Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
mindyourmanners's profile

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

Friday, January 28th, 2011 12:37 AM

.25 cents a minute versus .10 cents a minute? The difference?

I used to have Cellular One prepaid at .15 cents a minute. When AT&T bought Cellular One, they upped my rate to .25 cents a minute and it's been like that for about three years. I could not go with a competitor because there are no other carriers where I live.

It is a straightforward plan: .25 cents a minute for calls (even when someone calls me and hangs up without leaving a message!), and .20 cents for each text. I am not a heavy user of either except in occasional spurts when I travel now and again. I don't use any other services (mostly because I don't understand them and what they will end up costing me, so I keep it simple).

Since my account was rolled over to AT&T, they started advertising a .10 cents a minute plan, but I am still paying .25 cents a minute. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two plans, or why I am still paying so much more?

Thank you

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Well, to sum it up as best as possible, when you switch over to the $.10 a minute Simple Plan from the original $0.25, you are basically just paying $.15 LESS per minute. Which is a great deal.

I used to dread making/receiving calls on my prepaid phone when I was on the $.25 Simple Plan, but AT&T got smart and decided to lower the price by fifteen cents. Instead of getting just four minutes for a dollar, you could now get TEN if you switched to the $.10 rate. That's more than double!

To switch over to the $.10 a minute Simple Plan, you can simply dial "611" from your prepaid phone, and when you get to the Main Menu, select "more options". You can then say "Simple Rate Plan", and the automated IVR should give you details and information about the plan. If you would like to transfer over to the $.10 a minute rate plan from the $.25, you can confirm the change, and then you'll be able to make and receive calls at just ten cents a minute instead of twenty-five.

There are no hidden fees, gimmicks, or catches... It's just simply cheaper. 😉

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you for the replies!

One more question though: If I switch, will it change the simple, straightforward .20 cents a text I pay now? Will I have to sign up for something else to get text messaging, or will it remain the same as now?

Thanks!

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

13 years ago

Oh, and I just added $100.00 to my prepaid gophone account. Will I lose it or any of it if I switch?

Again, thank you.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@mindyourmanners wrote:

Thank you for the replies!

One more question though: If I switch, will it change the simple, straightforward .20 cents a text I pay now? Will I have to sign up for something else to get text messaging, or will it remain the same as now?

Thanks!

Text messaging will be standard and remain at $.20 per message sent/received. The $100 you have added to your account would also not be affected by the switch and would roll over. The only part that would change at all is that your cost-per-minute rate would change from $.25 a minute to just $.10. And hey, who wouldn't want that? 😉

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you!

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

You're welcome. 🙂
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.