Wireless Forums

Posted Oct 4, 2013
11:03:37 AM
View profile
easy answer to 10 digit dialing

I live in San Jose Ca where we have been converted to ten digit dialing.

If I want to call my next door neighbor, I have to enter 1408 before his 7 digit number.

I understand the need for this as the network is running out of numbers and area codes.

My suggestion is:

The telephone keypad has two almost unused keys; The * and The #

If the telephone switch sees an * as the first dialed key, it would replace it with a 1 followed by the root area code of the calling telephone.

For a slight fee, the user can use the # for any other area code he/she defines.

This would save millions of keystrokes per day in the US and make the users happier.

I have been trying to get this idea to AT&T for a year and can’t seem to get to the right people.

If you know a better way, let me know.

If I want to call my next door neighbor, I have to enter 1408 before his 7 digit number.

I understand the need for this as the network is running out of numbers and area codes.

My suggestion is:

If the telephone switch sees an * as the first dialed key, it would replace it with a 1 followed by the root area code of the calling telephone.

For a slight fee, the user can use the # for any other area code he/she defines.

This would save millions of keystrokes per day in the US and make the users happier.

I have been trying to get this idea to AT&T for a year and can’t seem to get to the right people.

easy answer to 10 digit dialing

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2013 7:04:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

stpaddock wrote:

My suggestion is:

Not to burst your bubble or quelch your creativity, but I would start working on a new project.

Not to say you've got a bad idea, but it would be much more useful if we were all still using these phones.

As it is most any new phones have "phonebook" features that allow you to store anywhere from 20 to a 100 numbers (including the 1+areacode) which can be accessed with, at most, 4 to 6 button pushes.

Or most have speed dial where you can have access to (usually) 10 numbers with just 1 or 2 button pushes. You could set one of the speed dials up with just the 1+areacode, then just hit your speed dial and finish dialing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

stpaddock wrote:

My suggestion is:

Not to burst your bubble or quelch your creativity, but I would start working on a new project.

Not to say you've got a bad idea, but it would be much more useful if we were all still using these phones.

As it is most any new phones have "phonebook" features that allow you to store anywhere from 20 to a 100 numbers (including the 1+areacode) which can be accessed with, at most, 4 to 6 button pushes.

Or most have speed dial where you can have access to (usually) 10 numbers with just 1 or 2 button pushes. You could set one of the speed dials up with just the 1+areacode, then just hit your speed dial and finish dialing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: easy answer to 10 digit dialing

2 of 2 (686 Views)