Can I Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?

Contributor

Can I Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?

I currently use a blackberry 9700.  It is starting to go downhill and I want to get a new phone before it breaks and im stuck without a phone.  My upgrade isnt for another year, so I was wondering if I could take my post-paid SIM card from my blackberry and put it in a GoPhone (the LG Thrive specifically) and use it as a regular on-contract phone.  And if this is possible, would I see any change on my wireless bill (i curently have the least amount of minutes, unlimited text messaging, and the largest data plan [i believe it's 2GB]).  Thank you in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 12 (18,918 Views)
Highlighted
Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author tdgenduso
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Can I Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?

Yes, you certainly can do this. Smiley Happy 

 

You won't see any changes to your existing post paid plan.  Just be certain to activate the new phone with your post paid SIM - do not place the new SIM that comes with the prepaid phone in it for activation or you run the risk of the new phone being "locked" to that SIM, which would have to be rectified by customer service.  (I would just keep the new (unactivated) SIM on hand in case you need one in the future.)

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 2 of 12 (18,901 Views)
Contributor

Re: Can I Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?

Thank you so much for your help!  I will be picking up my new phone later today!

Message 3 of 12 (18,896 Views)
Master

Re: Can I Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?


tdgenduso wrote:

Thank you so much for your help!  I will be picking up my new phone later today!


Enjoy your new phone! Android is great, that's for sure. It looks like you are all good to go.

 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 4 of 12 (18,871 Views)
Master

Re: Can I Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?

[ Edited ]

 


tdgenduso wrote:

Thank you so much for your help!  I will be picking up my new phone later today!


Glad to help - enjoy the new phone! Smiley Happy

 

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 5 of 12 (18,864 Views)
Contributor

Re: Can I Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?

I would basically like to do the same thing, except I am currently using a feature phone with no data plan. If i buy an LG thrive and put my postpaid sim in it, will a data plan be forced upon me? Would I be able to only add a gophone data plan?

Message 6 of 12 (18,842 Views)
Master

Re: Can I Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?

 


psully85 wrote:

I would basically like to do the same thing, except I am currently using a feature phone with no data plan. If i buy an LG thrive and put my postpaid sim in it, will a data plan be forced upon me? Would I be able to only add a gophone data plan?


My bet would be that since at&t has clearly designated the Thrive to be a smartphone that if you use it on a post paid plan you will be required to carry one of the post paid smartphone data plans.

 

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 7 of 12 (18,810 Views)
Master

Re: Can I Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?


hme83 wrote:

 


psully85 wrote:

I would basically like to do the same thing, except I am currently using a feature phone with no data plan. If i buy an LG thrive and put my postpaid sim in it, will a data plan be forced upon me? Would I be able to only add a gophone data plan?


My bet would be that since at&t has clearly designated the Thrive to be a smartphone that if you use it on a post paid plan you will be required to carry one of the post paid smartphone data plans.

 


The postpaid version on the LG Thrive is called the LG Phoenix. The Thrive is a prepaid smartphone, while the Phoenix is another postpaid smartphone. I wonder if they differ at all technology wise - prepaid and postpaid? After all, they are pretty much the exact same phone...

 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 8 of 12 (18,778 Views)
Master

Re: Can I Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?

 


Wild Banchi wrote:

hme83 wrote:

 


psully85 wrote:

I would basically like to do the same thing, except I am currently using a feature phone with no data plan. If i buy an LG thrive and put my postpaid sim in it, will a data plan be forced upon me? Would I be able to only add a gophone data plan?


My bet would be that since at&t has clearly designated the Thrive to be a smartphone that if you use it on a post paid plan you will be required to carry one of the post paid smartphone data plans.

 


The postpaid version on the LG Thrive is called the LG Phoenix. The Thrive is a prepaid smartphone, while the Phoenix is another postpaid smartphone. I wonder if they differ at all technology wise - prepaid and postpaid? After all, they are pretty much the exact same phone...

 


One thing I would note is that per at&t's website documentation for the LG Thrive, it doesn't indicate it has WiFI ability, while the LG Phoenix does.

 

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 9 of 12 (18,769 Views)
Master

Re: Can I Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?

Hmm. That's interesting. Surely all Android phones must be Wi-Fi capable... If that should be the case, I would rather have the Phoenix over the Thrive, even though the Thrive is specific to prepaid GoPhone service.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 10 of 12 (18,767 Views)
Master

Re: Can I Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?

 


Wild Banchi wrote:
Hmm. That's interesting. Surely all Android phones must be Wi-Fi capable... If that should be the case, I would rather have the Phoenix over the Thrive, even though the Thrive is specific to prepaid GoPhone service.


 

It is common practice for at&t to remove features that are native to a generic product, whether it is through their firmware (removes access to the existing hardware) or by removing the hardware itself.  WiFi has been a common one, as have GPS and the secondary camera used for video calling.

 

And the other issue that comes to mind - although I don't know whether it is a "real" problem or just user error - but I've seen quite a few reports from post paid users who claim that they aren't able to use WiFi on their at&t branded device if they don't have a smartphone data plan.  So it would not surprise me if at&t were offering their first "smartphone" on prepaid service without WiFi ability in order to minimize the opportunity for users to purchase the prepaid model and use it with WiFi only.  (i.e.  If they are going to use data, at&t wants to steer them to go the post paid route where they require the user to have a data plan; but if a user truly wants to use a smartphone for it's other features and capabilities (non-data), at&t is giving them a way to do so without requiring a data plan. (?))

 

Hard to tell at this point. Smiley Happy  As the main page for at&t GoPhones does indicate the Thrive has access to AT&T WiFi Hotspots - but the fact that WiFi/LAN isn't mentioned anywhere in the summary of features or detailed specs for the device makes me feel that may be an error on their main sales page. 

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 11 of 12 (17,506 Views)
Master

Re: Can I Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?

Most likely. I am able to use Wi-Fi on my (prepaid, of course) AT&T-branded Captivate without a data package. That's what I enjoy about prepaid, even if it's true that postpaid customers cannot access Wi-Fi without a data plan. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 12 of 12 (17,502 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.