Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Launchy21's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, January 11th, 2014 4:31 AM

Carrier Unlock my AT&T LG G2

So I've been looking to have my G2 carrier unlocked for quite some time now, but I have not yet made any progress. Ive been poking around the AT&T customer service pages and nothing seem to work. I've tried calling customer support, but since my only subscription is a GoPhone account, I cant seem to get to any options letting me carrier unlock my phone. Ive tried using this page https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/ but it gives me an error saying "Our system has encountered an unexpected error. Please try your request again." I tried going to an AT&T store to have it unlocked, but I just got redirected to call customer support. Helpless loop. Any advice?

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Launchy21,

With GoPhone accounts you would need to contact Customer Care in order to have your device unlocked. Did you buy your device full retail from an AT&T Comapny Store or from someone else?

Generally speaking if you paid full retail price for the device from a Company Retail Store, you should be able to submit right away for the unlock. You will need to provide bill of sale showing the full retail price.

If you bought the device from another person and the line they bought it under was still in contract, they would be tied to their contract and he/she would be the only person able to submit for the unlock.

Hope this Helps!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I stopped by a corporate location today and they re-directed me to the web. They said that I would need to google how to unlock my device and go from there. They also mentioned that it is not done at any stores. I'm reading your post and it seems like two different answers for the same question. Do I go back there or do I pay this outrageous fee by some Craig's Lister who says he knows how to do it? (Cash upfront and no guarantees of course)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

P.S.
I personally purchased my device at full retail price and have been paying my monthly service ever since.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, MushHush!

Thanks for posting. To learn more about the requirements for unlocking your device or to submit an unlock request, click on the link below.

Customer Device Unlock Request

Let me know if that helps!

-Mariana

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

"Do I go back there or do I pay this outrageous fee by some Craig's Lister who says he knows how to do it?"

Neither. The suggestion above was that you contact customer care, which would be done online or by phone call. The people at the store can't do what you want done. (Forget Craigslist.)

Here are the terms of AT&T's device unlock service:

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Edit: Oh I see Mariana beat me to it!

Scholar

• 

185 Messages

10 years ago

With att unlocking device service, you have to go through that website it seems.

However, the choice is yours if you want to seek a different way or method to unlock your phone.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

10 years ago

first of all , all carrier unlock requests must be made via the website.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/termsAndCondition

secondly you need to have go phone service for 6 consecutive months to be eligible for unlock

my third point is key. it is very important that you make sure your IMEI # is registered to your account.

if your IMEI # (The serial number to the actual phone) is not registered, you will be refused an unlock.

there has to be a record that at&t has had that imei # on someone's account , or you lose the unlock

at&t service is assoicated to the SIM CARD and not the DEVICE. the young kids they have working at at&t stores do not know this. they think if the IMEI # is not assoicated or activated on your plan, the phone simply would not work. this is NOT TRUE. you can put the SIM CARD in any unlocked phone

and if you look up your account, they still think your on the old phone. 

i haven't tried managing my account over the net. but if you are considering a GO PHONE unlock.

you need to go to the at&t store and make sure they have your IMEI # on file.  you can get your phones IMEI # by dialing *#06#

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

10 years ago

i mean i have not tried to manage my account and see if there was a "register my imei " function. i had to go to the at&t store to register the phones

so far i have gotten 2 unlocks and both times they were refused because the imei #'s were not on my account. as soon as i registered them, the unlocks went through

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

10 years ago

another point.

unlock codes expire. you only have a certain amount of time to complete the unlock or you will have to resubmit the request. if they send you an unlock code i think its only good for a couple days. if you ask for an iphone to be unlocked you only have 24 hours to complete the process or you have to submit a new request

the  emails ive seen from at&t customer service , some say you have a certain amount of time to complete the process and some do not. it depends on the customer service agent who typed the email

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.