Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Hitman0769's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, March 20th, 2011 8:54 PM

IMs NOT INCLUDED in Data Package??!?

Hello All,

I am a long time AT&T GoPhone Customer who has spent thousands on my GoPhone and happily.. until now. I was in Boston for the PAX East 2011 Video Game convention when I loaded $25 (being charged $26.56 after tax) onto my GoPhone for the weekend. I purchased a 200 Messaging package for $4.99 then proceeded to use the phone. I was using the 10 cents a minute flat rate plan.

Everything was going fine, the texts were covered by my Messaging feature package and the calls were billed according to my 10 cents per minute plan. I also made some international calls which were billed according to the rate of the country I was calling. (I paid $1.19 each for a few 40 second second calls which is expensive for Australia but is fine I guess).

The issue I ran into though is that I ran out of money on my account way sooner than anticipated. No problem, I figured the calling I did must have run me out, after all I only loaded about 25$ on. I loaded on $45 (charge was $47.80) the next morning after discovering the GoPhone would not do ANYTHING.

I immediately bought a 100 MB Data package for $19.99 expecting that this would help cover the IMs I was doing since I realized they might be part of the reason my $25 had run out so quick. I still had the 200 Messaging Package and the 10 cents a call plan so I figured this would last me the rest of the weekend.

It turns out that what I didn't know was that I had been charged $18.00 on the 11th and $6.20 on the 12th for a total of 271 Instant Messages, and this is where 95% of the money went. Even still, even without knowing that I would EXPECT that the Data Package I bought on the 12th would have allowed me a GOOD Amount of Instant Messaging before running out of the package.

INSTEAD I was charged $25.00 that morning for 125 IMs following by my phone being completely dead for the remainder of the trip.

As it stands now my Account Balance is $0.08 cents and there is still 102400KB (100MB) Exactly on my Data Feature Package that doesn't expire until 4/10/2011. This is completely wasted since I won't be using the phone again until the E3 Convention in LA in June.

I want to know honestly, WHY are IMs not included in the Data Package? Is this a new policy or has it always been this way? Last Year in LA I used my phone for IMs way more than I did during the weekend in Boston and I did not run into this problem.

IF IMs are not going to be included in the Data Package I think it's necessary that we see an IM package of some sort appear, because these rates are completely ridiculous. When communicating with loved ones a few hundred IMs is not as much as it seems, and shouldn't be costing more than my actual Voice, Data, and Texting put together.

In total I was charged $49.20 for a very small amount of IMs. If this is the business I can expect moving forward you can all expect much less business from me, sorry to say because I prefer GoPhone above all else but IMs are very important to me and absolutely not worth this price.

Is there anything anybody can do to help me out with this? Anything at all would be appreciated. Like I said I have a $20 data plan which I don't even need on my account and I've paid $49.20 for Instant Messages that I assumed were included in the data plan.

-Jon

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@Hitman0769 wrote:

AT&T Chat Support and E-Mail is unavailable for prepaid customers and their phone has no way of talking to a live rep for prepaid customers.

That's the only reason I'm here!!!!!!!!!

I am stating my previous statement in a customer-to-customer manner. As already mentioned, there is no "official" AT&T representation here except the moderators who are here to keep everything in order.

You're right, the "Contact Us" e-mail and phone number are unavailable to GoPhone customers, but you have two other options. Option number one is contacting AT&T by this e-mail address: AT&T Corporate E-mail: http://www.corp.att.com/contact/forms/inquiries.html

Your other option would be to dial 611 from your prepaid phone and after every voice prompt, keep repeating "Customer Service". The system will eventually give in and transfer you to a live representative where you can chat real-time about this issue. Trust me, it'll work, as I have done it before.

These are the two choices that you have.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

That is completely irrelevant. The internet is an international device that connects everyone to FREE services like MSN and AIM as well as YAHOO Messenger.

There is no international fees associated with the charges on my account either it just says "Instant Messaging".

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

13 years ago

Instant Messages count as SMS message when using the built-in IM application.  They are not data.   In order for them to count as a data you would have to be using a third party application.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

MSN is a third party application

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@Planet-Ed wrote:

Instant Messages count as SMS message when using the built-in IM application.  They are not data.   In order for them to count as a data you would have to be using a third party application.

Correct. The IMs would/would have been included in your messaging package. They are not considered data as they are a type of "Instant MESSAGE". Therefore, they would be included in the 200 messaging package you have/had.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

It was done on the third-party app MSN and SHOULD LOGICALLY be considered data.

Also, why would I pay for data when the phone doesn't even have a web browser...

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

13 years ago

@Hitman0769 wrote:

It was done on the third-party app MSN and SHOULD LOGICALLY be considered data.

No.  If the app was pre-installed on the phone as part of the ROM/OS of an ATT/Cingular branded phone, then it is not a third party application.  A third party application would be one that you manually installed on the phone yourself.

@Hitman0769 wrote:

Also, why would I pay for data when the phone doesn't even have a web browser...

I don't know why you payed for a data package.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

Oh Okay. Thing is, this is not a smart phone.

Can anyone confirm if the IMs would be counted as MESSAGES for real please without a shadow of a doubt?

If I'm not going to be assisted in recouping the $70 i blew I would like to at least figure out a way to avoid the same thing happening again..

Thanks,

-J

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Instant messages would be considered and counted as messages. They are not a form of data. They should be covered under a messaging package - a data package would not apply to IMs.

Right, it's good to learn from your mistakes. 🙂

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

Okay but are you saying that as a commentor or as an official AT&T Statement?

I want to be 110% sure before I go spending more money because if this happens again I will just throw the phone away.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.