Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
hippieelmo123's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, May 25th, 2017 7:09 PM

Defective GoPhone Exchange Question

I purchased a Cingular Flip phone as a Gophone at the Pleasant Hill,CA corporate store on 5/22/17. Yesterday when I was using the phone when I closed the flip; I heard a crack sound. I looked at the phone and noticed that the housing around the Right side hinge had cracked. I tried to to exchange the phone today at the Pleasant Hill store. I was told that I would have to pay a restocking fee; I asked why and was told that it is a policy. I was then told to keep using the phone tell it breaks and then buy a new one.

I had to buy another phone due to the crack getting bigger every time I opened and closed the flip.

Wanted to know if this is the policy; to charge the customer due to a defect in a product.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

It would be difficult to claim the break was a defect in manufacturing, which means it would be chalked up to physical damage.  I would be surprised they would even agree to take it back at all.  

A restock fee is always charged if the return is not for cause (defective phone) 

The fee is $45 on a phone you can buy on Amazon for $20-$30.  Not worth it.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Went and bought a $25 flip phone at Best Buy instead of paying $50.00 on another one. New phone is made a lot better then the Cingular Flip was.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.