Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Game of Thrones Season 8 - Episode 1 Recap "And so my watch begins..."

Highlighted
Administrator

Game of Thrones Season 8 - Episode 1 Recap "And so my watch begins..."

Like many of you, Season 7 left me on the edge of my seat wondering who was going to ultimately take the throne. Was it going to be Daenerys, descendant of “the Mad King” Aerys II Targaryen? Jon Snow, the King of the North? Or Cersei Lannister, who will stop at absolutely nothing to get what she wants?

Of course, Game of Thrones is known for taking fans in one direction, only to shock them with the opposite when one of their favorites has been (what I’ll euphemistically call) de-throned.  

The premier of Season 8, Episode 1 has certainly left me with more questions than answers, but one thing I know for certain is – it’s going to be epic.

Here’s my recap of everything that’s happened so far:

Warning – Series Spoilers Ahead

Spoiler

Daenerys, Jon, and their army have arrived at Winterfell – to a mixed reception. When Jon left last, the title of King of the North was bestowed upon him. On his return though, having bent the knee to Daenerys, northerners already weary of outsiders are even further on edge and unsure what to make of this new development.

For fans though, this moment was a homecoming:

• Jon Snow is reunited with Sansa, Arya, Bran Stark along with Sam Tarly
  • Arya Stark finds Gendry and runs into an old (Enemy? Friend?) Sandor “The Hound” Clegane
  • Tyrion Lannister and Sansa Stark having not seen each other since the wedding share an almost humorous moment over Joffrey’s fate

Over in the South, Queen Cersei is amassing an army of her own with the help of Euron Greyjoy who recently took up the mantle of King of the Iron Islands and the Golden Company. The two have now formed an uneasy alliance where both seem to be playing the other one to fall into their hands.

Major Developments

Jon Snow learns that he is actually Aegon Targaryen, the son of Rhaegar Targaryen putting him heir to the Iron Throne. This places Jon as Daenerys brother, and is surely going to have some drastic consequences to their relationship.

Euron hints at a future heir that may be growing inside of Cersei after their night together. I have a feeling that this has been his plan all along – but I wouldn’t put it past Cersei to use this for her own gain.

Other Developments

Sam Tarly learns of his Father and Brothers fate after they refused to submit to Daenerys and shares this newfound knowledge (and perspective) with Jon. Will Jon continue to see Daynerys in the same light?

Bran Stark and Jaime Lannister meet again for the first time since the beginning episode of the series where Jaime unceremoniously defenestrated Bran out of a window crippling him for life. In a show where revenge is almost guaranteed (albeit patient), a confrontation is inevitable. How will this story ark play out in the remaining 5 episodes?

Theon Greyjoy rescues his sister Yara who releases him to go fight for the North. She mentions staying behind to have a fallback point where the dead can’t go. Along with the exchange of “What’s dead may never die” “Then kill the[m]… anyways” leads me to wonder if she knows something about the White Walkers that we don’t know.

Final Thoughts

Episode 1 has set the stage for the final season, and has reintroduced us to the web of deceit, power, and manipulation that is ongoing in the quest for the Iron Throne. What is clear though is this – “If you think this has a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention.”

Who do you think will take the Iron Throne? Let's chat about it in the messages below.

For more recaps, discussions, and news, make sure to join our Community and follow us on our Game of Thrones boards.

Watch Game of Thrones® on HBO®. HBO® subscription required.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 4
Associated Member

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 - Episode 1 Recap "And so my watch begins..."

IMG_9372.JPEGWhen Bran's "old friend" turned out to be Jamie...

The episode seemed to go by so fast... but that last scene, though...

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (3)
Message 2 of 4

Iron throne doesn't seem to matter anymore. When the Night King arrives, survival is the ultimate motiveCat Happy I guess Dany might be killed in the big battle of WinterfellWoman Sad

Message 3 of 4
Associated Member

I'm ready to see those dragons fight! 

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support