AT&T international

Tutor

AT&T international

Hello. If I buy Go Phone sim card, can I use it in the Russian Federation?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 21
ACE - Guru

Re: AT&T international

Gophone sim card only offer roaming in Mexico and Canada.
You CANNOT use it in Russian Federation & the rest of the world unless you change to Post paid.
That mean credit check,US mailing address.......

Same rule apply to most prepaid sim card you get from Russian.
 For example,  Russian TELE 2 prepaid only offer roaming in Norway and Sweden. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 21
ACE - Expert

adidaskid808 wrote:

Gophone sim card only offer roaming in Mexico and Canada.
You CANNOT use it in Russian Federation & the rest of the world unless you change to Post paid.
That mean credit check,US mailing address.......

Same rule apply to most prepaid sim card you get from Russian.
 For example,  Russian TELE 2 prepaid only offer roaming in Norway and Sweden. 

MTS, Beeline & Megafon give you roaming in a lot of countries on prepaid plans.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 21
Tutor

Ok, how to use it in roaming? or there are special rates?

Thank you.

Message 4 of 21
ACE - Expert

BiNaRs wrote:

Ok, but i can use it as a roaming? or there are special rates?

Thank you.

As adidaskid said, GoPhone only allows roaming in Mexico and Canada. If you want to use a phone in Russia, you're better off buying a local SIM there. You would need an unlocked phone to be able to do that. Any GoPhone sold by AT&T will be locked to AT&T SIMs and can not be used with a foreign SIM without unlocking. So no, a GoPhone is pretty much useless in Russia.

Message 5 of 21
Tutor

ok, then what rate can be used for roaming?
Message 6 of 21
ACE - Expert

BiNaRs wrote:
ok, then what rate can be used for roaming?

You need a regular postpaid account to roam freely. 

Message 7 of 21
Tutor

Thanks, you can show what rate?

Message 8 of 21
ACE - Guru

@dmapr  Yes,I know MTS,Beeline & Megafon.

They still have limit of which country you can get roaming with prepaid.
Also you cannot easily get top up online.
Most top up Web page are in Russian,one of my Russian friend ask me to use a third party top up web page "Paysurfer" .
But they need your Credit card info. &  taken a small amount out before you can open up an account with them.(Not recommend)

Message 9 of 21
ACE - Guru

@BiNaRs 

http://www.att.com/att/global/affordable-world-packages/?calling

See the link above for the postpaid roaming rate package.

You will need a monthly postpaid plan with it .

Without the roaming rate plan package will be US$2.50/ min roaming at the rest of the world.

Message 10 of 21
ACE - Expert

adidaskid808 wrote:

@dmapr  Yes,I know MTS,Beeline & Megafon.

They still have limit of which country you can get roaming with prepaid.
Also you cannot easily get top up online.
Most top up Web page are in Russian,one of my Russian friend ask me to use a third party top up web page "Paysurfer" .
But they need your Credit card info. &  taken a small amount out before you can open up an account with them.(Not recommend)

I use mobile recharge to top up my MTS SIM. I use one-time credit card numbers. There's 2% fee, but it's the most convenient way. Other than that, I add money when I'm actually in Russia, plenty of fee-free locations to do so (they take cash or bank cards, not credit cards).

Yes, they still have a limit, but it's like 100+ countries, not 2.

Message 11 of 21
Tutor

Thanks for your answers. I figured if I'm choosing only text messages, the monthly fee will be $10?

is there any roaming tariffs but no monthly fee, ie cancellation will only messages?

PS. Sorry for my bad English.

Thank you.

Message 12 of 21
ACE - Guru

@BiNaRs ,
 Hi, I am not that good for answer about Postpaid question.
But like I said early,you will need to go through Credit Check,US mailing address ,SS number before you can apply for Postpaid service with AT&T.
Much like having mobile phone service in Russian.
And you cannot have only text messages service on your phone.

Message 13 of 21
ACE - Guru

@dmapr ,
  Yes,I agree only 2 places you can do roaming with AT&T Gophone is a kind of ..............
But even you can do roaming for over 100+ countries ,the roaming fees and cost are expensive.

Go back to the Russian Sim cards, I do know  you can add money when you are in Russian.
This time I got a Russian Sim card for travel is someone told me it is cheaper for data roaming use in EU.
with a Russian Sim card.

Roaming in EU with any EU telecom will cost about 5 Euro for 50 MB.
But with the Russian Sim card,it only cost 5 ruble for unlimited 3G data for 24 hours.

I don't know this is true or not.But now I need to found out how to put money into that Russian sim card online before I go travel Smiley Sad

Message 14 of 21
Tutor

adidaskid808, you do not understand, buy sim card is not problem, I'm asking specifically about roaming and the cheapest rate...

Message 15 of 21
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Login to your GoPhone Account to check your balance, report a lost or stolen phone and manage your service!

Additional Support