For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
mpw101's profile

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

Sunday, May 4th, 2014 10:53 PM

where is New Orleans NBC channel?

I have no idea where to post this, so I'll try here.  Tell me where to post if this is wrong.

I live on the Gulfcoast in Mississippi.  I used to get NBC from New Orleans on channel 1006. Now I get a local channel, WXXVH2, which does not have near the programing that the New Orleans channel has.  Why did U-verse take away the New Orleans NBC channel.  The local NBC channel on the coast in Mississippi is awful.

I want to know why the New Orleans channel was taken away, I used to get it and the local NBC channel, but only watched the New Orleans channel.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@mpw101 wrote:

I have no idea where to post this, so I'll try here.  Tell me where to post if this is wrong.

I live on the Gulfcoast in Mississippi.  I used to get NBC from New Orleans on channel 1006. Now I get a local channel, WXXVH2, which does not have near the programing that the New Orleans channel has.  Why did U-verse take away the New Orleans NBC channel.  The local NBC channel on the coast in Mississippi is awful.

I want to know why the New Orleans channel was taken away, I used to get it and the local NBC channel, but only watched the New Orleans channel.

Gulf areas of MS is in the Biloxi MS TV market, not the New Orleans market.  When a local (sub)channel started showing NBC, U-Verse opted for that one instead of a town much further away.  

U-Verse has been quite restrictive with territories.  For instance, in SE Wisconsin, some cable ops show both Chicago and Milwaukee stations.  Not U-Verse, it is Milwaukee only.  Same for NW Ohio, only Toledo stations are shown, not Detroit stations.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

10 years ago

How are local affiliates different from other affiliates? Prime time is all the same. The only thing I can think of is the daytime hours which have syndicated programming and the 5-7 time frame which is usually local and national newscasts.

Now, if you get ABC from one city and NBC from another, I can see how some programs could duplicate (and others get missed entirely) but I don't think this is the case.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:
How are local affiliates different from other affiliates? Prime time is all the same. The only thing I can think of is the daytime hours which have syndicated programming and the 5-7 time frame which is usually local and national newscasts.

Now, if you get ABC from one city and NBC from another, I can see how some programs could duplicate (and others get missed entirely) but I don't think this is the case.

I wonder if it's familarity.  Most in that are have always got TV from New Orleans.  That market is new and emerging.  

There was another sub who had issues in the same market with The CW.  Most cable and sat outlets carry CW from NOLA.  But not UV.  There is no CW on UV, in that area.  

Guru

• 

622 Messages

10 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:
How are local affiliates different from other affiliates?.

Two words: local commercials.  The more people forced to watch a particular station because there are no other stations for that network available, the more money that station can charge for its commercial time.

If you are not happy with the fact that a network affiliate is not showing all of the network's shows, then I suggest you write to the network about it; they won't be happy that the station is not airing the show and also not airing the commercials (sold by the network) that go with it!  (I am under the impression that this played a part in San Francisco's KRON losing its NBC affiliation.)

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

10 years ago

"How are local affiliates different from other affiliates?"

New Orleans has better weather forecast department.  

They covered the coast like it was part of New Orleans. Weather forecasts take on much importance down here as hurricane season approaches. (June 1-November 30)

Local station does not have the expertise and experience of NBC New Orleans.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@mpw101 wrote:

"How are local affiliates different from other affiliates?"

New Orleans has better weather forecast department.  

They covered the coast like it was part of New Orleans. Weather forecasts take on much importance down here as hurricane season approaches. (June 1-November 30)

Local station does not have the expertise and experience of NBC New Orleans.

In that case, it does blow but U-Verse will normally only carry one of each Network per market and they always default to the closest or at least in the same state. 

WDSU does have a smartphone weather app available for the two main players (sorry Windows Phone).  Another option would be an over the air (OTA) antenna.  Since WDSU broadcasts on RF channel 43 (UHF) at 1 million watts AND given Gulf Coast propagation of UHF signals, it may be easy to get in your area.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

It is difficult when you live near a big city & want to take advantage of their higher level programming. The main problem is the network system itself. I believe this has been touched on earlier in this thread. The reality is the local station that has a contract with the network owns your viewing rights. Of course, If you can find a way to view the distant station you can do it. But, at&t cannot provide the service.

There is a loophole in this. The market areas were pretty well defined by the reach of the broadcast TV signal. But, some locations were able to receive the distant signal. People got used to watching them. When cable and satellite wanted to carry these stations, the FCC defined them as "frequently viewed" in a county & allowed providers to carry them. That does not mean that they do.

If you are interested check out this link. The important thing is app B that lists the state/county & distant station that is permitted. I see two counties in MS that list NOLA stations.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-24A1.pdf

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

10 years ago

I live in Harrison County and several Lousiana/New Orleans stations are listed in Appendix B.

Harrison

WLOX-TV, 13, Biloxi, MS

+WXXV-TV, 25, Gulfport, MS

WKRG-TV, 5, Mobile, AL

WWL-TV, 4, New Orleans, LA

WDSU, 6, New Orleans, LA – this is the station AT&T used to carry and took away last week.

WVUE, 8, New Orleans, LA

+WGNO, 26, New Orleans, LA

+WNOL-TV, 38, New Orleans, LA

WDSU is on the list of “significantly viewed” stations in Appendix B, so apparently AT&T could have continued to carry it but chose to drop it.

Scholar

• 

81 Messages

10 years ago

This is from the U-verse Programming Change Page 

On or after April 21, for MS, in the Biloxi area, WDSU (Ch. 6 & 1006) and WPMI (Ch. 15 & 1015) may no longer be available. WXXV (Ch. 26 & Ch. 1026) may be moved to channels 6 & 1006. 

http://www.att.com/Common/iptv/files/programming/index.html

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@mpw101 wrote:

I live in Harrison County and several Lousiana/New Orleans stations are listed in Appendix B.

Harrison

WLOX-TV, 13, Biloxi, MS

+WXXV-TV, 25, Gulfport, MS

WKRG-TV, 5, Mobile, AL

WWL-TV, 4, New Orleans, LA

WDSU, 6, New Orleans, LA – this is the station AT&T used to carry and took away last week.

WVUE, 8, New Orleans, LA

+WGNO, 26, New Orleans, LA

+WNOL-TV, 38, New Orleans, LA

WDSU is on the list of “significantly viewed” stations in Appendix B, so apparently AT&T could have continued to carry it but chose to drop it.

Appendix B has to do with Satelite providers.  AND must carry rules don't usually apply, as most stations have went with contracts over must carry.

If WXXV is truly that awful, here is a page of contact info to tell them how to improve.

I'm afraid that this is going to be the way it is - AT&T usually only carries one of each network in any market.  AND who knows, maybe WXXV negotiated with AT&T, that they would be "it" for the area.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.