Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
rhu's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, December 1st, 2013 6:31 PM

Gophone for Tourist

I'm from Europe and plan to travel to the US for about 3 weeks and would like to get a prepaid plan for this time for my Smartphone. I will not use it anymore after this three weeks.

The Gophone $60 plan seems to be what I need (2 GB and nationwide calls included).

Are there some additional costs which will add up to these $60? (e.g. extra cost for SIM card)

What does it need to get it?

Can I just walk in an AT&T store after arrival in the U.S. and get one?

Will the account just vanish after I leave the U.S. or do I actively have to quit it to prevent further chargings to my credit card?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

You will need to get a SIM card, which you can usually get for free at any AT&T corporate store. So really, all you need to do is just walk into an AT&T store, ask for a SIM, set up the account with the $60 plan, and you should be good to go!

Adding $60 to the account would make it last for 90 days with a 60 day grace period, so the account will last up to an additional 5 months on the date that you add money. It will then be cancelled after those five months.

By the way, make sure that you DO NOT sign up for auto renewal or else AT&T may charge your card for the next month of service and so on. People visiting from abroad have had issues with this in the past. As long as you specify that you are not interested in signing up for automatic plan renewal, no further charges should appear on your credit card statement.

Enjoy your stay! 🙂

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Just wanted to make sure that I won't face any surprises. In some countries you need a local address or a local credit card.

I will tell you if it worked.

Thanks for your answer.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

You're welcome!

Now that you mention it, you are required to enter an address upon new account activation. I can't remember exactly if you can use alternative countries besides the U.S.... I don't think the non-local credit card should be a problem, although I do not use one to add money to my personal account.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Unfortunately holidays are over. Smiley Sad

But the prepaid card stuff worked fine.

All they need is a credit card or cash and a valid ID or passport.

Thanks again for your help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.