Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
DAWO's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, December 9th, 2011 10:45 AM

Can I buy a pre-paid sim card when visiting the US?

We are comming over to the US from Sweden over Christmas, and I wonder if it would be possible to bring my own cellphone (iPhone - unlocked) to the US and at the Miami International Airport (or nearby) buy an AT&T pre-paid sim-card (or something similar) so that I can call within the States and be reached from abroad???

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, you are able to do what you have described. Which model iPhone are you planning to use? The iPhone 4 and 4S use microSIMs, so it will be slightly more difficult to find a prepaid microSIM if that is the case.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

You're welcome. 🙂

You've made it even easier on yourself because you have an iPhone 3GS (like me) that uses the standard size SIM. If the airport has an AT&T store, you should be able to get a prepaid SIM, activate it, and begin using it with your phone.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks Wild Banchi!

Fortunately I "only" have iPhone 3GS which has this "normal" size sim card. So I guess this means that I can just walk into the nearest AT&T shop in the vicinity of Miami Airport and buy this pre-paid card?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Hi

I'm going to New York for the holidays and bringing my iPhone 4S. Can I walk in to an AT&T store and purchase a pre-paid microsim card and if so how much does it cost? Also will I be able to have data access via 3G?

I've looked at AT&T's site, but I can't find just sim cards for sale without any contracts or phones.

Thanks for your help 😉

P.S. I'll be travelling with family who also have iPhone 4Ss and I'm wondering if it would be wiser to rent a MIFI device. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

I'm not sure if AT&T offers specific prepaid microSIMs in stores, but it's worth a look. If they do have them in stock, they will run you anywhere from $0-$25. You will not have 3G data access available unless you find a workaround.

I'm not sure if MiFi devices can be "rented"... Anyhow, I have no knowledge about them, so I'm not sure about that.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

HELLO I LOVE IN THE MIDDLE EAST ABU DHABI.... I WAS WONDERING IF I CAN BUY A SIMCARD FROM OUTSIDE THE USA? MAYBE ONLINE? I HAVE A NOKIA 2690. AND ALSO A GALAXY TAB... THANKS

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Lots of people selling this so called AT&T sim cards online.
You can take a risk and buy it off them.

Some cards maybe expire,no exchange given by seller.

As you know, the Sim card is not active, you could have trouble to active it overseas.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

well i just wanted to get a simcard to be abel to get a google voice number so i can use the apps on my phone and call USA OR CANADA for free do u know somwting about it?

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

As my reply above,all Sim cards from any Telco in USA and Canada are sold as unactive.Smiley Sad

You need to active it in USA /Canada .

So, I don't think it will work in Overseas,Also, AT&T roaming are only work in Canada & Mexico.Smiley Embarassed

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.