Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
jamileh's profile
Former Community Manager

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

Monday, March 4th, 2013 8:58 PM

GoPhone service on iPhone or other 4G devices

Good news! You can now use GoPhone service on your iPhone and other 4G devices!

We know you want prepaid options for the latest devices. That's why you can activate GoPhone prepaid service as long as your iPhone or other 4G device isn't under contract. You can purchase a new iPhone or other 4G device with our no-commitment pricing option.

With GoPhone for your iPhone or other 4G device, you can use the following services:

• Wi-Fi data only (including AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots)
  • Voice
  • Text Messaging
  • Picture & Video Messaging on iOS5.x and prior versions
  • Voicemail
--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

You are asking how to get around a carrier's rules on the carrier's forum.  This is not the best place to ask a question like that.

AT&T offers a plan for us$ 65 included the 1 GB of data.

I would like to use this for my 2 month journey through the United States. I can not make a contract because I'm just a tourist.

But I do not want to wast us$ 130 because the data service is shut down before the 2 month are over.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I've been a GoPhone subscriber since 2009, just using credit built up whilst I was home in the UK whilst here on vacation. Usually I simply swap rate plan from $2 Daily to $25 monthly add a data package and I'm set for my time here, then reverse that when I leave.

My previous iPhones worked with data ok (via an APN change - sorry I know that's taboo, but seems crazy I'd need to do that anyway) last visit in Sept I changed to a nano sim ready to use in my iPhone 5. I have tried changing APN but despite having a 4G icon my data is blocked.

I chatted online with support who suggested as I own my iPhone (brought unlocked via Apple) I'd need to change to a month by month plan for data to work.

I have visited 3 AT&T stores all of them said even though it was a month by month thing it was still a contract and they credit checked me. But as I'm not a US Citizen I don't have a social security no. I do have a US bank account and my GoPhone account is registered to A US address.

So they did a credit check entering a fake Social Security number and because my UK Driving Licence number was too long/different they only entered part of it. It came back wanting me to pay a $500 deposit hold for 2 years.

in one store the manager said try Virgin Mobile and in another I was referred to TMobile.

I don't want to leave AT&T I have had no issues in my 4yrs with you till now, but I went to T-Mobile and within 10mins had a working month by month SIM for $60 up front.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

Hi-I wanted to respond to let you know that they absolutely will not let you get 4G or 4G LTE on any prepaid device and or plan. I went round and round and argued with the store manager here in Cincinnati about this asking them why if I paid $65 for their smartphone plan with 1GB of data, that I couldn't get 4G service on my Blackberry. They wouldn't give me a straight answer, but I will because I know someone on the "inside". The sim card for all go phones has a chip in it that will not allow you to receive any 4G/4G LTE service, even if the phone is a 4G/4G LTE device. The most you can get is 3G service. It's absolutely ridiculous and is cheap on AT&T's part.. This is so they can force you to be in a contract, to pay full price for a phone and their high postpaid prices (over $65) just to get 4G/4G LTE service. It's a rip-off. I've tried this with my wife's phone too.

Mentor

• 

63 Messages

11 years ago

Until today? http://goo.gl/OEL4j

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

iPhone I now officially supported by GoPhone. They have 3 price plans to choose from, 2 of which include data and the third has an available add-on data package.
My iPhone 4S works perfectly, but slowly on this new plan. My average data rate is ~2mbps, which isn't close to 4G and is even on the slow end of 3G speeds.
However, it is better than EDGE data and certainly better than the ZERO data that I've had on my GoiPhone for the past 3 years. http://bit.ly/1e0Wgb6

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I truly doubt that I will stick with AT&T with the purchase of my next iPhone. They are not being at all
competitive with their pre-paid options. We are paying with the same US dollars as post-paid subscribers, but without ANY of the respect they receive from this corporation.
If AT&T makes significant changes to the services/speeds offered to pre-paid customers I may consider staying. But, I will most likely go to a more respectful carrier, like Virgin Mobile, who doesn't treat their pre-paid subscribers with disdain.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.