Explore & discover

Helpful Links

FirstNet Service

Contributor

FirstNet Service

3 days ago I switched to FirstNet. We have 1-2 bars at best. Half of the time ‘No Service’ and 4G. Notifications are very late. As a first responder I Depend on reliable service. The first net service is horrible and not reliable. As soon as I can I am going back to the AT&T store in demand My old service. I do not recommend FirstNet to anybody who depends on good reliable cellular service. 

Message 1 of 72
Tutor

Re: FirstNet Is the worst!!!

Thanks. Best of luck to you too

Message 61 of 72
Contributor

Hi all! Looking to move from T-Mobile to ATT FirstNet and found this thread. Any UPDATES recently from those here having issues during most of 2018 into 2019 ??

Thanks in advance for the replies! 

Message 62 of 72
Tutor

No updates here. Went to ATT and they said they never heard of poor
performance of First Net. Changed the SIM card. I could not imagine that
this would help.
Still having issues with SIRI when I’m driving. Also, about 25% of the
calls I make just ‘hang’. It said ‘Calling Joe’. Or whoever and there is
the red button to cancel the call but nothing happens.
I will go there and ask them to replace the phone and if that doesn’t help
I will reinstall all my apps from scratch (and lose app data) and then I
will have reached the end of the rope. Do t know how bad TMobile is but
First Net seems to be worse than regular ATT. Will probably move to
Verizon.
Thanks
Tom
Message 63 of 72
Contributor

FIRST NET service does not work at all if you frequent Mexico regardless of what the mobile sales rep say, specifically in the San Diego Area. I recommend going to the local AT&T store on Dennery Road and speak will the sales staff their. They were great, fixed my problem by trouble shooting the no service in Mexico, stating that the FIRST
NET SIM card wont work. It was replaced with the basic AT&T SIM card and works great. DO NOT GET FIRST NET from their Mobile Reps (San Diego).

Message 64 of 72
Tutor

Check the color of your SIM card first! If the SIM is black, ask AT&T for an orange one.  They will provision the orange SIM and your phone should authenticate  to their commercial network while still providing you with prioritization and preemption.  I am a first responder with about 10 years on the tech side and have been fairly involved in the slow but sure evolution of the FirstNet network (as an end user and account manager).  Without boring you with the technical reasons why one SIM works differently than the other, I have found that my devices work much better with the Orange SIM.  Eventually this will change as Band 14 becomes available on more towers.  Now, if you are just in a weak AT&T region, nothing will help you.  But if they have sufficient propagation in your region and your FirstNet device is performing poorly, my guess is that you need to ensure that you're running an orange SIM.  Good luck, brother... Don't quit the network just yet.  It will succeed but we are early in the game and our collective experience and feedback is important to get the network where it needs to be.

Message 65 of 72

Thanks for sharing, I haven't made the switch just yet but probably will eventually when it's built out a little more and improves. Do you know anything about Verizon first responder Priority features? They've added Wireless Priority Service to my personal line which automatically includes Mobile Broadband Priority but I haven't noticed a difference at all. Still slow to no LTE speeds during congested events or areas.

Message 66 of 72
Tutor

I'm not an expert on the VZW first responder network but I have friends
with both AT&T and VZW and my fleet (mobile data terminals) are still with
them. I only moved my agency cell phones and some aircards to AT&T.
Verizon has a great network for sure but they are completely controlled by
their Board of Directors. When push comes to shove, their allegiance will
be with whomever represents the most revenue. I understand this as a
business minded person but as first responders we need a network that is
strictly built to service public safety...even if we do not represent the
highest percentage of profit.
Firstnet is different in that network compliance is held to a standard that
is mandated by the government to ensure that first responders are
prioritized on a network built specifically for public safety.

My understanding is that VZW has simply carved out a portion of their
commercial network to service first responders. The decision to do so was
completely motivated by poor business decisions to abandon some responders
needs in the past (including mine) which cost them alot of money when we
moved to AT&T. First responders tend to be loyal and as such we expect
loyalty in return. Verizon's loyalty is to their bottom line.

Sorry for the long response but at the end of the day I would prefer that
my business as a first responder stay within the guidelines set forth by
911 Commission rather than with a cellular carrier that can, and has,
pulled the plug on my needs when told to do so by their investors.

Having said all this, I believe that VZW does maintain a strong network.
However, AT&T coverage is at least as good in my city and I like that they
have contracted with the government NOT to throttle bandwidth and to
provide prioritization to first responders. Just my opinion based on my
experience. Hope it helps.
Message 67 of 72

I don’t think I my last few messages posted on here.  Anyway, my concern is that FN will boot me off of their unlimited plan after three consecutive months or using more than 22GB of data.  Currently, on Verizon I can exceed the 22GB every month with no penalty other than possible prioritization behind other users during network congestion.  By switching to FN I’d be setting myself up to be kicked off the unlimited plan in three months bc I go over 22GB every month.  Any advice on if I should still switch or not?

Message 68 of 72
Tutor

Yea...

Advice: Run far away from FirstNet. It’s garbage.

Back on standard AT&T and its night and day.
Message 69 of 72
ACE - Sage

@mervin.0587 wrote:

I don’t think I my last few messages posted on here.  Anyway, my concern is that FN will boot me off of their unlimited plan after three consecutive months or using more than 22GB of data.  Why is that a concern?  It’s unlimited to 22 gigs, then you are subject to reprioritization if network is congested.   Some people are known to use 100 gigs a month without a problem. Why would you be kicked off first net or AT&T when that is their offer? 

First net operates as priority during any emergency situation and your line would not be re-prioritized at that time and you can use as much as you like.   If this is PERSON USE, not work related, you may be asked to document the usage.  

Currently, on Verizon I can exceed the 22GB every month with no penalty other than possible prioritization behind other users during network congestion.    How is that different from AT&T? It isn’t! 

By switching to FN I’d be setting myself up to be kicked off the unlimited plan in three months bc I go over 22GB every month.  Any advice on if I should still switch or not?

Are you seeing this somewhere in firstNet’s information that you are somehow limited to 22 GB/month in three consecutive months or they kick you out?    It’s been rumored, but no one reports it happened.    Yes you are held to the 22 GB reprioritization threshold, but only until there is an emergency.   

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 70 of 72
Administrator

Hello @ertonym,

Thank you for your recent posting. We appreciate your participation within the Business Community. Sorry to hear this. We will be glad to help with any concerns or issues you may be having. Please send me a private message by clicking here (https://soc.att.com/2Tpm8VW) and be sure to include the following details so I can help:

Business Name:

Contact Name:

Account Details:

Contact Number:

Email Address:

Thank you,

Lisa

Social Media Manager

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 71 of 72
Highlighted

It’s literally in black and white on their website.  You click rate plans and scroll to the bottom.  I’ll even paste the link below to make it easy on ya.

Message 72 of 72
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support