bluefield86max's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, January 9th, 2012 4:55 PM

tv channels

How to get  the added channel of METV to the Att programming?

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

12 years ago

@jbdet313 wrote:

It looks like Uverse treats that ME TV in Racine/Milwaukee as a regular OTA channel, and that's actually what it was set up as. The channel used to run Jewelry/Shop at Home, and went full power when the new station owner signed up to do ME TV (they were the 3rd station to sign up with Tribune). There aren't any other digital subchannels, though, like This, Cool TV, The Country Network, or others in the local channel part of the lineup. That lineup also includes the low-power stations with America One and TBN, something that they don't do here in the Detroit area.

So it does look like the TRUE digital subchannels of the OTAs aren't carried by Uverse.

WBME is indeed a regular broadcast channel.  That is why it's on U-Verse.  AND it's not a Low Power one, either.  Half a million watts, baby!

As far as UV not carrying sub channels - I'm not sure why they are foot dragging.  A local GM (WXIN 59 / WTTV 4) offered help in getting UV hooked up with subchannels (Antenna TV and Cool TV) and never got a reply from AT&T. Smiley Sad

Guru

• 

778 Messages

12 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of the sub channel programing seems to be syndicated in the same way as any other "cable" channel and not "locally" produced.  All it is, is a local broadcast station offering a "cable" channel over their broadcast system.  So, if that content ("channel") is available to the local broadcaster, there is no reason why AT&T (or any other provider) could not contract with that content provider and add the channel to their line up.  Especially when we are talking about content.channels such as "MeTV", "Antenna TV", etc. 

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

12 years ago

@sbriand wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of the sub channel programing seems to be syndicated in the same way as any other "cable" channel and not "locally" produced.  All it is, is a local broadcast station offering a "cable" channel over their broadcast system.  So, if that content ("channel") is available to the local broadcaster, there is no reason why AT&T (or any other provider) could not contract with that content provider and add the channel to their line up.  Especially when we are talking about content.channels such as "MeTV", "Antenna TV", etc. 

Possibly but it works both ways.  There is no reason that the content provider should not contract with the TV providers to offer the channel.  In fact that is what NBC did with NBC Universal, they decided to offer it to TV providers.

Truthfully, local stations would prefer that Antenna TV, METV and so on, be kept as subchannels so they can fill the subs, sell advertising and promote their other offerings.

Still, i wish AT&T would offer the subchannels.

Guru

• 

778 Messages

12 years ago

Good point on advertising dollars.  I also wonder if the broadcast stations signed those channels to "exclusive" rights in those markets, making it impossible for AT&T to carry that channel in that market, without going through the broadcast channel for carriage rights.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Dish Network definitely carries METV.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

12 years ago

I may be wrong, but I seem to also remember a past discussion where AT&T might be concerned with how the "must-carry" rule would be applied if they offered subchannels. It's possible that if they carried any subchannel they would be required to call ALL subchannels.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

All I know is that when I first obtained UVerse in zip code 60473, a suburb of Chicago three years ago, I was unable to tune into METV and its other two channels. Sometime at the end of last year, beginning of this year, it now tells me it is not available in my area.

I am outraged because you go three miles, Uverse customers have METV.

I love my Uverse; however, this was the straw that broke the camels back. These are all time favorite channels with the classics. Have to have. 

Again, I am outraged that you provided it and then after reading this forum, I still don't understand how for 2.5 years the channels were provided now they're not. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.