Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
amberchris555's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 1:35 PM

My charges don't make sense

Yesterday I made two calls on my phone and it appears that I overpaid.  My first call lasted 2 mins and 55 seconds according to the message at the end of my call and I was charged 40cents.  I am on a ten cents a minute plan so that is 10cents extra.  My second call I was charged 80cents for a call that was way under 8 minutes.  This may sound like peanuts, but I never really checked in the past and started wondering how long this has been going on.

Today I checked my online account and according to my online account I was charged correctly because the calls listed online were much longer.  For instance, my first call was listed as close to 4 minutes.  What gives?  Why the mixed message?  I would think the info that I get from AT&T on my phone as to how long I've been on should be correct.

Anyone know what is going on?

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

@Cebelicus wrote:

I'm in the same boat.  If the phone states the amount of time connected to call, that is what you should be charged.  This never happened with my old ATT phone.  Me thinks they've started bilking us out of 10 seconds on every call.  The phone tracks the time from when you hit the send button & displays the total amount of time for the call.  So when the call says 55 seconds & you're charged 20 cents on a 10 cents/minute plan, you just got screwed out of a minute.

Thanks for your money, sucker!

That's not quite true. The phone displays the time the phone call is picked up by the called party to the end of the call. I verfied it on my phone.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Yes the phone starts timing you from when the caller picks up, but AT&T charges you from the moment you hit send.  The charges you see don't match the time you actually talk. Keep paying attention to each call.   You also are constantly charged for calls when nobody picks up.  I am charged 10 cents for making a call that no one picks up.  How fair is that?  So here is a bad analogy.   I got to McDonalds and order a burger and fries.   I should be charged $2.50 cents according to the menu, but instead they charge me $3.50 cents because they are charging me for the time that it took me to enter the door, make a decision and walk to the counter.  Even if I ultimately don't order, there is still a dollar charge just for walking in.  Fair, right?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.