Need to get in touch with a Sales Representative? Talk to a Business Expert HERE .
ugottony's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, December 31st, 2011 8:06 PM

intermittent microcell service

I've had our microcell for appprox a year. We use ATT uverse broadband. We've been ATT customers for over 10 years.

Our ability to stay connected to the microcell is steadily becoming worse. The first few months were problem free. Nothing has changed in our condo, exact same electronics from the beginning.

Our phones now need to be rebooted whenever we come home (airplane mode cycling doesn't do a thing). The phones will "occasionally"  find the MC network if left for a long time. Meanwhile we may miss calls and texts if we forget to reboot the phones. Otherwise we're on the ATT network varying 0 to to1 bar. When they do hook up to the MC network the phones have trouble transitioning to the ATT network if we're on the phone and leaving our condo, hangs on to MC signal even though parking lot has stronger ATT signal and of course the call is lost. Of course we loose calls trying to come home as well.

I feel like we live on some farm in 1978.

I regularly have to deal with my wifes frustration. She's a partner in a company and gets very frustrated when the phone doesn't work. She needs a more reliable lower maintenance phone. I concur with her frustration.

Iphone 3gS and samsung galaxy phones being used. We live in Foster City CA, silicone valley area, 6 million people in the area and I can't get cell phone coverage, give me a break.

ATT customer supports "latest" response was it was the MC manufacturers fault and they're trying to fix.

ATT I've been patiently waiting for a microcell fix and see from online postings other people have been waiting a few years for a fix. I can't put much pressure on you but I will be switching to verizon if I/you haven't been able to solve this problem when my contract is up for renewal in March. In fact I'm going to look at there website right now being I doubt a couple of smart phone customers leaving your system will be of much concern to you.

Former Employee

• 

576 Messages

12 years ago

Hi ugottony,

Thank you for participating within the AT&T Business Community.  We will need some additional information to be able to assist you with the AT&T 3G MicroCell.  We have sent you a Private Message with instructions on how to send us this information.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I could have written the exact same text as yours (right down to dealing with my wife's frustrations!).

I've been dealing with this for over a year now. First year of usage was "good enough." Not great quality but at least I could receive text messages and calls and then call back on a land line if need be (how sad is that!)

Now, my microcell drops every 5 or 10 minutes or so for about 5 minutes. I know because everytime it drops, the iPhones (we have 2, both 3GS running iOS 5) start "buzzing" some small nearby PC speakers (presumably interference as the phones are looking for a nearby "tower"). [So annoying that at night (and often during the day and evening) we turn off our phones to prevent the speaker buzz (speakers buzz, btw, even while turned off: must be magnetic or something)]

Anyway, based on your post and many, many others I've read over the Internet, and based on the non-repsonse from AT&T (including just plain giving up on even trying to solve the problem), has anyone thought about some lawsuit of sorts (if only to get back money from obviously flawed products)?

Freddy.

ps: the most annoying part of AT&T giving up on solving the problem was when the incompetent rep actually finished with "Can I help you with something else?" or something to that effect. Almost ripped the phone out of the wall!!!

ps2: I even offered to work with AT&T to monitor the line as the drops occured (very consistent drops) to see if the problem was on their side or the ISP side (my setup had not changed when intermittent drops started). No one ever called. Problem ticket is still open and unresolved.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

...forgot to say: you actually got much further down the road then I did if your rep told you it was a manufacturing defect. I never got that far. Most that we did was change the MTU (max transmit unit) on MY SIDE (both adsl modem and router: to 1492, btw) to try to see if that had any effect. But there was NO WAY the problem was with the AT&T CISCO box (heavy sarcasm...)

Freddy.

Former Employee

• 

576 Messages

12 years ago

Hi veryfrustrated,

We will need some additional information to be able to further assist you.  We have sent you our contact information through Private Message.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

We are having the same issue.  If you google "microcell" dropped calls seem to be a common feature of this device.  Maybe that should have been printed on the box.  

AT&T: IF THE IS A "SOLUTION"...POST IT...DON'T PM IT.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Same problem!!  

During calls of 5 minutes or longer, several second garbled or "drop out silence" moments start happening every several minutes for the duration of the call.  Very annoying.  Makes the system basically useless for business calls.  Switching back to my zBoost external attenna unit.  Much better for the wife's iPhone 3GS, and I guess I will just suffer along with the my new 4G iPhone 4S at 1-2 bars with intermittent dropped calls.

My guess is that the Cisco femtocell is doing its job, and that we are uncovering the intermittent and generally poor quality of the ATT Uverse DSL signal.  Have had regular annoyances with slow download speeds since we converted from Cablevision to Uverse.  Planing to switch back to Cablevision, cost is the same and internet speeds were faster and more consistent.

Just amazing that we are required to pay for poor service like this!

Scholar

• 

75 Messages

11 years ago

That sounds like something att will have to open a ticket for. Have you tried calling in yet?

Tutor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

3 years later and these faulty microcells still don't work. I just purchased a new one as AT&T refused to help me until I did so. Now, 3 months later the new mictocell intermittently loses all bars but maintains a satellite connection (just as the old one did). I wonder if Verizon microcells are more reliable.

Employee

• 

296 Messages

9 years ago

Hi daeser1,

I will be happy to help you. Can you please send me a Private Message to http://bizcommunity.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/110533 with the following information?

• Full Name:
  • AT&T Account Number:
  • Name on Account:
  • Preferred Contact # or Email:
  • Description of Issues:         

Thank you

Laura

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Like many others, we are experiencing increasingly intermittent Microcell reception upon which we are dependent. We have three cell phones which require that cell to work, 2 of which are for business. We are getting increasingly frustrated. Powering down works on occasion, restarting the microcell used to work but no longer seems effecttive. Mostly, it seems random. And even when it is working, the range is very diminished.

I have never seen a solution offered in the forum and am wondering if by now something has been resolved.

Employee

• 

355 Messages

9 years ago

gardengirl,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your microcell. Let me be of some assistance for your issues. Please send me a private message by Clicking Here http://bizcommunity.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/103392 and include the following information so we may assist?

Please include the following information.
Full Name:
Preferred Contact #:
Preferred Time to be contacted (include time zone):

Thank you

Lisa

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

My issue is NO microcell service in last couple months. The only thing I changed was new TWC cable modem/router. Can that be the isuse and what can i do about it?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

assume you saw my ealrier replay about new router/cable modem

Employee

• 

147 Messages

8 years ago

Hi ezepp2012,

Thank you for reaching out on our Business Community. Please review this link to troubleshoot your Microcell:
 https://www.att.com/devicehowto/agent/index.html#!/tutorials/topic/9006081.  If futher assistance is needed please send me a Private Message by clicking here the following information, so I can further assist you.

Contact Name:

Contact Email:

Wireless# the Microcell is registered to:

You can also call our Technical Team by calling 1-800-331-0500.

Thank you,

Chris
AT&T Social Media Manager

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

These m-cells are a joke! Used to have to power off and on phone to get service. Now I just reset the m-cell. Waited and waited, got the m-cell at top left of phone for 20 secs and now I'm back to no service. So frustrating.
Not finding what you're looking for?