Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
MacFanBoy1995's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, September 24th, 2008 4:08 AM

Closed

Can i get a BlackJack II as a GoPhone?

If so will the media net work with it? I currently have T-Mobile and they let me get any pre-paid phone. I just wanted to know if it was the same for AT&T. Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy

Accepted Solution

Guru

• 

561 Messages

16 years ago

MacFanBoy1995 wrote:
How much will i have to pay to go online? See your next sentence for the answer. I don't really get the 1kb/1cent thing. I thought that was for downloading only. How much does it take to go online and surf the web? When you go online and surf the web, you are downloading data to your phone. The pictures, the words, it's all downloaded.
Also without the data plan what won't i "really" be able to do? It's not that you won't be able to do things, but with the "pay-per-use" it's really expensive. Compare 1MB at $10+ or 5MB for $9.99... A lot of the "real tone" song ringtones are 400+ kb, making them over $4 on the pay-per-use option.   I know i can text and call but what more can a blackjack do other than surf the web? You can get email, surf the AT&T Mall and get wallpapers/ringtones. I think the MMS (picture messages) use the internet connection to send. Those are the data things. If you meant what things like games/programs, you can go to the Samsung section or the Blackjack website.

Responses in pink.

Expert

• 

13K Messages

16 years ago

@MacFanBoy1995 wrote:
     If so will the media net work with it? I currently have T-Mobile and they let me get any pre-paid phone. I just wanted to know if it was the same for AT&T. Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy

Yes you can use a BJ on a prepaid service, however for internet connection the BJ requires a PDA data plan, and unfortunately that is not available on prepaid services, so you will unfortunately be confined to the pay per use media net ($0.01 per KB used) that is by default on all prepaid services.

Scholar

• 

164 Messages

16 years ago

You can also buy media net packages for 1mb - 4.99 , 5mb - 9.99 or unlimited for 19.99 Incase you are interested text messages are 15cents send and recive or if you buy the packages 200 messages - 4.99, 1000 for 9.99 or unlimited for 19.99

Message Edited by coolchick200583 on 09-24-2008 11:52:13 AM

Expert

• 

13K Messages

16 years ago

coolchick200583 wrote:
     You can also buy media net packages for 1mb - 4.99 , 5mb - 9.99 or unlimited for 19.99 Incase you are interested text messages are 15cents send and recive or if you buy the packages 200 messages - 4.99, 1000 for 9.99 or unlimited for 19.99

The BJ requires a PDA data plan, those plans are not available on prepaid services only on post paid services.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

16 years ago

@wilcre wrote:

The BJ requires a PDA data plan, those plans are not available on prepaid services only on post paid services.

Treo 750 also requires a PDA data plan, but only on postpaid as per AT&T's compatibility list it's compatible with MEdiaNet Unlimited on PYP. Since there are no official guidelines for compatibility with features on PAYG, if the phone works, it must be compatible.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

16 years ago

How much will i have to pay to go online? I don't really get the 1kb/1cent thing. I thought that was for downloading only. How much does it take to go online and surf the web?

Also without the data plan what won't i "really" be able to do? I know i can text and call but what more can a blackjack do other than surf the web?

Scholar

• 

164 Messages

16 years ago

I have had the blackjack II briefly and I didn't need a data plan. I used media net and it worked perfectly. Since prepaid doesn't offer a data plan.

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

15 years ago

Well, I see it's "solved", but I just wanted to add that I am a pay-as-you-go customer. I have the black jack II, and I use the pay-as-you go medianet package. Currently I have the 9.99 for 5MB package. It works beautifully. I even used it as a tethered modem for my computer (didn't do that long, tho...just a few page views and it zapped 2mb off my package....I don't have the unlimited medianet package yet and the IVR couldn't add it on for some reason...so I'll have to call customer care...my blackjack II was just delivered yesterday).

it does work, it'll do everything it'll do on a rate plan. packages are available. right now you can get unlimited medianet for 19.99...however they may take the 19.99 unlimited package away from us...so don't count on that package being there forever.

Expert

• 

13K Messages

15 years ago

@WebDunce wrote:
     Well, I see it's "solved", but I just wanted to add that I am a pay-as-you-go customer. I have the black jack II, and I use the pay-as-you go medianet package. Currently I have the 9.99 for 5MB package. It works beautifully. I even used it as a tethered modem for my computer (didn't do that long, tho...just a few page views and it zapped 2mb off my package....I don't have the unlimited medianet package yet and the IVR couldn't add it on for some reason...so I'll have to call customer care...my blackjack II was just delivered yesterday).
     it does work, it'll do everything it'll do on a rate plan. packages are available. right now you can get unlimited medianet for 19.99...however they may take the 19.99 unlimited package away from us...so don't count on that package being there forever.

Unfortunately this is in violation of not only the forum guidelines but also the terms and conditions of service, the BJ requires a PDA package that you can only get on a post paid service, yes it may work, but that doesn't mean it is allowed to be used, also tethering is against the media net terms and conditions as well. also a moderator has been notified as well.

Former Moderator

• 

1.5K Messages

15 years ago

WebDunce wrote:
I even used it as a tethered modem for my computer (didn't do that long, tho...just a few page views and it zapped 2mb off my package....it does work, it'll do everything it'll do on a rate plan.

Your suggestion here violates the Wireless Terms of your service, the GoPhone Terms of Service and the guidelines of this forum, so I would refrain, going forward, from posting such content. GoPhone devices should only be used with GoPhone plans and their functionality. AT&T doesn't offer any plans which support tethering while using a GoPhone. The forum has rules against promoting such actions. Rules which can result in the permanent removal of posting permissions.

Thank you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.