Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Christty's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 4:28 PM

Closed

Blackberry vs Pay As You Go plan

Can I have a blackberry and at the same time a Pay As You Go Plan?Any help at this time is welcome.

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

16 years ago

You can by obtaining a "Pay As You Go" SIM card (either from an at&t store or from eBay, etc.) and place it in an unlocked Blackberry (compatible with at&t) or locked to at&t service. 

Unfortunately you would not be able to use data - Blackberries use special servers/plans for their data access, and at&t does not provide for the service on a prepaid basis.  But for voice and SMS it would work just fine.  I've seen mixed information re: whether MMS will function - but at&t indicates Blackberries are compatible with their messaging plans which include MMS/IM; that information is certainly misleading if the purchase of an actual Blackberry data plan is also required for these included "messaging" services to function. 

Scholar

• 

164 Messages

16 years ago

I had recently purchased a blackberry curve and I haven't had any problems using the media net off it. Unless the data is something different lol. It may be different for you depending on how well your area receives data connection.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

16 years ago

coolchick200583 wrote:
I had recently purchased a blackberry curve and I haven't had any problems using the media net off it. Unless the data is something different lol. It may be different for you depending on how well your area receives data connection.

Thanks for the information.  I've seen a few users - both here and on other forums - indicate they can use MediaNet/MMS on their Blackberry.  So it may just be the BIS/BES e-mail that is not available without the special Blackberry data plan/servers.

Professor

• 

103 Messages

16 years ago

The Blackberry Curve has several of the Service Books preinstalled so you can use MMS and MEdia Net without having a Blackberry data plan.  Other Blackberry devices might need to download Service Books to get those features activated.

Scholar

• 

340 Messages

15 years ago

i can tell you from my experience that i cannot use mms service. i dont even get an alert that the message was rejected, unless you count when the sender calls or sms text me to see if i got it. i have heard some say they can use say as you go data plan, i wish they would tell me how cuz i cant. overall i would get the blackberry still, i an switching to a moto q for christmas and going to post paid plan go order to have full use me phone features

Expert

• 

13K Messages

15 years ago

@clowry wrote:
       I can tell you from my experience that i cannot use mms service. i don't even get an alert that the message was rejected, unless you count when the sender calls or sms text me to see if i got it. i have heard some say they can use say as you go data plan, i wish they would tell me how because i cant. overall i would get the blackberry still, i an switching to a Moto q for Christmas and going to post paid plan go order to have full use me phone features

It sounds like a provisioning issue in AT&T's back end that that is preventing the proper use of MMS to be done through your account/device.

Scholar

• 

340 Messages

15 years ago

i have contacted customer service to no avail. every time i was told that i cannot have access to those features without going to post paid plan. is this a recent change by at&t to allow mms use? it has been about 4 or 5 months since my last fight with them over this.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

I don't know anything about Blackberries, but consistent with efparri's indication - does your Pearl have the service books for MMS/MediaNet installed on it already?  If not, maybe that's the problem. 

I believe you have to have the Blackberry data plan to download the service books, and since the Blackberry data plan isn't available for prepaid accounts, you won't be able to do it with your prepaid SIM.  But do you know someone who has postpaid service with a Blackberry data plan?  You could place their SIM in your phone just long enough to obtain/install the required service books on your phone - hopefully enabling your use of MMS.

Message Edited by hme83 on 10-18-2008 07:32:45 AM

Professor

• 

103 Messages

15 years ago

Many of the data functions of a Blackberry device are controlled by Service Books, which are either included in the basic device or downloaded from the RIM servers and customized for the specific carrier.  The BlackBerry Curve has the Service Books for MMS pre-installed.  Other Blackberry devices will require that the Service Books be downloaded using  a Blackberry data plan.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.