGE tends to be more reliable in low-coverage 3G areas. If you live in a generally reliable and well-covered area signal-wise, then I would strongly recommend upgrading your wife's SIM card as well as her phone. 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 5 of 11 (2,994 Views)
Tutor

Re: Old Cingular SIM & replacement GoPhone

Thanks for that clarification!  I'm not particularly worried about speed.  She uses a very basic phone strictly for voice calls.  The old phone worked great, just getting old and worn and the battery isn't holding a charge like it used to. My plan is to buy a simple $10 Samsung flip phone GoPhone at Best Buy and that ought to hold her for another few years.

 

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 11 (2,915 Views)
Master

Re: Old Cingular SIM & replacement GoPhone


jfwp wrote:

Thanks for that clarification!  I'm not particularly worried about speed.  She uses a very basic phone strictly for voice calls.  The old phone worked great, just getting old and worn and the battery isn't holding a charge like it used to. My plan is to buy a simple $10 Samsung flip phone GoPhone at Best Buy and that ought to hold her for another few years.

 

Thanks again.


Sounds like a plan to me. 

 

You're welcome! 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 7 of 11 (2,894 Views)
Contributor

Re: Old Cingular SIM & replacement GoPhone

OK, if jfwp upgrades the SIM (instead of just using the old Cingular SIM), how does jfwp keep his old phone number and account balance?

Message 8 of 11 (2,281 Views)
ACE - Guru

Re: Old Cingular SIM & replacement GoPhone

This need to be done at any Corp. AT&T store.
For AT&T is a very easy job, just switch the old SIM card numbers to the new SIM card.
Everything will be done in less than 2 mins.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 11 (2,277 Views)
Contributor

Re: Old Cingular SIM & replacement GoPhone

tengo un telefono motorola v551g y esta bloqueado por cingular como puedo obtener el codigo para poderlo usar con otro operador, por favor ayuda, gracias

Message 10 of 11 (459 Views)
Contributor

Re: Old Cingular SIM & replacement GoPhone

I have a motorola phone v551g and is blocked by cingular as I can get the code so that it can be used with another operator, please help, thanks
Message 11 of 11 (458 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.